VHT Pitbull 45 troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHT Pitbull 45 troubles

On my bench is a broken VHT Pitbull 45 with blown filter caps, one slightly smoked 1watts resistor, no signal and no schematics. The amp has two double sided pcbs, which are absolutely hard to remove, due to several hard wired stuff like switches mounted from outside to faceplate and other components like rectifier tube socket etc.....lots of wires to unsolder to get the boards out. Unfortunately I could not get/find schematics, so any link, advice and information would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Zouto

VHT is now under the name Fryette, I dont believe the circuits of this amp changed after VHT was bought out. You might have better luck searching for schematics under the name Fryette.
    Aside from that, if you do start taking things apart to access components, take lots of pictures to refer back to upon reassembly.

I had the same problem working on a Diezel VH4 a little while ago.
    Filter caps were leaky and they were partially covered by a PCB that was almost impossible to remove.
    I was extra carefull and was able to navigate my iron around the bottom of the chassis to swap the filter caps without removing any of the PCB or components.
    I used zip ties to keep wires away from my iron and clear the path to the filter caps.
    I doubt I'll take another one of those amps on again.

Best of luck

Comment

I've worked on a few of these. They won't send you schematics, but are more than willing to help if you contact them directly. Shoot them an email and/or give them a call. They helped me identify a few smoked resistors that were burnt beyond recognition. I recall one of the Pitbulls that I worked on used an EL84 for a reverb driver. The customer had installed a 12AX7. Without a schematic, it took me a while to figure this out. That was what caused the burnt resistors. I'm not saying this applies to the amp you're working on, but something to consider.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I hope the dude is right. last time I tried they told me to send the amp in to them so the guy with the broken amp just got a badcat instead. He had already sent it in to them to be repaired a few years previous and it cost about $300.

This amp head a really damning problem, intermittent pop/crackle/ swooshing noise. I think it was coming from the channel switching circuit but I could never figure it out and eventually gave up. With no schematic you are kinda SOL. The amp sounded good though, except when you stop playing :\

Comment

Working...
        X