Amp Wattage Measurement - Approximations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g1 View Post
    As far as I know, if you allow the average at the grid to be equal to the DC bias, you will have heavy grid conduction at the peaks. Peak must not exceed the grid voltage, so the average allowed at the grid must be about 70% of the bias voltage (to avoid grid conduction).
    At least if you are talking about clean power output.
    The simulation below says you are correct
    Blue is bias voltage, Red is grid signal, Green is output (8 ohms)
    At clipping the peak grid drive is equal to the bias voltage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Marshall 6V6.png
Views:	1
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	854112

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
      It's not really an average value of Voltage or current, it's the equivalent DC value of Voltage or current that would give the same average power into a resistive load. Subtle difference.

To compute RMS value for any waveform, first square the value at each point along the wave. Then find the average (mean) value. Lastly take the square root. The average value of a sine wave is .636 x peak value. Close, but not .707 .
      LT! Always good to see you ‘round here, man. But, I don’t think that’s right. The average value of a sine wave is zero. RMS works out to the equivalent of 1/sqrt2
      But you’re right about it representing an equivalent DC Voltage or Current.
      If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Here is a link to a nice chart for the I/ avg of different waveforms.

http://www.nessengr.com/technical-da...verage-values/

Comment

0.637 is AVG of fullwave rectified signal.

Because both ELECTRONICS engineers and ELECTRICAL engineers use the same physics principles and terminologies, people like National Semiconductor's Bob Pease (one of my favorite authors) become rather pedantic (yes, I am) about the misuse of 'terms' and Watts(rms) is one of those mis-used/mis-applied terms:

http://www.cromptonusa.com/Watt_Var_VA.pdf
          Last edited by Old Tele man; 06-23-2019, 04:52 PM.
          ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

Regarding the power formula(s):

It is known from tube literature (e.g. RDH, Langford-Smith) that the output power of a PP amp can be calculated by Pout= (1/2)*Rp*Ip^2, where Ip is the peak plate current for Vgrid=0 and Rp=Rpp/4 for class AB/B. Ip is best taken from the intersection of the loadline with the Vgrid=0 curve. The formula could be rewritten as Pout=Rp*Ip(rms)^2, where Ip(rms) is just the mathematical RMS equivalent of Ip and not the real RMS plate current per tube.

The formula from the paper of post #31: Po ≈ (%)*(Zoo/4)*(gm*Vg)^2 looks similar to the second formula above if gm*Vg corresponds to Ip(rms). This would require Vg to mean the RMS grid voltage (as stated in the paper).
            But in post #18 Old Tele man defines Vg as grid bias voltage (without giving a rationale) which corresponds to max. peak grid voltage before grid conduction and makes gm*Vg mean peak plate current Ip. Comparison with Pout= (1/2)*Rp*Ip^2 reveals a discrepancy of a factor 2. In other words the formula Po ≈ (%)*(Zoo/4)*(gm*Vg)^2 should give around twice real power.

But applying the formula to the 6L6 RCA example surprizingly seems to work O.K. I think the explanation is that gm is not a constant by far, in fact it varies strongly with screen voltage and plate current. The actual average gm for a screen voltage of 400V (as in the RCA example) is more like 9mA/V (estimated from the according tube chart) and this might compensate for the use of gm= 6mA/V and peak plate current instead of its RMS equivalent in the formula - in some cases, depending on the choice of gm.

BTW, the result of
            Po ≈ (0.89)*(5.6k/4)*(0.0060*37Vg)^2 is 61.4W not 55W.

I do agree that Vrms*Irms*PF (with a single frequency signal) gives time averaged (real) power and not RMS power: RMS power or Wrms makes no technical sense and I tend to avoid the term.
            (PF means power factor)
            Last edited by Helmholtz; 06-23-2019, 07:55 PM.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
              Regarding the power formula(s):

It is known from tube literature (e.g. RDH, Langford-Smith) that the output power of a PP amp can be calculated by Pout= (1/2)*Rp*Ip^2, where Ip is the peak plate current for Vgrid=0 and Rp=Rpp/4 for class AB/B. Ip is best taken from the intersection of the loadline with the Vgrid=0 curve. The formula could be rewritten as Pout=Rp*Ip(rms)^2, where Ip(rms) is just the mathematical RMS equivalent of Ip and not the real RMS plate current per tube.

The formula from the paper of post #31: Po ≈ (%)*(Zoo/4)*(gm*Vg)^2 looks similar to the second formula above if gm*Vg corresponds to Ip(rms). This would require Vg to mean the RMS grid voltage (as stated in the paper).
              But in post #18 Old Tele man defines Vg as grid bias voltage which corresponds to max. peak grid voltage before grid conduction which makes gm*Vg mean peak plate current Ip. Comparison with Pout= (1/2)*Rp*Ip^2 reveals a discrepancy of a factor 2. In other words the formula Po ≈ (%)*(Zoo/4)*(gm*Vg)^2 should give around twice real power.

But applying the formula to the 6L6 RCA example surprizingly seems to work O.K. I think the explanation is that gm is not a constant by far, in fact it varies strongly with screen voltage and plate current. The actual average gm for a screen voltage of 400V (as in the RCA example) is more like 9mA/V (estimated from the according tube chart) and this might compensate for the use of peak plate current instead of its RMS equivalent in the formula - in some cases, depending on the choice of gm.

BTW, the result of
              Po ≈ (0.89)*(5.6k/4)*(0.0060*37Vg)^2 is 61.4W not 55W.

I do agree that Vrms*Irms*PF (with a single frequency signal) gives time averaged (real) power and not RMS power: RMS power or Wrms makes no technical sense and I tend to avoid the term.
              (PF means power factor)
              Actually, you are correct -- I mis-typed -- the Vg "value" should be 35Vg, derived from one-half of Vgg; ie: Vg = (70Vpp/2). Hopefully, I haven't made other such errors in my previous posts, for which I will apologize in advance (can't make corrections because time-out has occurred).
              Last edited by Old Tele man; 06-24-2019, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
                LT! Always good to see you ‘round here, man. But, I don’t think that’s right. The average value of a sine wave is zero. RMS works out to the equivalent of 1/sqrt2
                But you’re right about it representing an equivalent DC Voltage or Current.

True, but a resistor doesn't get cold just because the Voltage in negative. When you square the Voltage or current term, that fixes the problem.

Going back to pre-calculus, a unit sine wave squared comes out to an inverted cosine wave 2x the frequency, half the amplitude offset by half. That's the squared part. The Mean part of that is one half, take the square root and you get .707...

Looking for a pic I had of a sine wave squared, I can't find it.
                WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
                  Going back to pre-calculus....
                  Pre-calculus?? Hold on, I’m gonna have to take my shoes off so I can count my toes as well if you’re gonna’ start getting all fancy on me
                  If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Looking for a pic I had of a sine wave squared, I can't find it.
                    Well, it should look similar to a full wave rectified one, since both negative and positive halves become positive when squared.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

As (sin x)ē = 0.5 (1-cos 2x), a sine squared results in a sinusoidal (cosine) of doubled frequency on top of a constant positive DC offset.
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

SINE-squared:

Name:	sin.gif
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	854124

COS-squared:

Name:	cos2.gif
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	854125

Comment

And finally, the Hamlet question.
                          How much power amplifier 100W has real power in W.

Name:	h27012.gif
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	854126
                          It's All Over Now

Comment

My take since forever is that "RMS power" should have been written as :"Power calculated using measured RMS Voltage"
                            I guess this is the implicit assumption used by everybody for decades now ... if not approaching a Century.

In practical terms it was the Industry standard and a very useful measurement until lately the strict Dictionary definition started to be used, not to clear things but to argue.

In any case it *amply* beats its Politically Correct substitutes:

* "average power" which has to jump through fire loops to explain why mathematically zero average for a sinewave means actual power dissipated into the speaker (heating it enough to *burn* it if too much)

* "continuous power" which is even worse.
                            As in: at least, RMS Volts and Average Volts do exist, there are equations using them and they are shown on instrument scales ..... try that with Continuous Volts.
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                              My take since forever is that "RMS power" should have been written as :"Power calculated using measured RMS Voltage"
                              I guess this is the implicit assumption used by everybody for decades now ... if not approaching a Century.
                              I agree that it probably should have been written and stated that way, because that's what's actually happening.

In practical terms it was the Industry standard and a very useful measurement until lately the strict Dictionary definition started to be used, not to clear things but to argue.
                              Well, not entirely true. The ONLY industry that ever used "watts RMS" is the audio industry.
                              A watt is a measure of work being done as the product of voltage and current. Like Old Tele Man says, RMS is a mathematical expression to provide a DC equivalent. Besides, for audio power into a reactive load, there are phase shifts between voltage and currents. True audio power measurement, what is called RMS power, is mathematically an integral of instantaneous power.

In any case it *amply* beats its Politically Correct substitutes:
                              Isn't it more of an engineering discussion, rather than a political one?

As in: at least, RMS Volts and Average Volts do exist...
                              I'm convinced of it!

Comment

Oh, part of it was written tongue in cheek, thatīs why I call it "Politically Correct" , but my point is that as I see it my slightly corrected definition agrees with what was used for ages by very serious Engineers.
                                And apparently it was good enough because nobody complained for decades and itīs still being used today in Factory Issued datasheets.
                                I only see it being argued in Forums, go figure.

Agree on the Dictionary definition of course, but rather than tearing down the crude but useful "RMS Power" definition Iīd add my slight semantic correction, just to put in written words what is already implicit.

As of "the Industry" , for *us* it clearly means the "Audio" related Industry.

Iīd never ever use "RMS Watts" to describe, say, an oven, a space heater, a Coffee maker, etc.
                                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                                X