Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney VC30 whistling when signal wires near cap on pc board

Hi there

After putting on some new pots to a 1995 Laney VC30 I noticed it whistles when the pot's signal wires get close to or touch a smallish orange drop capacitor (C9), is this something I should address with layout and make sure the wires will stay away from it (it's pretty closely packed) or is it maybe a failing capacitor and I could help it by replacing? Also, nearby, C10 (which is in the signal path) is quite noisy when 'chopsticked', is this to be expected or should I order one of those while I am at it?

It is, in general, fairly hummy (50Hz, UK) despite having the can cap and the 3 biggest filter caps replaced, does anyone know of any obvious source on this particular amp? I'll be slowly working through everything to try and track it down but thought I'd ask if there's a known particular culprit in these amps!

Thanks in advance for any help!

VC30.pdf
    Last edited by OwenM; 05-17-2019, 11:06 AM.

caps are microphones,so yes,you need to avoid running grid wires near them,and maybe use some quality film or multilayer ceramic.
    50Hz hum is mainly heater induced or a bad grounding point or a bad tube.
    Once you rule out tubes and solderings,i suggest elevating heater center tap.

Comment

Great info, thanks I'll dive in!

Comment

Working...
      X