No announcement yet.

Ruffled feathers working thru a music store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had similar issues. No contact with the customer puts you in a bad spot.
    Had a Bugera head in for repair, diagnosed the problem and talked to the owners son. Said it would be $80 to fix it. The son said that was fine. Fixed the problem and when I brought it back to the music store the owner said it should of be only half the cost. Picking the head up and returning it was a total of 100 miles. Was my last repair job. Don’t miss it at all

Comment

Sometimes for the real difficult customers, I'll offer it for no charge if they'll promise to never bring me anything again. They either do a double-take and reconsider, or I'm free of them.
      Kind of like lending 'that guy' $50, who you know isn't good for it, but at least it will make him avoid you in the future.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
        Sometimes for the real difficult customers, I'll offer it for no charge if they'll promise to never bring me anything again. They either do a double-take and reconsider, or I'm free of them.
        Kind of like lending 'that guy' $50, who you know isn't good for it, but at least it will make him avoid you in the future.
        Never occured to me to pay someone to stay away

nosaj
        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

It's a variation of the old 'remittance man' theme.
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remittance_man
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Well, it all ended well. I received the pot, and put it in for an extra 1/2 labor + $15 for the part with shipping. Turned it around same day I got it and delivered an hour later. So now everyone is happy. Took me longer to get the damn chassis back in the box than it did for the repair. Thing weighs nearly 100 lbs! GODZILLA!
            It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Super glad the issue resolved itself when the pot surfaced. But to address the original issue, had it been the case... It sounds like you already have a relationship with them. So they know that you've already tossed some freebies their way in the form of eating on a difficult repair, redoing a few kludged things the last repair guy did or the usual "This knob was missing and I had one in a shoe box." type stuff. I Know you do that stuff because that's what we all do. So I'm pretty sure you could have safely drawn that line and stood your ground without too much butt hurt in the end. Just my $.02 for the next time it comes up.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

It helps I'm the only game in town, really. They call me their "fucking great amp guy", seriously. I have a lot of room to move here. Plus, they make money off me.

Comment

I've been doing work for another store the past few months with a similiar situation.

I don't get good info of what the owner wants fixed and who knows how much they are tacking into the bill but they must be marking it up quite a bit as I get many that don't want the item repaired.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
                    It helps I'm the only game in town, really. They call me their "fucking great amp guy", seriously. I have a lot of room to move here. Plus, they make money off me.
                    So we are in agree-ance with my original statement? But what pot has a 10 week backorder? I'm sure we could've found one comparable that would get the job done.

We are here to help everyone Randall.
                    nosaj

Comment

That 10 weeks was from Peavey. Someone (you?) did point out Amp Repair Parts had them, and I got one in a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
                        That 10 weeks was from Peavey. Someone (you?) did point out Amp Repair Parts had them, and I got one in a few days.
                        Yea just saying we can all work together to find what we need in a reasonable time. That company listed it right up there with Audiolabs of GA.
                        Maybe we could have a vendor list.

nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                          That is incredibly smart. I'm gonna keep that idea in my back pocket.
                          In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                            Yea just saying we can all work together to find what we need in a reasonable time. That company listed it right up there with Audiolabs of GA.
                            Maybe we could have a vendor list.

nosaj
                            I like the thought of that!!
                            Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                              I like the thought of that!!
                              Well here you go....https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ad.php?t=49178
                              Add any you might have....

nosaj

Comment

Working...
                              X