Adding 8 ohm output to Vox AC30TB6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding 8 ohm output to Vox AC30TB6

I have a "Korg era" 1993 Vox AC30TB6. I read on a forum that this amp's output transformer has an unused 8 ohm tap. Can anyone verify this? I was told the green wire terminating to the PCB is the 8 ohm wire (See photo). From the output transformer I see a black wires, one blue wire, and the green wire. There is also the thicker black wire running from the PBC to the 16 ohm jack. I assume this is a ground wire?

Does anyone know how I can add the 8 ohm tap or if this is possible? Would it be as simple as grounding the new 8 ohm output jack just as the exsisting 16 ohm one and running the green wire to the new 8 ohm jack the same way as the blue one is on the stock 16 ohm jack? I understand I could really screw up my amp if I did this wrong...

IMG_20190517_160721 by Zachary J Drummond, on Flickr

If you can find transformer specs, that would be ideal. Otherwise, grab your meter and see what the DC resistance is compared to the other taps. It shouldn't be hard to figure out from there.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Determining output impedance from DCR can be tricky. But it would tell if the green wire is a secondary tap.

I would connect a 16 Ohm dummy to the regular output, feed a signal and adjust the output voltage to say 20Vrms. The voltage between the green wire and ground should then measure 14.14 Vrms if it's an 8 Ohm tap.

Is this the appropriate schematic?

https://www.korguk.com/voxcircuits/c...s/ac3093pa.jpg
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
        Determining output impedance from DCR can be tricky. But it would tell if the green wire is a secondary tap......
        I agree..... with no reference. In this case, we have a known 4 ohm tap and a known 16 ohm tap. If the mystery wire is an 8 ohm tap, the DCR ought to be somewhere in between the DCR of the other taps.

Comment

we have a known 4 ohm tap
          Not that I knew?
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Ah crap. I misread. My apologies. Carry on.

Comment

Determining output impedance from DCR can be tricky. But it would tell if the green wire is a secondary tap.

I would connect a 16 Ohm dummy to the regular output, feed a signal and adjust the output voltage to say 20Vrms. The voltage between the green wire and ground should then measure 14.14 Vrms if it's an 8 Ohm tap.

I believe that is the correct schematic. I'm not super electronics-literate. I'm mostly a player. It seems like I should just take this to a tech. I was hoping for a straightforward answer. I really don't want to ruin my beloved Vox though.

Comment

Expounding on this beautiful link provided look what it gives us.https://www.korguk.com/voxcircuits/Organized schematics

nosaj
                soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Here is a picture of the transformer that matches the schematic from post #3.
                  If yours has the same number on the sticker (TXMA 00013), you can proceed as you stated in post #1.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1477_0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	853827
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                    Here is a picture of the transformer that matches the schematic from post #3.
                    If yours has the same number on the sticker (TXMA 00013), you can proceed as you stated in post #1.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53651[/ATTACH]
                    My transformers do not have any stickers on them. I guess I'll need a tech to check it out with a meter. I wish I knew how to do this stuff myself.

Comment

https://www.partsisparts.net/catalog/vox-ac30-output-transformer-0

In vintage AC30s, the two (blue or silver frame AlNiCo) speakers are 8 ohms each and connected in series for a total of 16 ohms.

Wires
                      Primaries Yellow – Red – White (center tapped, push pull)
                      4k Ohms center tapped

Secondaries
                      Ground Black
                      8 Ohms Green
                      16 Ohms Blue

8 / 16 ohm outputs for Vox AC30
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by vintagekiki; 05-18-2019, 09:32 PM.
                      It's All Over Now

Comment

The transformer code in the Korg circuit seems to be a Drake (as used by Marshall) number: 784-413.
                        In principle the green tap could have been a 4 or 8 Ohm tap.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

https://www.etronic-parts.com/OUTLET/Output-transformer-Vox-AC30::1477.html
                          Output transformer for vox AC30, TXMA-00013. Drake PNr.: 784-413
                          Attached Files
                          It's All Over Now

Comment

Working...
                          X