Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Twin Reverb reissue Power trans question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revisiting this amp:
    The customer has had it now for a little while. I had put a new Fender 65 Twin Reissue power Transformer in it and all was well. Customer has returned it with redplating on his tubes. Also redplates on another set. Tested secondary voltages and they seem within spec. Checked,470 ohm and 1.5k ohm resistors on sockets,good. Bias pot does nothing. Stays the same. Checked all components of the bias circuit,pot resistors,caps,all test well. Any thoughts on this?

Comment

Originally posted by lo-watt View Post
      Revisiting this amp:
      The customer has had it now for a little while. I had put a new Fender 65 Twin Reissue power Transformer in it and all was well. Customer has returned it with redplating on his tubes. Also redplates on another set. Tested secondary voltages and they seem within spec. Checked,470 ohm and 1.5k ohm resistors on sockets,good. Bias pot does nothing. Stays the same. Checked all components of the bias circuit,pot resistors,caps,all test well. Any thoughts on this?
      regardless of whether the bias supply caps ‘test well’, Replace then and see what the working result is.

(In fact, if it is an RI amp with ILLinois caps, might as well replace them all)

also, does the bias pot measure for DC resistance fully through its rotation?
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
        regardless of whether the bias supply caps ‘test well’, Replace then and see what the working result is.

(In fact, if it is an RI amp with ILLinois caps, might as well replace them all)

and add, remove the tubes while you isolate the problem. Take some DC voltage measurements around the bias cct - that should point you in the right direction.
        Last edited by nickb; 07-27-2019, 07:20 PM.
        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post

All of the filters were changed with F&T caps previously as well as all of the components in the bias section save the pot. I tested the pot from 0-100 and 100-0 for resistance but not DC voltage as the amp wasnt on.

Comment

Originally posted by lo-watt View Post
            All of the filters were changed with F&T caps previously as well as all of the components in the bias section save the pot. I tested the pot from 0-100 and 100-0 for resistance but not DC voltage as the amp wasnt on.
            then pull the tubes and measure the VDC on the grid pins

(edit: a common issue I’ve found with a lot of RIs that I’ve fixed, apart from the Illinois caps, is dodgy PCB traces)
            Last edited by tubeswell; 07-26-2019, 09:47 PM.
            Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Agree, besides *parts* testing fine, measure voltages, specially what reaches power tube grids, as suggested above.

Alo not sure what you mean by
              bias won’t adjust...
              and
              Bias pot does nothing. Stays the same.
              I googled "same" to "volts" conversion scale and couldn´t find it

I tested the pot from 0-100 and 100-0 for resistance but not DC voltage as the amp wasnt on.
              So?
              Turning it ON and measuring bias voltage would have taken 1 extra minute.

Please do.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Like the others said, we need to know the voltage at pin5 with power tubes out. It must be grossly wrong if the tubes red-plate.
                And the bias pot is supposed to be 10K, so if it is reading 100 that is probably a significant clue.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thank you for the responses,I’ll take some voltage measurements when I get back to work to tomm. I’ll have a lot to report.

Comment

I forgot to follow up;I discovered a blown fuse in the bias secondary circuit(this one is one of the old ones with all the fuses on the secondaries from the early 90’s). Replaced it and all was well. Thanks for all the input and advice. Always a learning experience here.

Comment

Working...
                    X