Is removal of tolex adhesive necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
    It's a sad commentary that many governments "fix" problems by simply making something illegal, and saying to the public "There, I fixed the underlying problem by making some minor aspect of it difficult to do for ordinary citizens who would never take part in it anyway. Sadly, this does nothing to cure the issues with people who do [whatever] massively, with criminal intent. So you should vote to re-elect me so I can "cure" the problem some more by further interfering in the lives of people who are not really part of the problem anyway. But it will get fix-ed-er. So vote for me and maybe I can parlay this into a long career being professionally outraged and eventually get rich on lobbying and a government pension."

Uh-oh. I was cynical there, wasn't I? Sorry. It's been a tough day.
    Not cynical at all, in fact you quite underrate it.

I mentioned before itīs hard for me to buy 1 liter of Toluene and impossible/illegal to get more, being a legitimate user who uses it for tolexing.
    As in brush and tools cleaning, and thinning adhesive which becomes too thick, the stuff evaporates real fast.
    And "reviving" adhesive surfaces which went beyond the tacky point.

Yet Drug Lords get them by the 200 liter/55 gallon drums:

Notice the damn 55 gallon drums are *everywhere*.

Also 20 gallon "family size" jugs:

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Back to topic.

I just covered a Marshall 2x10 cab, that was still tacky, after stripping the old tolex had some little balls of maybe old tolex stuck in it, and was otherwise looking not too bad. I cleaned it with a stiff brush as best I could. I applied two coats of contact cement, which I think 'melted' the minor potential intruders, to the cab. I applied 3M 80 vinyl adhesive to the backside of the tolex. After letting everyting get tacky, I am happy with the results. I can see no abnormalities in the surface of the new tolex after rolling, despite the little specks of whatever, and I am now going to sleep well tonight knowing I did not have to sand and strip and make everything smooth as some would insist.
      It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
        I mentioned before itīs hard for me to buy 1 liter of Toluene and impossible/illegal to get more, being a legitimate user who uses it for tolexing.
        Impressive how much tolexing goes on out there in the jungle! Who knew? Well, they say you should have good ventilation what with all the solvents & glue & whatnot.

Well guarded too. I s'pose the army likes their gear looking snappy. Do they get the fashionable camouflage pattern tolex?
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
        X