Marshall origin series 20w....why 20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall origin series 20w....why 20?

What i'm asking in the title is, does anyone know why the origin 20 watt amp has 20 watts with 2 El34's vs the origin 50 watter with the same pair of EL34s? Small iron or low plate V ? Just curious....

Originally posted by daz View Post
    Small iron or low plate V ? Just curious....
    Likely both. I've never had one open and it's too soon for schematics to be found on line.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Low volts, cathode bias... And because everyone is a sissy nowadays and a 22W Deluxe Reverb os "too loud & you're drowning every one out & & & wha wha wha!" So 20W is 2 less, innit?

I'll see myself out now.

Jusrin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

The amp output power depends on the working class amp (A, AB, B), anode voltage and load resistance (Raa)

https://www.slideshare.net/ValveData/valve-amplifier-design-el34-6ca7-data-mullard-valves

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/el34-120607235944-phpapp02/95/valve-amplifier-design-el34-6ca7-data-mullard-valves-2-728.jpg?cb=1339113885

Here it is best to see how at the same anode voltage, the output power changes depending on the class of work in which the amplifier works and the load ressistance (Raa)
        If anode voltage and load ressistance (Raa) is known, it is easy to determine the output power.
        Load ressistance (Raa) is calculated by measuring ratio output transformer.

http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/origin-20-head-gut-shots.101569/
        Origin 20 Head Gut Shots!!!!
        Last edited by vintagekiki; 06-09-2019, 11:38 PM.
        It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
          Low volts, cathode bias... And because everyone is a sissy nowadays and a 22W Deluxe Reverb os "too loud & you're drowning every one out & & & wha wha wha!" So 20W is 2 less, innit?

I'll see myself out now.

Jusrin
          I got yer back Jusrin My personal amp is the prototype I built for DMS. It's a pair of el84's and it's designed to run balls out WITHOUT POWER SCALING. I admit that I have an attenuator (because I'm married ) but I think that for the feel and vibe of using a cranked guitar amp that the 20 or so cranked watts (only 15 clean) this thing makes is the minimum even in small spaces for getting the acoustic feedback inherent to "that" sound and feel. I literally sit in a chair about ten feet away from the amp with it facing me whenever I get to let it rip. I have Celestion V30 in this amp (combo) and a sealed 2x12 with a pair of G12H30 Anni's (that I prefer) so these are fairly efficient speakers. I still think you'd need to mic it for a small bump for live use. 20W is MINIMUM home practice wattage IMHO.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Ensuring domestic tranquility is one thing. Gigging is another. Your sin of attenuation is absolved.

Jusrin
            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
            X