Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help finding a Jackson/Charvel part.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help finding a Jackson/Charvel part.

The past couple months I have been looking for a Jackson/Charvel JT-6 locking nut for my 1988 Jackson. I don't know where else to look so I turned to this to see if anyone has one or knows where I can get one. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Have to ask the obvious , have you tried contacting Fender/Charvel ?? Jackson ?? Can you give us a pic ?? Was it made by Kahler ?? or Floyd Rose ?? With all the locking trems out there, I'm surprised you haven't found one that would work. Unless your trying to keep it all original, which it sounds you are. Welcome to MEF. You might try this place https://www.fretsonthenet.com
    Last edited by shortcircuit; 05-12-2019, 04:05 PM.
    If you don't know where your going any road'll take you there : George Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by shortcircuit View Post
      Have to ask the obvious , have you tried contacting Fender/Charvel ?? Jackson ?? Can you give us a pic ?? Was it made by Kahler ?? or Floyd Rose ?? With all the locking trems out there, I'm surprised you haven't found one that would work. Unless your trying to keep it all original, which it sounds you are. Welcome to MEF. You might try this place https://www.fretsonthenet.com
      I have contacted Jackson but I have not gotten a response yet. I am pretty sure it was made by Jackson but I am not 100% sure. Also yes I am trying to keep it authentic.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHorizon View Post
        I have contacted Jackson but I have not gotten a response yet. I am pretty sure it was made by Jackson but I am not 100% sure. Also yes I am trying to keep it authentic.
        Stamped Jackson , Lisc. Floyd Rose, I believe . One on Ebay, just ended on the 11th, might be worth looking into https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Jackson-Char...-/182122001983 .

Comment

Not trying to be a turd, but I wouldn't worry about "keeping it authentic". I doubt anybody is going to notice that "Jackson" or whatever isn't stamped on it. There are plenty of the same parts on eBay that will look nearly identical and function just as well.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

JT-6 will be probably hard to find because it was (I think) only made for a couple years in the 80s. I have a couple Charvel Model 6s and a Jackson Soloist all from 1988 and all 3 had the JT-6. I could be slightly off but I think JT-6 was only made 1986-1988.

It was made by Jackson and it was a licensed Floyd Rose design. So basically it was a floyd rose but made with cheap, soft metal. They actually stay in tune good and are one of the better Floyd Rose licensed bridges

I would think Jackson can't and wont' help. It was made 30 years ago when Jackson owned Jackson. Jackson was bought by Fender in 1991.

I would get a real Floyd Rose and be done with it. Sure, you'll have to drop the money but it will stay in tune as good as JT-6 and you won't have to worry about the cheap pot-metal allen key adjustments stripping out. I put a real floyd on my Soloist, hmmm wonder what ever happened to the JT-6. Struggling to remember but I think I sold it on ebay in the mid 2000s. I always wanted to replace the JT-6 on my Charvel model 6 with a real floyd but I guess it worked good enough because now it's 10 years later and it's still on there.

Or you gotta wait it out and look on ebay. Or go to the Jackson guitar forum. I bet those people would know.
            Last edited by nsubulysses; 05-15-2019, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I understand your desire to keep it original but that licensed Floyd Rose Jackson stuff was decent but it honestly really sucks compared to real Floyd Rose. They metal is so soft it strips easily and doesn't clamp the string good for the locking mechanism at the nut. THe locking mechanism at the bridge is better and works fine but still, a real floyd is truly better and will likely never strip out.

Anyway looking through my old junk I found some of the old JT-6 locking mechanisms for the lock at the end of the neck. Not sure if you are looking for parts for the neck or on the bridge. You can replace the JT-6 locking mechanism at the nut with a real floyd rose like I did here and it's a big improvement. I could not find an actual JT-6 bridge so yeah, I'd bet money I sold it on ebay years ago

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3066.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	853816

Name:	IMG_3065.jpg
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	853817

Name:	IMG_3064.jpg
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	853818

Edit: just looked and there are tons of JT-6 bridges on ebay so I guess you must be looking for the locking nut
              Last edited by nsubulysses; 05-15-2019, 08:34 PM.

Comment

For those saying that I should just get a new floyd rose I did at one point. I do not have the tools or time to fit a new system on, so I brought the guitar to some luthiers and all of them said that they did not want to do it because they didn't want to modify the guitar and keeping it original would be a better option. So I ended up returning it. I guess I will just have to keep checking Ebay hoping one will come up.

Comment

There is nothing to do. 4 screws at the nut unscrewed and screwed back in and you have replaced your JT-6 locking mechanism with a floyd one.

The Floyd Rose bridge you just unattach the 3 springs that are attached to the JT-6 bridge and attach them to the floyd. The floyd fits fine on the JT-6 mounting posts that are already installed.

The beauty of those old jackson is the locking nut goes behind the real nut on the fretboard. later they changed it to the locking nut IS the nut. Is your guitar the same as the one I posted? all 3 of mine are from 1988 and are the same as teh one I posted, two Charvel Model 6 and one Jackson Soloist

Comment

I would guess a Floyd Rose is similar to a solid state amp in the eyes of a lot of service people. They will say sorry I don't work on these items. What they really mean is, "this is kind of hard so if I can't make my money easily on this I'm not doing it. Please allow me to get back to installing a new input jack on this Les Paul for $100 per hour."

also what areyou looking for? The locking mechanism for the nut or the locking mechanism for the bridge??? Is it the same one as the picture I posted? The whole thing or you just need a screw, or the metal plate that clamps the string?
                    Last edited by nsubulysses; 05-16-2019, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
                      I would guess a Floyd Rose is similar to a solid state amp in the eyes of a lot of service people. They will say sorry I don't work on these items. What they really mean is, "this is kind of hard so if I can't make my money easily on this I'm not doing it. Please allow me to get back to installing a new input jack on this Les Paul for $100 per hour."

also what areyou looking for? The locking mechanism for the nut or the locking mechanism for the bridge??? Is it the same one as the picture I posted? The whole thing or you just need a screw, or the metal plate that clamps the string?
                      It is a 1988 Jackson Soloist and I am looking for a plate and a screw for the locking mechanism behind the nut. It looks to be the same as your picture shows.

Comment

I dropped a line to Floyd Rose , Do you have any locking nut ,that would replace a Jackson
                        JT-6 without major modification??
                        here is the reply
                        "The nut you will need for your Jackson is the R3. "
                        Sincerely,
                        Dave Yockey
                        Floyd Rose Support
                        Original locking nut, size R3 , $30 plus/s&h , if you want a 1980's , ebay,reverb, craigslist,garage sale, good luck, happy hunting.

Comment

You can get the R3 at stewmac, and some cheaper models at Amazon.
                          https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...g_Nut_Set.html
                          https://www.amazon.com/s?k=R3+lockin...f=nb_sb_noss_2
                          GL,
                          T
                          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
                            It was made 30 years ago when Jackson owned Jackson. Jackson was bought by Fender in 1991.
                            Not sure if you're aware, but there was also the time in between the two points you referenced, when Jackson was owned by AMIC (Akai Musical Instruments Corp.)

@OP
                            Fender *might* be able to help (if they kept leftover stock, but given how most companies these days tend to not carry parts over 5 years old...) your best bet is probably going to remain Reverb or Ebay.

You'll need the dimensions of the nut though, as there were frequently several options, depending on the width and shelf on the fretboard. (Sorry for the generalization, but I can't place the model ATM)
                            Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

Working...
                            X