Fender chassis strap install question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender chassis strap install question

OY. I finished the tolex on my Bassman combo build, and as my first one, it came out pretty good. I'm happy. I cleaned out the chassis strap bolt holes, and came to a rude awakening, the straps are raised approx 1/16" above the top of the cab. It looks like the holes were supposed to be countersunk, and I did not do that. I never noticed this when I dry fitted everything prior to tolexing.

Are the holes supposed to be countersunk, or is there another metheod to get the straps to lie down flush on the cab? It's pine, so I guess I could bludgeon it with something. I don't know what my options are now.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Can't you still countersink? You will have to be very careful with the tolex, but there should be enough overlap of the strap that you won't see.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yes, the holes are countersunk. But if you have pine you canprobably either torque it down gradually or as you put it, budgeon it.

What I meant by the first option is to tighten it down a little bit, enough to get a dent, leave it a while, loosen it, tighten it down a little bit more & leave it a bit, etc. until you have a nice dent for the straps.

As far as "budgeoning," something spherical used to "blunt-force-trauma" the holes may work, without tearing or shredding the tolex. It would just stretch it a bit, I would hope... Maybe less damaging than drilling. So.ething like a small ball bearing or steel marble about the size of the screw heads?

Just some ideas...

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

How much could you gain by opening the hole in the tolex to allow the recess into the 2 overlapping pieces?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Moore View Post
          How much could you gain by opening the hole in the tolex to allow the recess into the 2 overlapping pieces?
          You actually have the perfect 'countersinking' form in front of you. Without the chassis installed, place the Fender strap and the long screws thru the two holes and thru the cabinet holes. Place a block of hardwood on the strap/screws, and give it a few whacks with a hammer! The strap has a C'sk relief, the screws that fit into it are flatheads, and with the softness of pine, it WILL form the countersink depression just fine!
          Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

You could just use a screw of the same diameter with a fender washer and nut on the underside (with the chassis out.) Tightening it up should crush the pine down. Safer than using a hammer. Don't use the real screw though as you might strip out the head tightening it down that hard.

Comment

"You actually have the perfect 'countersinking' form in front of you. Without the chassis installed, place the Fender strap and the long screws thru the two holes and thru the cabinet holes. Place a block of hardwood on the strap/screws, and give it a few whacks with a hammer! The strap has a C'sk relief, the screws that fit into it are flatheads, and with the softness of pine, it WILL form the countersink depression just fine!"

And indeed it did! Thanks!
              It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Working...
              X