Strat trem tune spiel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat trem tune spiel.

Anyone know a trick to keep strings from going out of tune using the trem on a strat? I followed a gtr tech's YTube clip, a while ago.. but weirdly just can't get the hang of it again. Any soloutions for you?

SC
    Last edited by Sea Chief; 05-31-2019, 08:09 PM.

Normally.. it’s any point of friction with the strings. First though... make sure you know how to put on strings correctly and stretch them in. I’ve had to show gigging guitarist with 30 years experience how to ”lock” their strings. (They also tend to “deck” their trems.) Once that is stable.. pencil lead in the nut slots and on the bridge saddles, then a tiny spot of oil on the string trees helps a lot. BUT.. I learned a long time ago that I don’t know everything. A PRO setup from a reputable shop is well worth the money. That said.. I usually have to adjust their adjustments. Also. every Strat is different.. some are more stubborn than others. The more they are played.. the more they cooperate.

Comment

I find that lowered expectations helps alot
      Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

Terrific thanks. wow this threads so fkn useful I just cant believe it

Comment

There's a good reason the Floyd Rose was invented. Fender experimented a lot with improvements to their non locking bridges in the 80's and all those designs have been abandoned. Jimi Hendrix can be seen tuning and stretching strings in the midst of performing on some footage because the trem doesn't stay in tune. Other than Jimi it's rare to see anyone actually use a Strat trem unless they no longer need the guitar to be in tune. ie: the end of the song. I (personally) keep mine flat to the body and don't use it.

You probably saw all the standard stuff in your research, but locking tuners, graphite powder in the nut or a roller nut and string stretching are the standard solutions. Dan Torres use to sell string sets where he soldered the twists at the ball end of the strings and that was reported to help a little. I never tried it.

It's simply an under designed piece of hardware for the job. Asking how to keep it in tune is akin to asking how you might tow your trailer with a Volkswagen Beetle.

And don't get snarky At the very least these are honest answers.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            There's a good reason the Floyd Rose was invented. Fender experimented a lot with improvements to their non locking bridges in the 80's and all those designs have been abandoned. Jimi Hendrix can be seen tuning and stretching strings in the midst of performing on some footage because the trem doesn't stay in tune. Other than Jimi it's rare to see anyone actually use a Strat trem unless they no longer need the guitar to be in tune. ie: the end of the song. I (personally) keep mine flat to the body and don't use it.

You probably saw all the standard stuff in your research, but locking tuners, graphite powder in the nut or a roller nut and string stretching are the standard solutions. Dan Torres use to sell string sets where he soldered the twists at the ball end of the strings and that was reported to help a little. I never tried it.

It's simply an under designed piece of hardware for the job. Asking how to keep it in tune is akin to asking how you might tow your trailer with a Volkswagen Beetle.

And don't get snarky At the very least these are honest answers.
            You mean like this?

nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Galeazzo Frudua videos on YT

Comment

Originally posted by alexradium View Post
                Galeazzo Frudua videos on YT
                THAT was it. That's the trick I tried/ found on YT. It worked splendidly I was really chuffed. Put gtr away/ lost interest as I tend to do, came back many months later.. tried same thing again, didn't work. Couldn't work out why not. Hence my thread. I was wondering if there were any other tricks exactly like this.. maybe not then.

Floyd Rose.. yes understood, the Ozrics chaps must swear by them for eg.. but any addition would ruin my strat's look, its a sunburst 'looker' with a jazzmaster neck.

Please don't tell me that was the inventor's name. Please tell me he used his daughter's name & reversed the christian/ surname around bc it sounded cool. Please.

Comment

Other than Jimi it's rare to see anyone actually use a Strat trem unless they no longer need the guitar to be in tune. ie: the end of the song.
                  SRV used his floating vintage trem a lot. To me nothing compares to a vintage type (steel) strat trem in terms of feel and sound. It requires some sensitivity/experience and good maintenance to keep the guitar in tune.
                  Last edited by Helmholtz; 06-02-2019, 05:55 PM.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
                    Please don't tell me that was the inventor's name. Please tell me he used his daughter's name & reversed the christian/ surname around bc it sounded cool. Please.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	FloydFRX-1000x1000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	853926

Hizzown bad self. That's his name, he wears it loud & proud. Good man! He invented a terrific whammy system & I like it so there.

Can't argue with a third of a century of success. to Floyd Rose !

Another photo, from back in the good ol' days:

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Perhaps 'Pink Floyd' fooled you into thinking Floyd was a surname.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                        Well, Floyd is posing with a - sort of - pink guitar in the Kramer ad. To add to the cornfusion.

"By the way, which one is Pink?"

Comment

my way,i use some teflon grease on the nut(which has to be cut and sanded perfectly),on the string tree,on top of the saddles and remove the sharp angle on the 6 holes in the plate.
                          There are differences if the trem is set floating or flat to the top.
                          There can be problems with the 6 screws touching up with the plate.
                          Another good source for set ups is the book by Erlewine "how to make your guitar play great".

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                            So you telling me.. his christian name, was Floyd? no look, watching dexter season 4 I spat my lime juice out laughing when the baby's called .. Harrison. But I can't cope with Floyd..

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
                              So you telling me.. his christian name, was Floyd? no look, watching dexter season 4 I spat my lime juice out laughing when the baby's called .. Harrison. But I can't cope with Floyd..
                              Parents sometimes do funny things.

You have a brand new prince named what, Archie? 6th in line for the throne? If he ever managed to become king, King Archie I. And if not, he's still Prince Archie. Lookin' for company: Jughead, Betty, Veronica, Mister Weatherbee and the rest. Or maybe the other Archie, da one wit' Edith. I rest my case.

Ohhhh, Ahhhchie ! ! !

Last edited by Leo_Gnardo; 06-02-2019, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X