Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H&K ATS Sixty Hybrid Amp Troubleshooting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H&K ATS Sixty Hybrid Amp Troubleshooting?

Situation:
    1.Amp turns on, red power light on and speaker produces a humming sound on high volume. ( I consider this Normal )
    2.Tube Overdrive turns on, red power light on and tube glows.
    3.Guitar plugged in and no sound.
    4.No sound over headphone port.

5.If I strum the guitar while powering down the amp, i can hear it over the headphone port a second before the amp runs out of juice!
    The amp also makes the characteristic tube¿/?transistor powering down noise.

I am a rookie!
    Greetings from Germany, Eckernförde

+Update :
    - Replaced Tube
    - Clean channel works
    - Overdrive channel, extremely faint sound
    Last edited by Pingu; 05-18-2019, 04:16 AM.

Please Help Thank you

Comment

Update+

There is sound when plugged into the effects return!

So, this mean I have to replace the Only tube in this amp?

Comment

Welcome.
        Read this thread and do the tests suggested there: https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ad.php?t=28549
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
          Welcome.
          Read this thread and do the tests suggested there: https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ad.php?t=28549
          Update+

I replaced the tube...
          Now the "Clean Channel" works, but when I switch on the "The Tube Overdrive Channel" there is still no signal coming out of the speaker.

I did this and still no sound during "Tube Overdrive" :
          "Another option is to use a short 1/4" patch cable and route the signal from the send to the return bypassing the switch. This is especially good if you are out on a gig."

Comment

Update+

Cleaned all the the jacks with a cotton tip. Result was a really faint signal with Tube Overdrive Channel on. I am now using rolled up pieces of paper towel to soak the jacks with cleaning agent.
            Will proceed to clean jacks... maybe it is the "Dreaded Switching Jack Problem" ...

Comment

Originally posted by Pingu View Post
              Update+

Cleaned all the the jacks with a cotton tip. Result was a really faint signal with Tube Overdrive Channel on. I am now using rolled up pieces of paper towel to soak the jacks with cleaning agent.
              Will proceed to clean jacks... maybe it is the "Dreaded Switching Jack Problem" ...
              Still only a faint signal to be heard .

My trouble shooting skills are at an end... Currently reading up in the internet to gain more knowledge.
              Support is much appreciated.

Schematic:
              https://music-electronics-forum.com/...5&d=1371649909

Last edited by Pingu; 05-17-2019, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Still only a faint signal to be heard .

My trouble shooting skills are at an end... Currently reading up in the internet to gain more knowledge.
                Support is much appreciated.

Schematic:
                https://music-electronics-forum.com/...5&d=1371649909

Do you still have faint sound when using headphones on the headphone jack?
                Also if you give it an Ole Enzo Whack(Hit the top of the amp with your fist) do you hear the reverb tank crashing?

nosaj
                soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

The tube is not used for the clean channel, only the overdrive channel uses the tube.
                  With the tube removed, you should find that the clean channel still works properly.
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                    Also if you give it an Ole Enzo Whack(Hit the top of the amp with your fist) do you hear the reverb tank crashing?

nosaj
                    Yes, the sound is still faint to non existent over the headphone jack. Reverb tank drips and sounds like it is supposed to on the clean channel.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                      The tube is not used for the clean channel, only the overdrive channel uses the tube.
                      With the tube removed, you should find that the clean channel still works properly.
                      The Clean channel only started to sound after I replaced the over 20yr. old tube.
                      I recall somebody saying that in this amp, the signal always passes through the tube. (I may be wrong) The overdrive channel just does exactly that, it pushes the tube (tubey distortion).
                      The Clean channel has a "Vol." knob as well. And if you turn it all the way up it produces a creamy driven sound.

Comment

+

- Clean channel works
                        - Overdrive channel, extremely faint sound
                        (Volume+Gain+Master turned to max)

^Could this be due to dried up electrolytic capacitors ???

-OR-

Where would i start checking resistance?

Schematic : https://music-electronics-forum.com/...5&d=1371649909

Last edited by Pingu; 05-18-2019, 11:39 AM.

Comment

The Clean channel only started to sound after I replaced the over 20yr. old tube.
                          I recall somebody saying that in this amp, the signal always passes through the tube. (I may be wrong) The overdrive channel just does exactly that, it pushes the tube (tubey distortion).
                          The Clean channel has a "Vol." knob as well. And if you turn it all the way up it produces a creamy driven sound.
                          Do you have an audio probe? If not make one https://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/debug.html
                          nosaj

Comment

nosaj
                            "Also if you give it an Ole Enzo Whack(Hit the top of the amp with your fist) do you hear the reverb tank crashing?"

I have two of these Amps.

In the broken amp the speaker crackles and pops when I smack the "spring tank" while in the clean channel... the overdrive produces nothing clearly audible over the humming.

The other/normally functioning okay amp produces a healthy spring crashing/swinging sound.

!

But the springtank works when played by guitar through clean.

Comment

Do you have an audio probe? If not make one https://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/debug.html
                              nosaj
                              Once you have the audio probe built , lets check for signal . i will typically take an mp3 player plug it into the input jack and let it play while I search for signal. Normally I'm not concerned with how it sound but more or less the volume ramping up if starting at the input or ramping down if starting from the speaker jack.

Disconnect your speaker, plug in mp3 player, probe IC2 pin5, then pin 7, then check pin 3 then pin 1 , then r37. Then report back.

nosaj

Comment

Working...
                              X