JBL 2418H tweeter repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBL 2418H tweeter repair

I'm trying to solder to the coil but solder won't stick. I've tried aluminum solder, still no luck.
    I would like to scrape the coil wire end clean but it's too fragile.
    Anyone done this before? I know I can order a new diaphragm for $45 shipped but I'd like to fix it today.

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...1&d=1557953232
    Attached Files

Back in the day.. I would use my girlfriend’s finger nail polish remover (acetone) and a Qtip. I would solder it with flux.. Then use her clear lacquer finger nail polish to stabilize and insulate the repair. USUALLY.. this was a field repair that would only last a couple of shows. But it can be done... and can last longer. Better if you can let the lacquer dry for a day..

Comment

I've had mixed results trying to fix them. They don't often stay fixed. IMO, just replace it. Also, FWIW, I've used these often with good results. I've not had any come back unless they're abused and burnt.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement...WXq0f&LH_BIN=1
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Same as above. I've done it but it is very difficult to get the wire clean so the solder will stick.
        Can't remember for sure, but I think I peeled the wire back enough so I could secure it with forceps or something and sanded it clean, made the connection, then glued it back into position.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

You're all right. It's probably not worth the trouble. The seller at the link above does not ship to Canada so I found another in China.
          4 for 26USD including shipping. At least if one is bad I'll have 3 others

I've fixed tweeters before and used aluminum solder successfully. In this case I think the wire just needs to be cleaned. I will keep trying while
          I wait for the order to arrive.

Comment

If you do try to repair it, clean the wire well and use plenty of flux. I've repaired them in an emergency, but I wouldn't recommend it as a permanent fix.
            Good Luck!
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Itīs rectangular aluminum wire, so standard flux does not work.

That said, they do apply whatīs called a "flash" copper coating over aluminum, to help in soldering, and it works for *them*, but said "flash" is atoms deep, so any kind of scratching removes it.

I guess the reports of people having partial success comes either from plain solder + flux attaching to microscopic copper "islands" remaining which is mechanically weak or plain solder cooling *around* aluminum wire and "clamping" it .... an iffy connection at best, similar to the solder ring around a dirty component leg.

Never had access to "aluminum solder" (Multicore/Ersin makes one version) so canīt comment on that.

I tried home making some aluminum flux but it was VERY nasty/corrosive (specially to my lungs) being based on fluoride salts which decomposed into fluorhidric acid when heated, a nightmare on every count,so after a couple very cautious experiments I junked it.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

This is what I was using, I bought it about 30 years ago. I wonder if the flux is still good?

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...1&d=1558015321
                Attached Files

Comment

Digi-Key sells this Chip-Qwik product called Aluminum Solder Paste. Shelf life is 1 year!

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detai...DAL-ND/8681821

Comment

JBL tweeter membrane manufacturing technology is very complicated, and membrane cannot be repaired at home.
                    I once bought a replacement membrane on ebay for $ 39.99. De facto it was refurbished membrane and it worked
                    about 5 min. Genuine membrane for JBL tweeters is very expensive, there is no alternative but to buy the original one.

Comment

Did I say earlier "NASTY CHEMICALS"?

Straight from MSDS sheet:

REVISED BY: Chip Quik Product Safety
                      PRODUCT USE: Soldering components for bonding semiconductor chips and packages to circuit boards. This product is for industrial use only.
                      2. HAZARD IDENTIFICATION
                      Classified in accordance with European CLP Regulation 1272/2008
                      Acute Tox. 4
                      Skins Sens. 1
                      Aquatic Acute 1
                      Aquatic Chronic 1
                      CHEMICAL NAME: NA
                      CHEMICAL FAMILY: Mixture
                      CHEMICAL FORMULA: Proprietary
                      ROUTES OF ENTRY: Inhalation, Ingestion, Skin/Eye Contact

consumption.
                      3. COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
                      Classified in accordance with European CLP Regulation 1272/2008
                      Hazardous Ingredients
                      ACGIH
                      TLV
                      TWA
                      2 funny comments:

Chip Quik Inc. does not recommend, manufacture, market, or endorse any of its products for human consumption
                      and:

< 4 or 5% NON Hazardous substances.

PD: you are showing me the Time Machine: that was the exact Ersin AluSolder I was offered long ago and which I stupidly did not buy on the spot ... then fully disappeared.

MAYBE the Chemist mixing it touched the paste without gloves and ....

https://youtu.be/TdUsyXQ8Wrs?t=68
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                      X