No announcement yet.

Strat trem tune spiel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are some good tips on the Kinman site that worked pretty well with my strat. The key for me was having less than 1 turn of the string on the tuning peg.
    https://kinman.com/perfect-guitar.php#stayingInTune
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Another little thing that can get overlooked: sometimes string trees have a burr on the underside of the edges where the string can hang up. It's worth taking them off and making sure that the channels for the strings are nice and smooth.

Comment

Honestly I don’t care for Floyds.. but I’m old school I don’t care for EMG pickups either. I used my Strats “half blocked” for years then changed to a full float as I got more proficient in setting them up. They are finicky but so is a Floyd. If you don’t think a Strat Trem can stay in tune check out Jeff Beck or SRV. Guess it comes down to what you are used to.

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
          There are some good tips on the Kinman site that worked pretty well with my strat. The key for me was having less than 1 turn of the string on the tuning peg.
          https://kinman.com/perfect-guitar.php#stayingInTune
          I saved that page to read later. Looks like lots of good info. I like graduated locking tuners on a strat. They keep wraps to a min. and eliminate string trees. I also like trem stabilizers. For me they improve the sound and feel.(not trem bar feel, finger bend feel)
          Last edited by dmartn149; 06-03-2019, 03:48 AM.
          Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

Originally posted by dmartn149 View Post
            For me they improve the sound and feel.(not trem bar feel, finger bend feel)
            Wow! That's tender fingers Sort of the equivalent of "golden ears" in this genre. I'm impressed.

And I'm not teasing about it. I've recognized the bend characteristics of guitars ranging from floating, locking trems to fixed bridges. But I don't think I was ever sensitive enough to detect the minor difference in peg head stagger!
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

But I don't think I was ever sensitive enough to detect the minor difference in peg head stagger!
              Not the tuners, the trem stabilizer. It makes the guitar feel and sound more like a fixed bridge, while still allowing you to pull up on the bar.

Comment

Originally posted by dmartn149 View Post
                ...the trem stabilizer... makes the guitar feel and sound more like a fixed bridge, while still allowing you to pull up on the bar.
                I've never tried one out, so thanks for the tip. Any model you'd recommend? Do they create a notchy dead zone in the trem arm movement? I've been put off them by the fear that they will make subtle degrees of vibrato and bends more awkward.
                My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

I also like trem stabilizers.
                  Trem stabilizers have been available since almost 40 years. I occasionally installed them on demand.
                  I don't feel that they improve tuning stability and would not recommend them for a nice and even chord vibrato a la SRV's "Lenny". They somewhat help to reduce detuning of the other strings when bending and when a string breaks.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                    Trem stabilizers have been available since almost 40 years. I occasionally installed them on demand.
                    I don't feel that they improve tuning stability and would not recommend them for a nice and even chord vibrato a la SRV's "Lenny". They somewhat help to reduce detuning of the other strings when bending and when a string breaks.
                    Yep That about sums it up. They do clunk a bit at the transition point. Lenny would be difficult, and you might hear the clunk if your pups were too micro phonic. you will still go a bit out of tune if you break a string, but the bridge doesn't pull forward when bending (I like that) I think most tuning issues are at the other end of the guitar.

Comment

Lenny would be difficult, and you might hear the clunk if your pups were too micro phonic
                      On second thought, I'm not sure about that. I'm out of town now, but when I'm home next week I'll check it out and report back.

Comment

I was really asking what could be done with the trem as it is, a simple std strat trem.. rather than adding contraptions.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try the lubricating & filing away sharp edges here n there.

Whose this Lenny then is it Fat Lenny I wonder? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8nRgAK-Qc4

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
                          I was really asking what could be done with the trem as it is, a simple std strat trem.. rather than adding contraptions.
                          Haven't seen any mention of the spring and claw set up, if you check out live photo's of SRV, Jimi, VH ,JB, take note of the spring arrangement and how tight they have the claw screwed in . As others have mentioned straight string pull is critical ,string gauge comes into play as well . And the real fun is, you spend hours getting it set up,change strings and get to start all over again . Don't get discouraged and have fun with it !! As a back up practice tuning on the fly
                          Last edited by shortcircuit; 06-04-2019, 12:38 PM.
                          If you don't know where your going any road'll take you there : George Harrison

Comment

A TU2 on my pedal board changed my world back in the day..

Comment

Working...
                            X