Get nipples.How can I get rid of ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get nipples.How can I get rid of ?

Hello, I.m asking for a solution to get rid by horrible artefacts in my circuit. I remember I read somewhere there are due to overloading of power tubes and it was suggested to raise the value of grid stoppers as solution. It was raised progressively from 5.6k, 10k to 22k now. I have to stop over there to not raise the grid leak value over the specs. But let me to understand what can be done,please. I post a sketch and traces. In yellow is OT output at 4 ohm tap and blue the power grids with 47vpk signal applied. The bias set at 43v. Can You help, please? Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190513_011734.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	874576

Name:	20190513_013328.jpg
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	874577

Edit : the voltages from sketch are idling voltages. The supply slide 50v around to full throtle
    Last edited by catalin gramada; 05-13-2019, 12:52 AM.
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Changing grid stopper with 47k, the same results. Grid leak changed to 100k for confidence.

Name:	20190513_044714.jpg
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	853802
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

And this is without feedback applied:

Name:	20190513_050919.jpg
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	853803

Can someone explain what is going on ? How to apply some nfb without to get nasty artefacts, please ? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
        I remember I read somewhere there are due to overloading of power tubes and it was suggested to raise the value of grid stoppers as solution.
        That's confusing. Are the grid stop resistors supposed to mitigate "overloading"? and how? What does overloading mean? The OT primary impedance is too low? Are we just talking about drive to the power tube grids? Nope...

The power tubes can easily be in full square wave shape when overdriven. You're not even close to that in those shots. I think what you have is a parasitic oscillation. Since it's manifesting more with the NFB connected I would suggest you route the NFB lead to the tail of the PI away from the preamp circuitry and ground the PI tail and it's supply capacitor separate from the preamp. The problem may go deeper, but this is a place to start.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

And get the same nipple with almost same amount of nfb direct into PI tail

Name:	20190513_054316.jpg
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	853804

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            That's confusing. Are the grid stop resistors supposed to mitigate "overloading"? and how? What does overloading mean? The OT primary impedance is too low? Are we just talking about drive to the power tube grids? Nope...

The power tubes can easily be in full square wave shape when overdriven. You're not even close to that in those shots. I think what you have is a parasitic oscillation. Since it's manifesting more with the NFB connected I would suggest you route the NFB lead to the tail of the PI away from the preamp circuitry and ground the PI tail and it's supply capacitor separate from the preamp. The problem may go deeper, but this is a place to start.

Name:	20190513_054843.jpg
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	853805

Think is drive enough, the nipple is still there, but bigger. The feedback wire is proper routed, tight twisted 4ohm tap through nfb resistor and common directly over shunt resistor grounded directly into ground point stage, meant also decoupling cap, and yes, far away by sensitive circuit or leads.

Comment

And get the same nipple with almost same amount of nfb direct into PI tail
              Where else were you applying NFB? And why do you have the same gain with and without NFB applied??? I think there must be an error in the circuit. Though I can't say what other than it's possible your NFB is PFB (positive feedback) and that is causing the instability.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

The trace looks very similar with what is happen there: http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/cathodyne.html.

Comment

The trace looks very similar with what is happen there: http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/cathodyne.html.
                  Does this amp have a cathodyne PI? I thought this might be the amp from your earlier thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                    Where else were you applying NFB? And why do you have the same gain with and without NFB applied??? I think there must be an error in the circuit. Though I can't say what other than it's possible your NFB is PFB (positive feedback) and that is causing the instability.
                    If you take a look on my sketch the first PI s was applied into cathode of the first stage before inverter, which is DC coupled with that. I changed just to check with 100ohm resistor into pi tail and is the same

Comment

No , it is a DC coupled ltp

Comment

Those nipple appears exactly in the moment when voltage peak into power grids is identical with dc bias voltage. NFB can be applied either in PI tail or into cathode of previous stage equally as it is not any supplementary pole in between. I just checked in both for the same amount with the same results.And is clear a nfb consequence as time without nfb the nipples are not present. The frequency for test was 400 CPS.
                        Last edited by catalin gramada; 05-13-2019, 06:11 AM.

Comment

And why do you think those nipples are wrong?

All you can hear is what´s present at plates, which through transformer appears at speaker terminals, why do you care at all about what happens at power tube grids or PI plates?

That amplifier is working as expected.
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                            why do you care at all about what happens at power tube grids or PI plates?
                            Thank You.
                            No good ?

Comment

To add to what Juan said -
                              The nipple on the grid is when the power tube is turned off so its plate voltage can't follow the input signal. The negative feedback loop tries to make the plate follow the input by driving the grid more negative. When you see the nipple on the grid that power tube is turned off so it is not contributing to the signal at the speaker.

Comment

Working...
                              X