Thread: Repair shop policy: abandoned gear and unpaid repairs

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 37/0
    Given: 41/0

Repair shop policy: abandoned gear and unpaid repairs

Regarding abandoned gear and unpaid repairs, how long to you keep stuff around before selling it off to try to recoup? Is there any California law to quote on this issue?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 811/100
    Given: 113/33
    Quote Originally Posted by xtian View Post
    Regarding abandoned gear and unpaid repairs, how long to you keep stuff around before selling it off to try to recoup? Is there any California law to quote on this issue?
    Send a certified letter to the owner stating how much time before equip will be liquidated an if they still want it they have that much time to make good on the arrangement or ce la vie. After that you shouldn't feel bad about selling it. You HAVE to get PAID.

nosaj

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 111/1
    Given: 0/0
    Yeah, we're always joking about stuff that hasn't been picked up for a few weeks going on E-bay.

A phone call warning of this usually does the trick!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 37/0
    Given: 41/0
    Well, in this case, a gentleman in his 60s dropped the amp off with me, and I collected only his name and phone number. Inspected, put in new power tubes, biased. Communication was good, but then he flew out of town to visit his mother, and she died. Even during the next couple of weeks, communication was good. Then, nothing. Voicemail only for the past two weeks, no replies at all.

I'm not in a rush, and am certainly willing to offer this guy every consideration. But I have no other way to contact him.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 811/100
    Given: 113/33
    Quote Originally Posted by xtian View Post
    Well, in this case, a gentleman in his 60s dropped the amp off with me, and I collected only his name and phone number. Inspected, put in new power tubes, biased. Communication was good, but then he flew out of town to visit his mother, and she died. Even during the next couple of weeks, communication was good. Then, nothing. Voicemail only for the past two weeks, no replies at all.

I'm not in a rush, and am certainly willing to offer this guy every consideration. But I have no other way to contact him.
    In this instance I think the right thing is to wait . He could be still dealing with the death of his mother. I'd put it aside and look into in 6months time.
    Since you know his situation, put yourself in his shoes and dealing with the death of your mother.

nosaj

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 48/0
    Given: 22/0
    I think that particular situation calls for a lot of patience.
    My shop is auto repair, and in the fine print of the estimate, that there is a lien on the vehicle, and after repairs are completed, there is a $5 per day storage charge. I usually have no problem with folks picking up the repaired vehicle, but many don't want to pay for tear down/diagnosis, (which is quoted in the estimate they signed). I let them sit for a few months, and if they are still here, I file a lien. (I usually make a little money whether I repair them or not).

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 829/1
    Given: 683/1
    Quote Originally Posted by drewl View Post
    Yeah, we're always joking about stuff that hasn't been picked up for a few weeks going on E-bay.

A phone call warning of this usually does the trick!
    I'm sure it's different from state to state, but that doesn't work (legally) here. When I had my own place, I had a long chat about this very thing with my attorney. In SD, you need to send a registered letter (signature required) so that you can prove to the courts, should you have to, that the customer was notified in writing. Maybe your state is different.

“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 50/0
    Given: 169/0
    I agree with nosaj.

A parent or close family death requires more time, for sure. People lose there way and it takes time to get back into the swing of things. If you are in depressed state, you forget about the unimportant trivial things in life, until you get back on your feet. Ask me how I know...

Thread Information