No announcement yet.

What, am I a Wizard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is true. If you can fix things that are electronic you are a wizard in the eyes of most people. A circuit or electonics in general is mysticism or voodoo to the general public so.....your skill may get you in some weird situations.

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
      It is true. If you can fix things that are electronic you are a wizard in the eyes of most people. A circuit or electonics in general is mysticism or voodoo to the general public so.....your skill may get you in some weird situations.
      True that. Some people assume that because I repair amps, my so called talent extends to all things electronic. "Hey can you fix this 1961 all germanium transistor hot-chassis color TV I inherited from my granny? Don't turn me down - I know you can do it!"
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
        True that. Some people assume that because I repair amps, my so called talent extends to all things electronic. "Hey can you fix this 1961 all germanium transistor hot-chassis color TV I inherited from my granny? Don't turn me down - I know you can do it!"
        Old car radios.. argh..

Comment

I hate working on anything mechanical. Not a fan of trying to figure out moving parts, aligning gears, taking the stuff apart and re-greasing, etc. I get in the occasional old turntable, karaoke machine with CD player, and other assorted such things. I cringe when I walk in the shop door and see that sort of thing sitting there. I'd rather mess with the digital stuff.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
            I hate working on anything mechanical. Not a fan of trying to figure out moving parts, aligning gears, taking the stuff apart and re-greasing, etc. I get in the occasional old turntable, karaoke machine with CD player, and other assorted such things. I cringe when I walk in the shop door and see that sort of thing sitting there. I'd rather mess with the digital stuff.
            This wizard just had to work on his wifes transmission. Radiator cracked nissan pathfinder flooded transmission with water. Flushed out transmission and replaced the valve body and TCM and now were back to 2 vehicals. But that's part of being poor you just have to learn how to do things if you can't pay someone to do it.

nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I learned amp repair after I felt bilked by a tech...

Justin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Heck, I was working on mini-bikes, motorcycles and cars before electronic stuff.

But I get what you mean.
                People are always bringing me weird stuff.
                A
                One guy I've done a bunch of amp work for was almost upset because I didn't want to take a look at the tv he trash picked!

Comment

Dude!!!

I love juke boxes. They are VERY mechanical, especially the Seeberg ones. Of course I like rebuilding the juke amplifiers too.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Just got a Tascam Portastudio DP-01 in for repair, just says "Please wait..." on the screen. Well, internal 5.25" hard drive not spinning at all, even though supply voltages are good. Off to eBay--yes! Exact replacement drive available for one Jackson. See? Technology is easy.
                    --
                    I build and repair guitar amps
                    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

I might have taken the opportunity to upgrade to a SSD.
                      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                        This wizard just had to work on his wifes transmission. Radiator cracked nissan pathfinder flooded transmission with water. Flushed out transmission and replaced the valve body and TCM and now were back to 2 vehicals. But that's part of being poor you just have to learn how to do things if you can't pay someone to do it.

nosaj
                        Same here, not specifically servicing (although there´s some of that too) but unavailability or extreme cost or "can´t get just one" parts made me learn rewinding and then getting the machine; getting sheet metal shears and folders when my supplier started rising prices or not interested on "just a couple" of anything, got punchers and dies when I needed non round holes; learnt silkscreening, got the stuff and setup the screen burning lab, including a Litho film darkroom (we are talking way before inkjet and laser printers) and so on and on and on.

That said, "every machine I ever bought ended up cost free" since in continuous use they pay themselves.

Thinking in setting up a small CNC machine and maybe even a 3D printer, main problem being "old dog learns no new tricks" and I must learn the related programming skills.
                        Oh well.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
                          People are always bringing me weird stuff. One guy I've done a bunch of amp work for was almost upset because I didn't want to take a look at the tv he trash picked!
                          I've had several well meaning customers propose a "fantastic business deal" to me. They will scan fleaBay, Craigslist, the PennySpender & whatever else, pick up a load of busted gear for me to fix. Then I get paid when they sell it. Nothing could go wrong there, right? Hm, a cross between Sanford & Son and McGyver... and The Honeymooners. "Alice we're gonna be millionaires!" Gosh they get so upset when I turn 'em down. "See this pile of busted stuff? Owners will definitely pay when they get their prize back in working order. Gotta get back to work now Ralph. No time for dodgy deals, thanks!" Waah, waah, waaaaaah....

A new twist on the olde theme in the last couple days. Owner of the local pub where I go to see my friends bands has bought a building in a rather notorious city about 14 miles away and across the river. He's fixed up the place intending to rent spaces to artistes and artisans. Turns out he wants to promote a biz within that building, selling tube gear. Bad enough we have 2 generations who are satisfied with ear buds plugged into their plastic pocket pals. HiFi is a hard sell these days, and guitar/bass amps expensive enough to make a living nearly the same. I can't see commuting 30 mile round trips to maybe someday collect a sub-minimum paycheck. Heck I can do that at home! All I can say is "Good luck Charlie!"

Comment

True that. Some people assume that because I repair amps, my so called talent extends to all things electronic.
                            Or electric, I once opened the door and a neighbour was standing there holding a toaster. “I was told you work with electronics. Can you fix my toaster? It won't pop up” she said. I looked down the slots, there was about half a loaf of old breadcrumbs clogging it up so I opened the little flap on the bottom and shook them out. “There you go” She was delighted, said it worked a treat after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
                              Or electric, I once opened the door and a neighbour was standing there holding a toaster. “I was told you work with electronics. Can you fix my toaster? It won't pop up” she said. I looked down the slots, there was about half a loaf of old breadcrumbs clogging it up so I opened the little flap on the bottom and shook them out. “There you go” She was delighted, said it worked a treat after that.
                              Excellent work there. You'll be on call for everything now. Toast Lady will be back when her electric toothbrush packs up. Look at it this way, you have a new friend who believes you're a genie!

Comment

Owner of the local pub where I go to see my friends bands has bought a building in a rather notorious city about 14 miles away and across the river..."
                                COME ON! WHICH NOTORIOUS CITY?

Tell us!

Justin
                                "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                                "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                                "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
                                X