Teleish homebrew - noise in bridge pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teleish homebrew - noise in bridge pickup

I have a telecaster like build with a generic telecaster rip-off pickup in the bridge position. It has some noise problem that sounds kind of similar to a ground loop problem (high pitch hiss guitar amps). The neck pick-up sounds good.

Any suggestions to whats going on? A ground loop should not be possible but I'm going to check the groundings even so.
    In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Wanting to reverse the leads on my tele's bridge pup without unstringing and taking the bridge plate off I ended up with trouble because the lead that had been ground was still attached to the plate...only now it was the hot lead.

Forgotten plate ground after getting the nk and br in sync?

Comment

Originally posted by überfuzz View Post
      I have a telecaster like build with a generic telecaster rip-off pickup in the bridge position. It has some noise problem that sounds kind of similar to a ground loop problem (high pitch hiss guitar amps). The neck pick-up sounds good.

Any suggestions to whats going on? A ground loop should not be possible but I'm going to check the groundings even so.
      Hiss isn’t normally a ground loop. Hiss in general has little to do with pickups or even wiring. With a situation like yours I would start by wiring the pickup straight to the jack. Make sure the bridge ground is connected. Still have a problem? No problem.. do the same thing to the other pickup. No problem? Connect the switch. No problem connect the the volume control.. then the tone control. Telly’s are easy because of the control plate. Make sure you don’t have computer/cell noise or something radiating into it as well..

Comment

What Old dog said, plus make sure the bridge baseplate is grounded.
        Another thing with Single coils, they are quietest if the bobbin start lead, is grounded. (The start lead, usually connected to the black wire, is the winding wire on the bobbin next to the magnets)
        The Finish lead, (usually connected to the white, or yellow wire) is the magnet wire on the top of the bobbin, it would be the output lead.
        Sometimes these leads get flipped over for reverse polarity. They will work flipped over, but it's not ideal.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Working...
        X