Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 400 B/G Amp Module Non Polarized Caps

MEF Members -

I am working on a Peavey 400 B/G Amp Module. One of the main filter caps was bad and after replacing (and the other paired cap), the amp is working. My friend has asked me to replace all of the electrolytic caps for good measure. This is an easy lift so I will do it.

I do have a question on the 2uf Non-Polarized caps, C16 and C24. C16 is near the Input connector. C24 is to the right of U2. The schematic shows these caps with a symbol as if they are Electrolytic and it does show as "NP." Is there any reason why these would be Non-Polarized as opposed to regular 'ole Electrolytic caps?

Thanks, Tom
    Attached Files
    It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Yes, because the polarity of any voltage across them can be either positive or negative.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ok.... thanks Enzo.

I just found some info on this and will study up on the topic.

Tom
      It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Tom, it is straightforward. Consider C24. One end is grounded. the other gets signal voltage from the output of the amp. It feeds through a couple resistors. So the output of the amp swings both positive and negative, which appears then across that cap.

Likewise C15, the inboard end of it is essentially at ground, the left end is input from the preamp. That input can go positive and negative.

So your caps need to be ready for that.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X