Coin base power tube retention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coin base power tube retention

I've got a Peavey Classic 60/60 tube power amp that someone retubed with 5881 WXT (I think) "coin base" tubes. They work and sound fine, but I worry about tube retention. The amp has beartrap style retaining clips, and the teeth on these would contact the glass on the tubes, which seems to me a risk of cracking the tubes. I spread the jaws open for now so that they don't contact, but in the long term I think they need retainers, especially since this is rackmount and it may get transported in who knows what orientation. Anyone have any tricks to retain these types of tubes without removing the beartraps? If I have to switch out the retainers I would probably just retube and use the coin base ones around the shop or something.

Thanks,
    Greg

Originally posted by glebert View Post
    The amp has beartrap style retaining clips, and the teeth on these would contact the glass on the tubes, which seems to me a risk of cracking the tubes.
    Yes you have cause for worry, I've seen Sovtek 5881 get cracked by bear trap retainers too many times now. Either go for spring clip retainers or swap out your coin/wafer bases for tubes that have the ordinary plastic bases.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
    X