Effects loop. why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g1 View Post
    You are a very lucky man. One of my few regrets is not gone to see Mr. Smith but they rarely played Canada, and not even til '93 as far as I know.
    g1 ever seen (your/ vancouver) nomeanso? a great pair of talented brothers, great grandads, play heavy hocky punk. by god theyre good & from a gtr pov.. the most divine bass sound you'll ever hear, & playing with it too.

Here's their alter-ego band The Hanson Brothers (unashamadly ramones-based) see the great grandad play his bass. see the retarded man play his gtr, & the assh*le frontman.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OC0LYPHNNA

Comment

If Nomeansno played 'winterpeg' between 80-85 it's pretty likely I saw them.
      Haven't seen the Hanson's, that's my kind of bass tone though. Coincidentally, gotta run, game 3 of the final round of NHL Stanley Cup playoffs is starting.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Loved the Hanson brothers vid

With the plastic frame glasses (and the drummer even had the tape in the middle) and the hockey theme I can't help but wonder if this isn't a reference to the Hanson brothers from the movie Slap Shot. Not that it matters to the music. But perhaps a nod to the attitude
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

It'll be exactly that Chuck. its so straight up. I have a dvd & tommy's playing the retard so hard he drools long stringing gobules all night, a fixed vacant stare.. apart from barking 1234!

I have a hunch the bass set up's basically into a -gtr rig- I saw nomeansno & he blew 2 SF bassman heads, running ~flat out of course, I think thats his std (he often blows heads funny that).. but my hunch is he tried into a gtr 4-12 & stuck there. may be entirely wrong. of course sound alot down to the individual gtr, but seen him play another bass & sound is identical. It beats Lemmy's sound in my book- & that's saying something.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

With the plastic frame glasses (and the drummer even had the tape in the middle) and the hockey theme I can't help but wonder if this isn't a reference to the Hanson brothers from the movie Slap Shot.

Yes, it's based on the hockey flick. That movie is almost sacred up here.
            Fellow Vancouver punk band DOA did a cover of 'Takin' Care of Business' (BTO) with a hockey video that was also very successful up here. Not a great cover, but fun video. I imagine those Van. bands all probably played hockey together.

Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

With the plastic frame glasses (and the drummer even had the tape in the middle) and the hockey theme I can't help but wonder if this isn't a reference to the Hanson brothers from the movie Slap Shot. Not that it matters to the music. But perhaps a nod to the attitude
              One for you Chuck- the best recording of Hansons/ my dvd dammit! show warms up perfectly. Prob top of my list.. should I ever get the chance to see them. mm.. not in wild remote UK I dont think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhPWTvnwLAk

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                If Nomeansno played 'winterpeg' between 80-85 it's pretty likely I saw them.
                Haven't seen the Hanson's, that's my kind of bass tone though. Coincidentally, gotta run, game 3 of the final round of NHL Stanley Cup playoffs is starting.
                Are the Starfish Rooms Winnipeg? one for you G1 anyway (an acquired taste to most, but the 'real' Wright Brothers = NOMEANSNO): god I loved my gig days so many nights just like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjRt5KrlNc4

Comment

Agree with Chuck H’s 1st reply. FX loops are especially nice for delay, phaser, chorus, flanger, frequency-comb/harmonic, or other similar complex signal processing FX. Much nicer to do these after the pre-amp. Also, if a parallel FX loop, can be handy for running a second/multiple amp(s) or a backup DI into a PA. Switchable parallel/series FX loops can also be configured as extra gain stages. You can have all sorts of fun with them.
                  Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

For a time when I gigged I use to run a pair of Mesa Subway Blues amps with an A/B pedal at the inputs (each with a selected pedal chain), both effects sends went to my Quadreverb input and the Quadreverb stereo outputs went, one each, to the Mesa effects inputs. Channel switching with selected input effects and full stereo imaging from the loops I also had a MIDI controller on the Qverb to select patches for whatever song we were playing. It was fun, but I got way more compliments on my tone and had more "playing" fun when I switched to a vintage Marshal head with a couple of pedals on the floor
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                    X