Effects loop. why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, that’s it.
    Regarding distortion pedals, the electroharmonix soul food is cheap enough, maybe £40 secondhand, and can sound quite reasonable.
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

As plain as I can put it, and it's been put plain enough ten times already, if you run the effects into distortion you distort the effects. This distorts the affect of the effect () If you run the distortion into the effects you effect the distortion and preserve the affect of the effect. I can't explain it any better. And it should be absolutely clear by now and not understanding can only be a matter of not knowing it first hand. So get a damned dirt box and a couple of effect pedals experiment with their order in the signal chain so you can hear it first hand. Or don't. But by now the continued not understanding is really starting to seem like an intentional unwillingness to do so.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Ok understood.. but for the fact that I hear effects 90% of the time, from what I hear from recorded music, used ontop of a clean sound, rarely if ever in conjuunction with distortion. In fact I can't think of anything used with distortion apart from a phaser, in rather obscure US indie stuff from 90's (& excellent that period was too). Not in my collection anyway. I bet they all used vintage/ proper amps anyway without effects loops too (nirvana, mudhoney, sebadoh, ween etc not exactly effects laden music either, far from it).

Comment

Effects get used on distorted guitars all the time. You've never heard reverb or delay applied to a distorted guitar track? And almost always it's the distortion going into the effects and not the effects going into the distortion. If you have effects pedals and a distortion pedal you can hear it for yourself first hand in real time.

One fun thing to play with is trying the wah pedal both before and after a distortion pedal. It works both ways and both are good for different things. I'm a wah before the distortion guy myself.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Well, reverb is in the amp, if the player is worth his salt. Delay, I think only U2 & Police stuff I have in my Lp's that has it.. but clean almost all of it. Ok wah-wah I forgot & the very occasional phaser.. but that's about all. Still 95% of effects guitar stuff is onto a clean sound Id say so I don't understand the effects loop/ distortion thing. Tbh I don't like any solo-dickery macho URH-ROCK stuff, at all eg the 90's US indie stuff tended to turn backs on solos & the twat macho gtrwankery that went with it, & I hope to god it'll never rear its dreadful head again/ I don't think anyone would dare to now they'd be mocked & rightfully so, unless you're that grandad rock numpty bonamasa (embarrassing music that seems to be the -only, thankfully- exception in the main), who seems to buck the trend without being laughed at, god knows how. This old school arena-rock thing I think is where most distortion + effects lurk. shudder. & so I don't really know much of it.

Comment

But by now the continued not understanding is really starting to seem like an intentional unwillingness to do so.
              This whole thing is close to that tale about the frog that lived on the bottom of a dry well and refused to believe there's a world outside of it.

The guy doesn't know that other than clean or clean to mild overdrive amps exist and asking about gain and volume. Will you just give me a break please!
              Maybe next thing that will have to be explained here is what is a guitar, why it has strings and how come there are those thing called pickups...

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
                Ok understood.. but for the fact that I hear effects 90% of the time, from what I hear from recorded music, used ontop of a clean sound, rarely if ever in conjuunction with distortion. In fact I can't think of anything used with distortion apart from a phaser, in rather obscure US indie stuff from 90's (& excellent that period was too). Not in my collection anyway. I bet they all used vintage/ proper amps anyway without effects loops too (nirvana, mudhoney, sebadoh, ween etc not exactly effects laden music either, far from it).
                All of those bands used effects of some sort or another. Like SupaFuzzBigMuff.
                nosaj
                soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

For some reason the super fuzzed guitar strums in the tune Strange Brew by Cream (Decades ago) came to mind. SUper distorted and quite obviously then reverberated.

The guitar lick in the Rolling Stones mega-hit Satisfaction is heavily distorted and then reverberated.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                    All of those bands used effects of some sort or another. Like SupaFuzzBigMuff.
                    nosaj
                    Yes but alone.. is my very point. I'm saying effects are 90% of the time laid over a clean sound, rarely -with- a distortion (in whatver form pedal or amp-made). The only odd exception being WITH a rare wah/wah, or very rarely a phaser. Not with the stuff I listen to/ collect thank you very much.. many post punk stuff you practically -never- hear an effect with distortion, in all their recordings (Pixies, Fugazi for eg). Its all that solo-cockingtons schtick where all the effects WITH distortion reside.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                      For some reason the super fuzzed guitar strums in the tune Strange Brew by Cream (Decades ago) came to mind. SUper distorted and quite obviously then reverberated.

The guitar lick in the Rolling Stones mega-hit Satisfaction is heavily distorted and then reverberated.
                      Yes but again.. its the amp reverb. Not a distortion pedal (eg in an effects loop circuit/ the thread) into another reverb pedal.

Its simply one distortion pedal into amp in 1st band eg, or purely the amp's distortion with amp reverb in the Stones eg.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
                        Yes but alone.. is my very point. I'm saying effects are 90% of the time laid over a clean sound, rarely -with- a distortion (in whatver form pedal or amp-made). The only odd exception being WITH a rare wah/wah, or very rarely a phaser. Not with the stuff I listen to/ collect thank you very much.. many post punk stuff you practically -never- hear an effect with distortion, in all their recordings (Pixies, Fugazi for eg). Its all that solo-cockingtons schtick where all the effects WITH distortion reside.
                        https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...rundown-pixies
                        http://www.effectsbay.com/2010/09/fu...ry-guest-post/

Well if anything you have good musical taste for late 80's 90's artist.
                        A band like the The Flaming Lips would mix up effects very interestingly.
                        nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                          https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...rundown-pixies
                          http://www.effectsbay.com/2010/09/fu...ry-guest-post/

Well if anything you have good musical taste for late 80's 90's artist.
                          A band like the The Flaming Lips would mix up effects very interestingly.
                          nosaj
                          Yep.. but Flaming Lips are not my cup of tea. I just don't do all that spacey effects thing. As a rule. oh damn hang on a tick. the very last Lp I bought 2 weeks ago.. was Ozric Tentacles! hahaha!! & I score a huge own goal. BUT.. a super-rare exception/ spur 30 yr old nostalgia trip/ I saw Lp in an antiques shop, one I lost 30 yrs ago! & wow I tell you what, its as good as it was back then too: wah, delay, distortion, mushrooms, solos, hair, reverb, massive phasing, every fkn pedal & effect known to man.. that'll blow Enzo's hat off.

Just dig the 1st song at least (nice chimey marshall tone cutting thru the pedals tho if you lisyen.. & a good place for me to bow out having eaten my humble pie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lv7c0RmT8E

Comment

Try Pink Floyd or Joe Satriani
                            Distortion+Delay galore

Comment

You know, it could be that you've just never had a problem with it because the general ignorance of the musicians themselves is assumed by the guys that design the gear. Literally MOST of the time just plugging stuff together vaguely as it's supposed to be does work because of this. But believe me when I say that there can be problems. And everybody gets to decide what's a problem for them... Enter the effects loop

Seriously, just play with the order of effects and distortion in your pedal chain and it'll all become clear. Some people are more or less sensitive to the issues than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                                You know, it could be that you've just never had a problem with it because the general ignorance of the musicians themselves is assumed by the guys that design the gear. Literally MOST of the time just plugging stuff together vaguely as it's supposed to be does work because of this. But believe me when I say that there can be problems. And everybody gets to decide what's a problem for them... Enter the effects loop

Seriously, just play with the order of effects and distortion in your pedal chain and it'll all become clear. Some people are more or less sensitive to the issues than others.
                                Could you explain Literally? I just don't get it.......

nosaj

Comment

Working...
                                X