Repair shop policy: abandoned gear and unpaid repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
    You might want to modify that because right and cheap is what I would choose but I don't think that's reality.
    nosaj
    Click image for larger version

Name:	good-fast-or-cheap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	854113
    If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
    I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

^^^^^ THAT ^^^^^
      Thanks!

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
        You might want to modify that because right and cheap is what I would choose but I don't think that's reality.
        nosaj
        Then you're gonna be waiting a while.

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
          Are you saying that to make the empty threat is illegal? I was reading the "I'm gonna list it on eBay if you don't get it soon" as an empty threat (but the customer may not know it's empty). I can see where there would be a requirement of a certified letter, but couldn't the empty threat be a sort of "can I try this free option BEFORE I have to shell out to go the official legal way"?

Just curious.

Justin
          Nope. As far as I know, making the threat is not illegal. The problem arises, in my state, if you sell the repair to recoup your repair costs. If then, the customer shows up to get his repair and you no longer possess it, he could say that he was never notified and you have no proof that he was. He could take you to small claims court and sue for the cost of the item. I don't think it's against the law to threaten him with selling the item, but actually selling it without proper notification could result in you having to reimburse him the value of the item. That is what I was told by my attorney.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
            Nope. As far as I know, making the threat is not illegal. The problem arises, in my state, if you sell the repair to recoup your repair costs. If then, the customer shows up to get his repair and you no longer possess it, he could say that he was never notified and you have no proof that he was. He could take you to small claims court and sue for the cost of the item. I don't think it's against the law to threaten him with selling the item, but actually selling it without proper notification could result in you having to reimburse him the value of the item. That is what I was told by my attorney.
            Then a certified letter would cover that for you provided it's the amp owners signature.
            nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Isn't there something you could have the customers sign when they drop off the amp? Before learning amp repair I used to take my amps to a field service repair shop. You would sign for an estimated price for the repair. Basically you authorized to do the repair for $150 or less and they would call you to authorize a repair that would cost more than the $150. Most repairs that I had them do were $50-100.

In that same signed agreement it specified something about abandoned gear left 90 days after repair date and how they would dispose of the item. Now a days you could even require your customer to receive a text message or email, in addition to the phone call, as a way to communicate that the repair is completed. Text and emails are not foolproof in court but they can help. Bottom line... get customers current address info for certified mail.
              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

20 or 30 years ago such statues were enforced in CA. If my memory serves me, you ere required to send a registered letter. If the letter was unanswered within 90 days, it was yours. Some people also had print on their signed contract that they charged x$ a day/week for storage 30 days after the completed repair. Same effect. No one is going to pay 10x what something is worth to pick it up. We also always charged an estimate fee. That kept people from dropping off junk they never extended to pick up.

Comment

Funny, guy who tortured me with the Twin volume reduction brought me a Tele for the fourth time to change out a pickup. He asked if he could stay and wait, and since he has a 45 one way drive, I agreed. He hovered over the work and was in there "Helping" every time he thought I needed a third hand, suggest a way to do something (removed a totally stripped screw) or to shine the flashlight in my eyes. I wanted to ask him how did he think I ever got anything done all by my little self, but I bit my tongue. I DID wish I had that sign posted to point at, though.
                  It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

What about the case where the guy bringing in the item to be repaired, doesn't really own it, he's still making payments ? More of a problem when repairing cars or houses.
                    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
                    X