Magnatone Panormic Stereo Combo--Vibrato/Tremolo not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnatone Panormic Stereo Combo--Vibrato/Tremolo not working

One of our Mangatone Panoramic Stereo Combo amps came over with no reverb, with a broken internal xfmr pin wire that I wasn't able to restore, so had to order another 4AB2C1B tank....put a 4AB3C1B tank in for the time being just to check it out. Only difference there is the decay...the 2C is a medium decay, 3C is the long decay.

The service note taped on the amp only mentioned the Reverb being out. No mention of the Vibrato function.

The amp didn't come with the foot switch, nor the Remote Pedal. It's been long enough for me to forget whether the Remote Pedal or Foot Switch have to be plugged in for the Vibrato / Tremolo to work. As it is, that's NOT working. I've plugged in shorting plugs, open TRS plugs into the front panel Remote Pedal jack with no difference. There is a long TRS cable that's plugged into what I presume is the Foot Switch jack, and shorting Ring to Sleeve will control the Reverb, but doesn't do anything for the Vibrato either.

The Owner' manual (data sheet, really) doesn't give any clue. I don't have any 12DW7 tubes...an ECC832 tube is installed, it being pin-for-pin compatible (has a 12AX7 and a 12AU7 section inside). Tried both a 12AU7 and a 12AX7 in there with no difference. I thought one didn't need the Remote Pedal or Foot Switch plugged in for the Vibrato function to work. I don't have service document on this amp.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Do you know the model number of the amp?

Comment

Originally posted by Bloomfield View Post
      Do you know the model number of the amp?
      I believe it is MPS (Magnatone Panoramic Stereo)

Comment

There are a bunch of Magnatone schematics in one of the Weber books, but I didn't see that name. Some of the prints are pretty bad but all the ones I looked at used separate mono jacks for the footswitches, so a different situation. They did all appear that the effects would work without the footswitch though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloomfield View Post
          There are a bunch of Magnatone schematics in one of the Weber books, but I didn't see that name. Some of the prints are pretty bad but all the ones I looked at used separate mono jacks for the footswitches, so a different situation. They did all appear that the effects would work without the footswitch though.
          I've looked thru those on Google, as well as MagnatoneAmps website. This is a current production model, so I'm sure it wouldn't be posted anywhere. I haven't yet gone to Magnatone on this. I was about to walk down to our other building to check on our other amps to verify my suspicions that a pedal isn't needed for the Vibrato/Tremolo to work. Having done all of the obvious (disconnect the attached Foot Switch cable from inside, plug in open TRS plugs, Shorting TRS plugs into the front panel Remote Pedal jack, with no results. So, I'll know more after I give a listen/look at our other current Magnatone amps. Thanks....will update accordingly

Comment

I went over to our other building down the street & around the corner to give a look/listen to another of the Magnatone amps in our inventory. As I suspected, you don't need either the foot switch nor the Remote Pedal for the Vibrato/Tremolo function to work. Works just fine without any pedals. As Magnatone owns all of these in our rental inventory, I'll let our dept manager contact them and have it sent back for service. I wouldn't mind doing it with appropriate documentation and replacement parts, but, won't loose any sleep over it either. Maybe they can swap out the MOD P 4AB2C1B medium decay tank I just installed, as the Accutronics 4AB2C1B tank broke all four connection wires, and in removing their soldered/heat-shrunk terminals that were installed, the 40AWG magnet wire of one of the tank xfmrs broke, and I lost that battle. The MOD P tank I just received causes the amp to feed back if you turn the Reverb up too high. I've had that problem with MOD P tanks.

Comment

Working...
            X