Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Twin Reverb reissue Power trans question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickb View Post
    Indeed it was a typo - Thanks.
    Just checking. So just replace the existing diodes with the 1n4007 then along with the other mods,Man this sucks,wish i could get a hold of the right transformer,but Fender has em on backorder.

Comment

Originally posted by lo-watt View Post
      Just checking. So just replace the existing diodes with the 1n4007 then along with the other mods,Man this sucks,wish i could get a hold of the right transformer,but Fender has em on backorder.
      I must have bought the last one that was in stock at Antique Electronic Supply a couple months ago. I almost modded the Twin I had from our rental inventory of 65 Reissue Twins, after failing to look thoroughly at what I had ordered, seeing the non-reissues PT that came in. I had posted that, and was advised by many to NOT modify that one amp to make use of it, just so it didn't become an oddball among the fleet of some 15 65 Reissue Twin Reverb amps.
      Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Not exactly since two of the old diodes are not used. I would leave the old diodes alone. Get two of the 1N4007's and connect in series. Solder that onto the end of one of the HT secondaries, anode to transformer then repeat for the other HT wire. Insulate the diodes with heatshrink. Join the cathode ends together at the standby switch. The other side of the switch goes to the HT supply i.e +ve end of C36. Apologies for not making it clear earlier.
        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

I really dont want to have anything floating in space above the board. This guys tours with this amp and it gets REALLY used. I prefer to do it mounted to the board for safeties sake.

Comment

I might do the cut-n-paste with my own amp, but if repairing for a customer then I'd just get the right replacement part.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...reverb-reissue

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Bones View Post
              I might do the cut-n-paste with my own amp, but if repairing for a customer then I'd just get the right replacement part.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...reverb-reissue
              Currently on backorder,my friend. Already called CE AND Fender NO ETA available. Other sources are out as well,and so is Ebay and Reverb.

Comment

A curiosity: the original power transformer (at least here in Europe) has an internal fuse. The good thing is that it has the two points accessible from the outside.
                Once I found one completely dead and the problem came from the internal fuse. Simply taking the other side (bypassing it) the transformer worked perfectly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TR.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	854000

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Vecino View Post
                  A curiosity: the original power transformer (at least here in Europe) has an internal fuse. The good thing is that it has the two points accessible from the outside.
                  Once I found one completely dead and the problem came from the internal fuse. Simply taking the other side (bypassing it) the transformer worked perfectly.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53939[/ATTACH]
                  So, that internal thermal device IS a one-time Open On Rise Thermal Fuse. I've found them inside the cardboard tubes buried in the windings of Fender Deluxe Reverb power xfmrs and the like. With those, they did NOT show that part even exists (ion the schematic)....all you find is an open primary when they open. Shame whoever Fender had manufacture the transformers didn't use resetable OOR Thermal Switches.
                  Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Don’t Hammond make a replacement PT for the RI?
                    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Currently on backorder,my friend. Already called CE AND Fender NO ETA available. Other sources are out as well,and so is Ebay and Reverb.
                      Then I guess you do what ya gotta do.

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                        Don’t Hammond make a replacement PT for the RI?
                        Ding ding ding! https://nextgenguitars.ca/products/h...ansformer.html
                        (Hammond 290EBZ)
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Well it just so happens I got in a 65 Reissue in for repairs yesterday. I talked to the owner whos a friend and hes going to let me "borrow" his transformer,as his amp has a burned circuit board. Ill replace his as soon as one becomes available through my distributor,and ill get this other amp up and running with the used one. Anyone wanna buy an Almost New Heyboer Twin Reverb Power transformer?

Comment

Ok,so I had a chance to put in the power transformer. Amp works but about half power and breaks up quickly. Only 63vdc in the plates and bias won’t adjust...

Things checked:
                            PT works
                            Tubes work
                            Diodes work
                            All new filter caps
                            Bias circuit components tested,new caps
                            Correct wiring

Comment

Ok,so I had a chance to put in the power transformer. Amp works but about half power and breaks up quickly. Only 63vdc in the plates and bias won’t adjust...

Things checked:
                              PT works
                              Tubes work
                              Diodes work
                              All new filter caps
                              Bias circuit components tested,new caps
                              Correct wiring
                              1) Confirm:
                              Brown to CP9
                              Brown to CP10
                              Red to CP11
                              Red to CP12

2) Measure & report ACV
                              CP11 to CP12
                              CP9 to CP10
                              Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
                                1) Confirm:
                                Brown to CP9
                                Brown to CP10
                                Red to CP11
                                Red to CP12

2) Measure & report ACV
                                CP11 to CP12
                                CP9 to CP10
                                Keep in mind that the actual amp i have has fuses in line with the PT connections. While this doesnt change anything per se,the connections are slightly different,you can see on the older 65 Twin schematic. Ill look this afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                                X