Thread: Lesson learned, don't use black sharpie on red tolex!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 544/0
    Given: 99/0

Lesson learned, don't use black sharpie on red tolex!

Or any other light color for that matter. I used it on a black tolex job recently which went well, and thought nothing of marking out some things on a red tolex job I am about to do. Luckily it was mostly on the margins that will be cut off, but I did use it to outline the back panel of a 2x12 Marshall cab. It shows right through now, but it will be against black and on an edge where it shouldn't be seen. I did write on one side panel, I'll shoot that cab panel black and hope for the best I guess. Doh!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,116/102
    Given: 151/36
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    Or any other light color for that matter. I used it on a black tolex job recently which went well, and thought nothing of marking out some things on a red tolex job I am about to do. Luckily it was mostly on the margins that will be cut off, but I did use it to outline the back panel of a 2x12 Marshall cab. It shows right through now, but it will be against black and on an edge where it shouldn't be seen. I did write on one side panel, I'll shoot that cab panel black and hope for the best I guess. Doh!
    Or you could try marking on the backside of the tolex.
    Ok or use a roller ball ink pen.
    nosaj

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nosaj; 05-24-2019 at 12:46 AM.
    Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,254/1
    Given: 969/1
    The way I read it, Randall says, "It shows right through now", so I think he did mark on the backside.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Thumbs Up/Down
    "The way I read it, Randall says, "It shows right through now", so I think he did mark on the backside"

Of course is was the backside, why would you mark up the front?

Thumbs Up/Down
    "The way I read it, Randall says, "It shows right through now", so I think he did mark on the backside"

Of course is was the backside, why would you mark up the front?
    We've all done questionable things when looked at in a different light.

nosaj

Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 683/6
    Given: 1,335/9
    Like taking a hammer to a toilet with no gloves. Shrapnel's a bitch!

Sorry, just had ro vent about my latest Dumbis moment.

Jusrin

"Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 347/5
    Given: 239/0
    Well I have not worked with red tolex and probably would have used a black sharpie when measuring to cut. So thanks for the heads up warning. 👍

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,883/23
    Given: 1,463/35
    Why would *anybody* use solvent type, a.k.a. "PERMANENT" (hint hint) marker on Tolex is way beyond me.

Kids: repeat with me:

1) Tolex-is-porous

2) avoid using solvents to "clean" Tolex.
    Least they will do is soak through it, remove and splotch colours, etc. (any colour but black that is)

The point being that if you use a solvent based marker it will go where you don´t want to and trying to clean it will be a mess.

3) even a ballpoint pen which uses grease based ink (hint: only removable with solvents) can be dangerous.

4) if at all needed, try to use water based stuff, or chalk (I use seamstress/tailors type chalk, which allows for quite precise marking and can be removed if necessary with a damp cloth opr plain brushing away)

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by J M Fahey; 05-25-2019 at 02:17 PM.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 252/1
    Given: 106/2
    Quote Originally Posted by J M Fahey View Post
    4) if at all needed, try to use water based stuff, or chalk (I use seamstress/tailors type chalk, which allows for quite precise marking and can be removed if necessary with a damp cloth opr plain brushing away)

And it looks like big guitar picks!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,417/21
    Given: 1,207/0
    Quote Originally Posted by glebert View Post
    And it looks like big guitar picks!
    I'm likin' that! I was gonna suggest china marker. And I have a box of old yellow overhead-projector pencils, left over from the days when dinosaurs stalked the earth (1960's). But these fall afoul of the "no grease based" rule. Oh well. I'll leave the tolexing to those who are expert. Luckily we have an excellent cab builder & repair guy in New Rochelle NY, not too far away. I've seen him do miracle work & recommend him all the time.

Enjoy. Every. Sandwich.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,411/4
    Given: 2,793/0
    FWIW, Randall, I've only covered a couple of cabinets and none in red. Without the benefit of your experience I might well have made the same mistake.

"In fact when I run into problems working on electronic circuirts, there are so many times that when I finally track it down, the source of the problem is located between my soldering iron and my seat." SoulFetish

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 63/0
    Given: 43/0
    I never have thought about using a sharpie, I have some white pencils that work well. (I have always used them when making gaskets that are difficult to buy!)

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 435/0
    Given: 1,171/1
    In my vast experience (I've done TWO cabinets ) I used a chalk line for the long cuts. Probably because I'm really bad with straight lines! I probably did use sharpie for outlining the glue areas. I must have lucked out, working with wine-colored vinyl. Good caveat going forward. I appreciate the post, Randall

If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
    FWIW, Randall, I've only covered a couple of cabinets and none in red. Without the benefit of your experience I might well have made the same mistake.
    Not a 100% on this but I think Sharpie brand markers will look purple under black lights(bars, clubs , what not)

nosaj

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
    Not a 100% on this but I think Sharpie brand markers will look purple under black lights(bars, clubs , what not)

nosaj
    I may never know. On one cabinet (also "wine" eschertron, but tolex) I only marked the back panels. So you'd never see it from the front. The other was a Gibson clone in fawn for a harmonica player that I'm no longer in contact with. Maybe he's enjoying the mystery script under the right light.

"In fact when I run into problems working on electronic circuirts, there are so many times that when I finally track it down, the source of the problem is located between my soldering iron and my seat." SoulFetish

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

Thumbs Up/Down
    I may never know. On one cabinet (also "wine" eschertron, but tolex) I only marked the back panels. So you'd never see it from the front. The other was a Gibson clone in fawn for a harmonica player that I'm no longer in contact with. Maybe he's enjoying the mystery script under the right light.
    After he's cleaned up that crystaline substance you left there

nosaj

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
    After he's cleaned up that crystaline substance you left there

nosaj
    Honestly...

As a mushroom hunter in the PNW I enjoy finding and even picking the psilocybes for their rarity and the "Oooh! I'm getting away with something." that comes with it. At over fifty years old I haven't had the nerve to actually play with any of them. I had my fun trying more stuff than most in my youth, including "shrooms" and LSD. Now I just have anxiety around the idea of being off my game for even a minute. As an adult in a domestic circumstance there's always the chance that I'll need to step up or be the pin man. I just don't have a six hour window when that absolutely couldn't happen

Thumbs Up/Down
    Honestly...

As a mushroom hunter in the PNW I enjoy finding and even picking the psilocybes for their rarity and the "Oooh! I'm getting away with something." that comes with it. At over fifty years old I haven't had the nerve to actually play with any of them. I had my fun trying more stuff than most in my youth, including "shrooms" and LSD. Now I just have anxiety around the idea of being off my game for even a minute. As an adult in a domestic circumstance there's always the chance that I'll need to step up or be the pin man. I just don't have a six hour window when that absolutely couldn't happen
    Yes i have finally come around myself , It's that damn thing they call growing up. I'm not always happy about being the only one to step up but when I do I'm glad that I was able to. Sometimes when I get tired of being the only one to step I have to step back and realize it wasn't until I turned 40 that I put away childish habits, so I have to give lots of slack like was given me. That POV can be hard to come by some days though.
    But I'll never stop trying trying to be funny
    nosaj

Thumbs Up/Down
    The cab came out quite well. You cannot see any of the markings. I shot one spot where I had written "side" with some flat black on the cab. I think that, plus the glue saved me. But, never again!

Here is the cab before corners are installed. Ask me how I know you need new rivets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	521.6 KB 
ID:	53704

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    The cab came out quite well. You cannot see any of the markings. I shot one spot where I had written "side" with some flat black on the cab. I think that, plus the glue saved me. But, never again!

Here is the cab before corners are installed. Ask me how I know you need new rivets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	521.6 KB 
ID:	53704
    Looks pretty darn good there.

Ok How do you know I need new rivets....?

nosaj

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,883/23
    Given: 1,463/35
    Looks very good.

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 683/6
    Given: 1,335/9
    Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red
    SIGGED!

Jusrin

"Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Thumbs Up/Down
    It's called British Red Levaunt. The official Marshall stuff costs more than twice as much, and AFAIK isn't much different. I will post the answer to the rivets over on my rivets post.

Thread Information