1961 Fender Bassman 6G6 Bass Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here’s a link to the schematic: https://images.app.goo.gl/mMEAbXUnVScHQXwu8

There are ceramic disc caps in there, one of them was badly noisy and was replaced, besides freeze spray, none of the other suggestions bore any results. So from everything I know, I can confidently say it’s not a grounding issue. There is however about 6vDC leaking onto the treble pot and I can’t really track down where it’s coming from and the first preamp stage is very microphonic when tapping on the tube, maybe something to do with the first two stages being cascaded? The voltage looked higher than it says on the schematic. Says plate voltage should be 140 but it’s more in the range of 192

Comment

Originally posted by Steelwitch View Post
      Here’s a link to the schematic: https://images.app.goo.gl/mMEAbXUnVScHQXwu8

There are ceramic disc caps in there, one of them was badly noisy and was replaced, besides freeze spray, none of the other suggestions bore any results. So from everything I know, I can confidently say it’s not a grounding issue. There is however about 6vDC leaking onto the treble pot and I can’t really track down where it’s coming from and the first preamp stage is very microphonic when tapping on the tube, maybe something to do with the first two stages being cascaded? The voltage looked higher than it says on the schematic. Says plate voltage should be 140 but it’s more in the range of 192
      I see 2 .1uf caps I'd investigate leading to the treble pot.

nosaj
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

So, there is DC leaking through the .1 cap leading directly to the treble pot. 211v coming from the plate and about 4vdc across it. I changed it out but there’s still dc coming through. It has to be coming from something else, but what else could make it upstream to the bass preamp stage?

Comment

So, there is DC leaking through the .1 cap leading directly to the treble pot. 211v coming from the plate and about 4vdc across it. I changed it out but there’s still dc coming through. It has to be coming from something else, but what else could make it upstream to the bass preamp stage?

Is there any DC on your chassis?

nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
            Is there any DC on your chassis?

nosaj
            Did you mean "board", like with a conductive board?
            Last edited by Helmholtz; 06-26-2019, 10:11 PM.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
              Did you mean "board", like with a conductive board?
              Not exactly I was thinking a cap going to ground but those are jus for signal so never mind on that. But conductive board is a great possibility.

nosaj

Comment

No DC on the chassis, but the board has about 20mv on it, I didn’t even consider a conductive board

Comment

I've had similar issues when ground wires crack loose from the brass grounding plate. If it has one, give the ground wires that connect to the plate a little tug and make sure connections are solid.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

There were some spots on the board where it rose to over 100mv. Any tests I can do before confirming that this is the source?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      I've had similar issues when ground wires crack loose from the brass grounding plate. If it has one, give the ground wires that connect to the plate a little tug and make sure connections are solid.
                      All ground connections are definitely good! I have checked the grounding pretty thoroughly

Comment

There were some spots on the board where it rose to over 100mv. Any tests I can do before confirming that this is the source?
                        You could try monitoring the DC on the pot while heating up the area with heatgun/hair-dryer. If it changes, it's likely stray resistance of the board. The heat may even fix it as well.
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                          You could try monitoring the DC on the pot while heating up the area with heatgun/hair-dryer. If it changes, it's likely stray resistance of the board. The heat may even fix it as well.
                          It does have an effect! Voltage started decreasing and then into negative, which I don’t fully understand. Could you explain this process in more detail? How much time with a heat gun should fix it and how long it safe to expose the board to heat like that

Comment

Something else I just noticed is that the volume pot affects the amount of DC on the treble pot. I lifted the eyelet board from the insulating board to verify that it isn’t the insolation board— no real effect, and there’s no audible difference with a heat gun. I think it could still be a conductive board though, since there’s dc on the board itself

Comment

Something else I just noticed is that the volume pot affects the amount of DC on the treble pot. I lifted the eyelet board from the insulating board to verify that it isn’t the insolation board— no real effect, and there’s no audible difference with a heat gun. I think it could still be a conductive board though, since there’s dc on the board itself
                              Did you really replace all of the Astron caps with good quality new ones?
                              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                                Did you really replace all of the Astron caps with good quality new ones?
                                Yeah I replaced the yellow .25 astrons with .22 Jupiters.. I could have sworn it was bad astrons, but it didn’t make a difference. I mean, once this issue is resolved I’m eager to see if the Jupiter’s are considerably better. Kinda sounds bad right now though

Comment

Working...
                                X