No announcement yet.

M-Audio powered speaker turn on problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like it would be a real PITA, but could you possibly trace where the 12Vdc for the relay is coming from.
    It sounds to me like a timing capacitor issue.

A lot of these 'pack em smaller' type units have some real boo boos when it comes to component layout.

Like placing electrolytic timing capacitors next to heat sources.

Comment

I followed the relay traces to a 100uf 16v electrolytic that checked good.
      I tried turning on the unit without the electrolytic in place and SOG it turned on, no variac but light bulb limiter in line
      I remove the light bulb limiter and it won't turn on.
      Is that maybe because the bulb is slowing the current in-rush?

Comment

I would ditch the limiter.

What circuit does the 100uf/ 16V cap attach to?
        In other words, what turns on the relay?
        Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 07-04-2019, 03:17 PM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

Very difficult to say what turns on the relay. Its a double sided board, small traces disappearing under various components. I'm wondering what risk there might be by just jumpering the relay since that seems to be where the issue is? I don't know for sure it would work but I think it might. The relay I'm referring to is just before the rectifier.

Comment

It will work but you will lose the protection if there is a malfunction.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I would bypass the relay with an NTC thermistor and check whether it now turns on.

Use an inrush current limiting thermistor pulled from an old unused PS smps.
              This is just for testing, you may laterreplaced the "borrowed" NTC where it belongs.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The thermistor worked perfectly! Thanks
                What does NTC stand for?

Comment

Negative temperature coefficient.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                  X