New to winding pickups. Some questions to begin with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apologies if this is a thread hijack!
    I'm also beginning on a humbucker and have received conflicting information, maybe someone here could help me to clear that up!
    The parts in bold are of interest...

StewMac Humbucker kit instructions says: "Secure the lead wire and protect the coil wire. Repeat the winding procedure for the other coil (same winding direction, same number of turns)."

https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onlin...ickup_Kit.html

Ian Dayton "How to Make a Humbucker Pickup" says "The first step is to wind the bobbins. It is important to make sure to wind the bobbins in opposite directions."

https://courses.physics.illinois.edu...eport_Sp12.pdf

I bought the StewMac kit and I'm about to follow their instructions, but it is my understanding that the very name "Humbucking" comes from the ability to buck said hum, and that this only comes from one of the coils being reverse wound in relation to the other coil.
    I've done plenty of Strat sets with middle rw/rp and note the humbucking capability.

Which one is correct, StewMac or Mr. Dayton?

Your thoughts and replies are most welcome, and thanks for the warm welcome to the forum!

Cheers.

Comment

They can both be correct, but the stewmac method is the way Gibson started making them, back in the day?
      If you refer to the diagram below.
      It shows both coils wound the same direction.
      By tying the two finish leads together?
      The signal is going in one direction in one coil, and the other direction, in the other coil.
      In the diagram the North coil signal is inside out going Clockwise.
      With the two finish leads tied together?
      On the South coil the signal is outside in, going Counter Clockwise.
      Creating the humbucking effect!

If you wind one coil CW, and one CCW?
      Then you would need to tie one finish lead to one start lead to make the polarity hum canceling.
      T
      Attached Files
      Last edited by big_teee; 08-02-2019, 08:43 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Thanks big teee, I do appreciate this. I can see how a newbie would be easily confused by this. The diagram helps.
        I've wound two coils in the same direction and I'll have a go at getting that wired up correctly, but next time I think I'll wind the two coils in opposing directions.
        Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo id View Post
          next time I think I'll wind the two coils in opposing directions.
          The standard way of wiring humbucker p'ups since the birth of the PAF, has always been winding both coils CCW, then wiring'em in the following fashion:

Screw coil: Start > ground - End > Live to Live Slug coil
          Slug coil: Live to Live Screw coil - Start > Output

Why would you do it differently? If you do it as you said, then it'll be out-of-phase with the rest of the market? It just doesn't make any sense.
          Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
          Milano, Italy

Comment

I've experimented with winding high output humbucker bobbins in different directions.
            Some of the Gibson Dirty finger pickups, have been recorded to be wound that way.
            For example:
            If you use no metal covers, and are trying to get the output lead further away from the center ground?
            You could have the output on the finish lead of the slug coil, tie the start to the finish of the screw coil, and tie the screw coil start to ground.
            That gives a little more separation, and IME, it worked well on high output pickups.
            As far as which direction you wind them, and how you orient the magnets, is strictly up to the builder.
            On a bridge pickup, I like a bit more turns on the slug coil.
            On neck pickups, I usually end up liking and winding both bobbins the same.
            I also like humbuckers without covers, and double screw bobbins.
            I suggest you experiment and figure out what you like.
            That's why we call it custom winding.
            GL,
            T
            Last edited by big_teee; 08-04-2019, 07:45 AM.
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Thanks Kojak. All I could find on this was conflicting information, as posted above.
              Indeed it doesn't make any sense. That's why I'm here, to ask the builders with experience.
              “Who loves ya, baby?” haha, now where's that lollypop?

Big T, Thanks again, it is all becoming clear now.
              I've not yet wired my humbucker coils together (the ones wound in the same direction) but I'll be sure to follow the jpeg you posted.
              Very helpful both Kojak and Big T, I do appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo id View Post
                Thanks Kojak. All I could find on this was conflicting information, as posted above.
                Indeed it doesn't make any sense. That's why I'm here, to ask the builders with experience.
                “Who loves ya, baby?” haha, now where's that lollypop?

Big T, Thanks again, it is all becoming clear now.
                I've not yet wired my humbucker coils together (the ones wound in the same direction) but I'll be sure to follow the jpeg you posted.
                Very helpful both Kojak and Big T, I do appreciate it.

Thanks.
                Just so you know I've never ever seen a brand of humbucker where the coils were not wound in the same direction & with either Finish ends connected together or the start ends.
                "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Fender did a lot of the reverse wound stuff.
                  The P-Bass Bucker Had some years wound like that.
                  Not sure what they did on the wide range buckers.
                  I started with the Stew Mac instructions, and they emphasized the right arm top going, Finish leads tied together.
                  If you use a 4 wire cable, you can come up with several combinations!
                  On 4 wire, I used the SD colors, the slug bobbin black and white, screw bobbin green & red!
                  GL,
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm feeling welcome here already. I do appreciate the help and words of advice.
                    Your posts are a wealth of knowledge.
                    Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                    X