Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flat Head cup washers on Fender Amps...what are they really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Head cup washers on Fender Amps...what are they really?

After spinning my wheels at McMaster-Carr not finding those neat little Nickel plated # 6 cup washers that sit into the countersunk holes on the rear panels of all the Fender Combo Amps, I again had to ask WHAT ARE these called then. Cup Washers only yield above-the-surface countersunk washers. Finally found that answer. Flush Washers. Nickel plated steel.

Found a bag of 100 pcs at Amazon.com for $13.96 + tax/shpg. More than I wanted to pay for something like that, but....I"m sure buying tiny qty's of Fender Packed parts would have been WAY more than that.

Now, can I find that full-thread long # 6 Nickel plated steel that passes thru the Flush Washer and into the cleats?

Fender calls them out as Screw SMA #6x1 OHP NI, which translates to #6 Sheet Metal Screw A-Point Oval Head Philips Nickel Plate. I found the same in Stainless Steel here
    https://www.boltdepot.com/Sheet_meta...el_18-8_6.aspx

That came to a touch over $9 with shpg. I'm forever dropping that stinkin' Flush Washer while trying to get the rear panel out far enough to keep the screws still intact in the panel, while finally free of the cleat. Hits the floor with a football bounce, and it's all over.
    Last edited by nevetslab; 05-16-2019, 11:35 PM.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Thanks nevetslab, I'd been meaning to look for those for some 1/4 -20 oval head machine screws. Here is a selection at Spaenaur:

https://spaenaur.com/wp-content/uplo...ashers-D68.pdf

They are in Ontario and have a huge selection of fasteners. Unfortunately their catalogue has been out of print for years and it is very hard to find things on the website.

Andy

Comment

MSC industrial supply also has a large selection of fasteners as well as anything you can imagine.

I've used them for years and never a bad experience.

Comment

My local Ace has washers/screws in both zinc, and stainless. Unless needing to be period correct they work fine. Andf I think look OK.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	PB7.jpg.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	853823

Comment

Originally posted by ric View Post
          MSC industrial supply also has a large selection of fasteners as well as anything you can imagine.

I've used them for years and never a bad experience.
          I checked out their Website, similar in what they carry to McMaster-Carr. I was able to hone in quickly on the #6 x 1" SMA PH screws like Fender uses, they carrying them both in plated steel as well as Stainless Steel. The Flush washers was more challenging. They carried some 73 or so countersink washers of various types, including the Flush Washers that Fender uses. Only MSC doesn't list their cup washers by screw size (???!?). They list it by dimensions......just to make ya nuts.

Thanks for the resource........always handy to have more options

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Moore View Post
            My local Ace has washers/screws in both zinc, and stainless. Unless needing to be period correct they work fine. Andf I think look OK.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]53641[/ATTACH]
            Those DO look nice on that amp! Nice Tolex job on the cabinet! I do have the flat-surface cup washers on hand, but hadn't gone looking for the Flush Washers until yesterday, and with a large inventory of Fender amps in our rental dept, I was looking to restore the original hardware as much as possible, hence my quest.

Comment

Thanks, the amp belonged to my nephew, (no longer with us), needed a cab, so thought I'd do something a little special with it. I gave it to my daughter for her "music room", and she started crying when I brought it in. (They were really good friends).

Comment

Working...
              X