Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deliverance to 6L6GC

Hi All,

I need your help, what changes would you implement to scale down a VHT Deliverance 60 ftom KT88s to 6l6GCs?
    Thanks in advance!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fryette-amplification-deliverance-60-44991.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	874615

Are you building one from scratch?
    Then substituting original power stage with "basically same but with 6L6" which shoud not be too different from a Fender power stage ... including proper iron and voltages.

Now if you already have one, I guess supply voltage will be too much for 6L6.
    In any case search and post schematic.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

But why ? ? ? VHT's sound so - hmm - glorious I guess is the best word for it. Some guitarists who spent lots of time & $$$$ searching for their ear's holy grail found it when they tried VHT/Fryettes I recommended to them, with KT88 outputs. Also KT88 in Marshalls & similar amps, and a big mention to THD's Flexi 50 which is just "da bomb" with '88's.

What is it you're trying to do? Dial down the power but retain the tone?
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

bias voltage,thats all

Comment

If these schematics are correct, it's only 475V on the plates. Then I would agree with alexradium, rebias and play.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...VU?usp=sharing
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
            Are you building one from scratch?
            Then substituting original power stage with "basically same but with 6L6" which shoud not be too different from a Fender power stage ... including proper iron and voltages.

Now if you already have one, I guess supply voltage will be too much for 6L6.
            In any case search and post schematic.

Thanks for your answer! I plan to build one. I have a full set of trannies for a 6l6GGC designed amp, a bit oversized OT for a 6l6GC but might do best with a KT88.
            It's basically set for an SLO50 but the D60 is more desired.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
              But why ? ? ? VHT's sound so - hmm - glorious I guess is the best word for it. Some guitarists who spent lots of time & $$$$ searching for their ear's holy grail found it when they tried VHT/Fryettes I recommended to them, with KT88 outputs. Also KT88 in Marshalls & similar amps, and a big mention to THD's Flexi 50 which is just "da bomb" with '88's.

What is it you're trying to do? Dial down the power but retain the tone?
              Hi, thanks for your comment! It would be a new project with a set of parts more friendly with a 6l6GC design. I'd basically change a quite faulty diy SLO50 to a Deliverance. Maybe the power amp should not be changed at all I guess and the preamp stage should be changed only.

Comment

Originally posted by nofarewell View Post
                Hi, thanks for your comment! It would be a new project with a set of parts more friendly with a 6l6GC design. I'd basically change a quite faulty diy SLO50 to a Deliverance. Maybe the power amp should not be changed at all I guess and the preamp stage should be changed only.
                Whew, I am much relieved. No VHT/Fryette will be harmed in the process. So, no worries, build a good 6L6 power amp with your transformers, and drive it with your choice of preamp.

One big concern if you do decide to go KT88, your power transformer has to be able to handle the extra filament current. I've had some overeager mod wannabees ask me to slug 6550/KT88 into old Fenders. Hmm, might be a bit too taxing on the PT. Did a brief try & it didn't buy any extra power or terrific tone so now I know enough to head off any more proposals of that sort with a firm but gentle "no."

Comment

Good point on the filament current, Leo. I think, to see much of any increase in output power, you'd have to also raise the plate voltage anyway. So probably a beefier PT and maybe also beefier OT to be safe.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                    Good point on the filament current, Leo. I think, to see much of any increase in output power, you'd have to also raise the plate voltage anyway. So probably a beefier PT and maybe also beefier OT to be safe.
                    How about a beefier wallet to boot.

nosaj
                    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      That would make it too much of a project. Although... back in the early 70's an old friend of mine swapped his Twin Reverb (he's a bass player) to Danny Kalb (guitarist) for Dan's modified cream early 60's Bassman and matching 1x15 cab. Late 70's rolled around and I had a look inside - PT and OT from a Dynaco MkIII and a pair of GE 6550's. A good deal of oomph from that rig! Later on I found out about Sunn & how they used the MkIII circuit. All part of the learning curve. Me, I wouldn't recommend or take on that kind of mod. But back then somebody did, wonder who it was??? Only clue, it was in the NYC general area. Ken Fisher? Rich Koenig? Dennis Kager? Your guess is as good as mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                        Whew, I am much relieved. No VHT/Fryette will be harmed in the process. So, no worries, build a good 6L6 power amp with your transformers, and drive it with your choice of preamp.

One big concern if you do decide to go KT88, your power transformer has to be able to handle the extra filament current. I've had some overeager mod wannabees ask me to slug 6550/KT88 into old Fenders. Hmm, might be a bit too taxing on the PT. Did a brief try & it didn't buy any extra power or terrific tone so now I know enough to head off any more proposals of that sort with a firm but gentle "no."
                        Yes, of course. Barbarising a Deliverance has never been my goal, and I'd never mod one either if I finally had one (why ruin one of the perfect amps? )
                        My concern is to make this SLO project more Deliverance-ish. So that's what I'll try to do I think the OT would take a set of KT88s in theory, as it is quite oversized; the problem would be everything else mentioned in the thread.

Comment

Working...
                        X