Ruffled feathers working thru a music store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruffled feathers working thru a music store

I do repairs for a local music store. They call me, I go get the amp, repair and deliver. I don't get to talk to the customer, so everything goes thru the store manager, which of course takes longer. Couple of weeks ago I picked up a Peavey Classic 400, the thing is a beast at almost 100 lbs. Complaint is "doesn't work". I bring it to my shop, diagnose, replace output tubes and bias to factory spec, clean all controls and jacks, and announce it is done. I tell him that it came in with one of the gain pot shafts broken off, although it still works, does the customer want it replaced while it's here, it's back ordered 10 weeks? Half a week later I am told, yes the guy wants it replaced, but he wants to take it home now and play the amp, and will bring it back for me to install when the part comes in. Umm, OK, but understand that this will be billed as another seperate job for $50- 75.

What? What do you mean? You told us you would replace it! He's not going to like this, and it makes us look bad, we kinda said OK to his request. Well I tell them, even if it sat on my shop floor for two and a half months while we wait, I would still charge you for extra labor over and above the "doesn't work" repair. So no way am I going to put it back together, lump it back to the store, come get it again later, take it apart again, repair it, put it back together again and deliver it again, without compensation, would you? And BTW, I will need prepayment for this part, which I will include on this invoice, just in case the customer does not return down the road.

So now we wait for the customer has to say about it. Sheesh.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

When I had work coming in through dealers I always made sure they got me phone contact numbers of the owner. I wanted to be able to directly discuss the nature of the problem.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hm... yes, disunderstandings with store manglers & salesmen always wind up NOT in favor of the repair person. Sounds like somebody at the store gave the crustomer the "blue skies" version of what the repair process would be.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
        Hm... yes, disunderstandings with store manglers & salesmen always wind up NOT in favor of the repair person. Sounds like somebody at the store gave the crustomer the "blue skies" version of what the repair process would be.
        I think it all depends on the relationship you have with the store and the expectations set . But number one it's all about Communication.

But what pot has a 10 week backorder? I'm sure we could've found one comparable that would get the job done.

nosaj
        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Yes, deal directly with the end users. Much more better.
          --
          I build and repair guitar amps
          http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

"But what pot has a 10 week backorder? I'm sure we could've found one comparable that would get the job done."

A spider legged Peavey with a leetle tiny shaft. I'll search for alternative parts when I am forced to, but if they are available and backordered, I'll wait. I really don't like spending more time finding something that will work than the repair time itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
              "But what pot has a 10 week backorder? I'm sure we could've found one comparable that would get the job done."

A spider legged Peavey with a leetle tiny shaft. I'll search for alternative parts when I am forced to, but if they are available and backordered, I'll wait. I really don't like spending more time finding something that will work than the repair time itself.
              Did you ask Enzo?
              Do you by chance see any here there is a spider pot section, this website is also one where I get a lot of my marshall pots. It's a useful site
              https://amprepairparts.com/pots.htm#peaveyspider
              nosaj
              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
                Yes, deal directly with the end users. Much more better.
                That's great if possible. However, I deal with several stores. Many of them use repairs to get some extra traffic. They want the guys with broken gear to come into the music store. I get that, and I'm ok with it. Most of the stores I deal with are smart enough to not promise such things. Hopefully this is a learning experience for them. They need to fall on their own sword and own up to the mistake.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

"Do you by chance see any here there is a spider pot section, this website is also one where I get a lot of my marshall pots. It's a useful site
                  https://amprepairparts.com/pots.htm#peaveyspider"

Well I'll be dipped, there it is, 31190311. Thanks! Now I need to find the knob.

Comment

Well, you may want to contact them first to see if they have it in stock. It could be just another rabbit hole. If they have to order it from Peavey, you're back where you started.
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I use them sometimes, they usually will say on the site if anything is backordered. This looks OK. Not sure why my initial search didn't uncover them.

Comment

I always used the phone with Peavey, they were very receptive and could answer stock questions while I was there.

As soon as I read "10 week backorder" the first thing in my mind was a PV spider pot.

Randall, those are repairable too. I stocked a good selection of spider pots, but now and then I'd have a shaft broke off say a 100k pot, and all I had in stock were 500k. Since the resistive part of the bad pot still worked, I just took apart the 500k, and stole its shaft assembly and installed it in the old pot. Now my old pot with new shaft was put back into the amp. I'd save the unused 500k wafer for possible use in a future repair where I had a good shaft but broken wafer. SO many times I saved teh repair from the drawers even without the exact pot.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hey enzo,

I have been looking around forever for 2 older peavey pots. They are 71190067 250k Linear spider pot lg001 and 71190048 50k linear spider pot log.

I find someone who said they had them but when they arrived the were much smaller and did not work. Do you have these or know exact replacements?

-steve

Comment

Steve, those are very old numbers. What are the parts FOR? And are you maybe confusing slider and spider pots? I still have some 711900094 and xxx00097, which are in fact sliders. They used those for like graphic EQ. Linear does not refer to the physical shape. so
                            linear spider pot log.
                            is self contradictory. Can't have a linear pot that is also a log pot.

I suggest you start a new thread for your parts, and maybe a photo of the bad ones.

Peavey changed part number sequence a while back. Old numbers that started with 711 now start with 311. They are interchangeable 711/311.

Comment

"
                              Peavey changed part number sequence a while back. Old numbers that started with 711 now start with 311. They are interchangeable 711/311."

I just found that out during this journey. Changing the 7 to a 3 just means they are now RoHS compliant. Same part.

Comment

Working...
                              X