Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lesson learned, don't use black sharpie on red tolex!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesson learned, don't use black sharpie on red tolex!

Or any other light color for that matter. I used it on a black tolex job recently which went well, and thought nothing of marking out some things on a red tolex job I am about to do. Luckily it was mostly on the margins that will be cut off, but I did use it to outline the back panel of a 2x12 Marshall cab. It shows right through now, but it will be against black and on an edge where it shouldn't be seen. I did write on one side panel, I'll shoot that cab panel black and hope for the best I guess. Doh!
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Originally posted by Randall View Post
    Or any other light color for that matter. I used it on a black tolex job recently which went well, and thought nothing of marking out some things on a red tolex job I am about to do. Luckily it was mostly on the margins that will be cut off, but I did use it to outline the back panel of a 2x12 Marshall cab. It shows right through now, but it will be against black and on an edge where it shouldn't be seen. I did write on one side panel, I'll shoot that cab panel black and hope for the best I guess. Doh!
    Or you could try marking on the backside of the tolex.
    Ok or use a roller ball ink pen.
    nosaj
    Last edited by nosaj; 05-23-2019, 10:46 PM.
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

The way I read it, Randall says, "It shows right through now", so I think he did mark on the backside.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

"The way I read it, Randall says, "It shows right through now", so I think he did mark on the backside"

Of course is was the backside, why would you mark up the front?
        It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
          "The way I read it, Randall says, "It shows right through now", so I think he did mark on the backside"

Of course is was the backside, why would you mark up the front?
          We've all done questionable things when looked at in a different light.

nosaj

Comment

Like taking a hammer to a toilet with no gloves. Shrapnel's a bitch!

Sorry, just had ro vent about my latest Dumbis moment.

Jusrin
            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Well I have not worked with red tolex and probably would have used a black sharpie when measuring to cut. So thanks for the heads up warning. 👍
              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Why would *anybody* use solvent type, a.k.a. "PERMANENT" (hint hint) marker on Tolex is way beyond me.

Kids: repeat with me:

1) Tolex-is-porous

2) avoid using solvents to "clean" Tolex.
                Least they will do is soak through it, remove and splotch colours, etc. (any colour but black that is)

The point being that if you use a solvent based marker it will go where you don´t want to and trying to clean it will be a mess.

3) even a ballpoint pen which uses grease based ink (hint: only removable with solvents) can be dangerous.

4) if at all needed, try to use water based stuff, or chalk (I use seamstress/tailors type chalk, which allows for quite precise marking and can be removed if necessary with a damp cloth opr plain brushing away)

Last edited by J M Fahey; 05-25-2019, 12:17 PM.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                  4) if at all needed, try to use water based stuff, or chalk (I use seamstress/tailors type chalk, which allows for quite precise marking and can be removed if necessary with a damp cloth opr plain brushing away)

And it looks like big guitar picks!

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
                    And it looks like big guitar picks!
                    I'm likin' that! I was gonna suggest china marker. And I have a box of old yellow overhead-projector pencils, left over from the days when dinosaurs stalked the earth (1960's). But these fall afoul of the "no grease based" rule. Oh well. I'll leave the tolexing to those who are expert. Luckily we have an excellent cab builder & repair guy in New Rochelle NY, not too far away. I've seen him do miracle work & recommend him all the time.
                    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

FWIW, Randall, I've only covered a couple of cabinets and none in red. Without the benefit of your experience I might well have made the same mistake.
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I never have thought about using a sharpie, I have some white pencils that work well. (I have always used them when making gaskets that are difficult to buy!)

Comment

In my vast experience (I've done TWO cabinets ) I used a chalk line for the long cuts. Probably because I'm really bad with straight lines! I probably did use sharpie for outlining the glue areas. I must have lucked out, working with wine-colored vinyl. Good caveat going forward. I appreciate the post, Randall
                          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                            FWIW, Randall, I've only covered a couple of cabinets and none in red. Without the benefit of your experience I might well have made the same mistake.
                            Not a 100% on this but I think Sharpie brand markers will look purple under black lights(bars, clubs , what not)

nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                              Not a 100% on this but I think Sharpie brand markers will look purple under black lights(bars, clubs , what not)

nosaj
                              I may never know. On one cabinet (also "wine" eschertron, but tolex) I only marked the back panels. So you'd never see it from the front. The other was a Gibson clone in fawn for a harmonica player that I'm no longer in contact with. Maybe he's enjoying the mystery script under the right light.
                              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                              X