Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tube Glove----what do you use to handle hot tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Glove----what do you use to handle hot tubes?

After 10 years of using the soft-rubber Electro-Harmonix Tube Glove in pulling hot tubes from their sockets, besides NOT using anything, or using my soft cotton photography gloves, the EH Tube Glove is getting long in the tooth, and at some point, it won't be intact. I went to buy a fresh one, and found it's been discontinued.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Electro-Harmonix Tube Glove.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	874584

Granted, while it has been convenient, it's useless in handling KT-88's, 6550's and other larger diameter bottles. There, I'm usually using my dual 120mm fan box to cool them down, having turned power off and waiting, using the cotton photography gloves.

Does anyone know a US source for these EH Tube Gloves? What do you all use in handling hot tubes?
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

I use knitted Kevlar gloves:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0236.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	853822
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I just use the nearest cloth or towel, but I'm not doing this stuff every day. If I was I'd look at grippy silicone oven glove or pot holder.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
        I use knitted Kevlar gloves:
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]53639[/ATTACH]
        Ohhh........I think I like those! Looks like something you'd find thru Scientific Lab Supply vendors?

Comment

Bar towel.. usually after blowing a fuse..

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
            Ohhh........I think I like those! Looks like something you'd find thru Scientific Lab Supply vendors?
            Yes we used them in our lab. Don't remember where I bought them decades ago. You surely find similar ones at Amazon. Just search for Nomex/Kevlar gloves.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
              Yes we used them in our lab. Don't remember where I bought them decades ago. You surely find similar ones at Amazon. Just search for Nomex/Kevlar gloves.
              Yup.....I found a similar pair, though had to sift thru a few vendors who always want to charge more than $10 shpg for a pair of $5 gloves! Found a pair w/shpg + tax for about $11. Thanks!

Comment

My rubber tube glove says GE on it, and is decades old. But the rubber is crumbling.

People confuse tubes and projector lamps. You can touch the tube when it is hot, you cannot touch hot projector lamps. So for tubes, no special materials are needed.

I use a shop towel. A silicone oven glove would work fine I am sure.

I love the rubber glove tube thingie, but really that is mostly good for impressing visitors, I usually just use a rag.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

250°C is about the max. envelope temperature of power tubes.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Discontinued?
                    Bummer. I have a couple of those.

Of course half the time I can't find them so I use old socks that I use as rags for cleaning.

Comment

All reasonable prices. https://www.google.com/search?q=sili...w=1366&bih=662

Check Walmart if you need something today.

nosaj
                      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I usually just use a shop rag, myself. How often does a person need to remove hot tubes?
                        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

While I myself have pulled many a hot tube (using an old undershirt usually !)

I think it's better for the socket, and perhaps the tube itself if you wait until it cools down (if possible), as the socket is sometimes very "Grippy" and prying a hot tube out might cause some additional damage, or at least more wear and tear.

I am not at this hobby too long, so take what I just said with a grain of salt if you have experience that says otherwise. One of my amps in particular was barely played when I got it, and the power and rectifier tube are hard to get out cold, and when things are hot, all the worse.
                          " Things change, not always for the better. " - Leo_Gnardo

Comment

I bet a pair old socks, one inside the other to increase thickness should work fine.
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

A decades old, threadbare Eukanuba dog food branded hankerchief.
                              It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Working...
                              X