X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
    In a nutshell, no.
    Thanks!
    I saw an Italian selling neodymium humbucker on ebay ... Is it you ?

Comment

Has anybody had success with remagnetizing ceramic magnets using neos?

Ceramic magnet data specifies a charging field strength of 10,000G for saturation (4 to 5 times higher than for most alnicos). 2 strong neo bars attached to a vise can produce a field of 3,000G to 6,000G in the airgap, which might not be sufficient for ceramics.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

We try to stay practical here in the B/H area.
        You can perk ceramics up, or run ceramics down a bit with Neos.
        I've done it.
        I'm strictly talking bar magnets here.
        It also depends if your ceramics are C5, or C8. I have both kinds.
        They look the same, but sound a bit different, and the C5 will measure just a little less than a C8 bar, but much more than a A5 bar.
        If you like the tone of Alnico, you can get a hot tone, with a bit more tonal warmth with A8, bar magnets, vs Ceramic bar magnets.
        A8s gauss measure in the ball park of C5, and C8, but have a Alnico warmer tone.
        Beyond that, it is just trial and error to get the tonal sound you are looking for.
        You get the tone you're looking for, with the bobbins, by the amount of turns, TPL, and Tension.
        By trying different magnets, A2-A8, C5, C8, by trying different Pole steel metal types.
        Metal covers, also vary the tone.
        A combination of all the above will make the total pickup tonal sound.
        Keep making pickups, and you will figure out, what tonally works for you.
        GL,
        T
        **On the NEOs for guitar humbuckers.
        Most guitar players like either ceramic, or alnico.
        NEOs for Bass is another matter, and used a lot for bass.
        Last edited by big_teee; 07-20-2019, 02:45 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Neodymium for bass ? I think that for bass we would promote clean tone and neodymium can overdrive a clean amp so i'm surprised.
          It's hard to find neo's that would fit a humbucker, i found only one in china with the good dimensions and orientation, i asked a factory for custom making, but they want 250 magnets at least, so for just a try it's too much... 8 € per magnet ...a 2000 € order ...
          Some say it's good, some say it's horrible...
          Last edited by big_teee; 07-19-2019, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tepsamps View Post
            Thanks!
            I saw an Italian selling neodymium humbucker on ebay ... Is it you ?
            No.
            Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
            Milano, Italy

Comment

No.
              So mr Kojak, what do you like to wind?
              I do lots of Armchair winding these days!
              T
              Last edited by big_teee; 07-20-2019, 06:07 PM.
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                lots of Armchair winding these days!
                T
                You and me both, Tee!
                Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                Milano, Italy

Comment

I saw the specs of some high output humbuckers wound in UK, and they all use the trio magnets, one thick A5 or C8 in the center and 2 thick A5 or C8 spacers repelling.

Comment

I saw the specs of some high output humbuckers wound in UK, and they all use the trio magnets, one thick A5 or C8 in the center and 2 thick A5 or C8 spacers repelling.
                    I guess someone makes and sells them, but I've never seen any thick alnico bars, just the .125 inch thick kind.
                    I've seen all kind of the thick Ceramics.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                      I guess someone makes and sells them, but I've never seen any thick alnico bars, just the .125 inch thick kind.
                      I've seen all kind of the thick Ceramics.
                      T
                      Mike from British Cermag make'em. Not cheap, but If you wanna try, there you have It.
                      Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                      Milano, Italy

Comment

Neodymium for bass ? I think that for bass we would promote clean tone and neodymium can overdrive a clean amp so i'm surprised.
                        It's hard to find neo's that would fit a humbucker, i found only one in china with the good dimensions and orientation, i asked a factory for custom making, but they want 250 magnets at least, so for just a try it's too much... 8 € per magnet ...a 2000 € order ...
                        Some say it's good, some say it's horrible...
                        In a nutshell, neo bar magnets would be simply unusable in a std. humbucker design.
                        Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                        Milano, Italy

Comment

Mike from British Cermag make'em. Not cheap, but If you wanna try, there you have It.
                          This store is really great. They sell neodymium HB magnets, and thick ceramic spacers cheap, just what i was looking for.

Yes thick alnico bars are quite expensive, compared to ceramic. But not as expensive as in some stores where they just resell a 0,50 £ magnet for 4.5 or 7...In china the price is 0.22 USD for a thick ceramic HB magnet!!!

Comment

They sell neodymium HB magnets
                            They didn't last time I've shopped there, so I've just had to look.

Interesting, the short version is outsold; they use the lowest (N38) neodymium grade, which in theory would put'em in the same N cathegory of A9, which haven't been a great success in the few p'ups I've tried. Nails-on-the-chalkbord syndrome.

And for the experiences I've done with single-coil, Strat-type p'ups, although acheiving good output balance between strings by using different small mags in every slug, I don't think I'd like to try again. The outcome I got is a cold as ice, very clinic-sterile vibe as a set, being the bridge p'up the "worst offender", for the lack of a better word to describe it.

Of course, that's my own, taste-biased opinion. If anybody would like to experiment, just have at it, and please, keep us posted about the outcome. I'm open at learn new things, despite being an "old dog", so to speak.

Any takers?
                            Last edited by LtKojak; 07-22-2019, 06:52 AM.
                            Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                            Milano, Italy

Comment

I had them all from Cermag: the neodymium HB magnet and the thick A5 and C8. I use the thick A5 for Filtertron style pups in hb size and the thick C8 for high output humbuckers. I still don't know what to do with the neodymium HB magnet, though. I'm using it to pick up items which had fallen on the ground

Comment

Well ... I have to try. I'll try the thick C8 trio and the thin neo magnet as soon as i can. I'm moving house and all my stuff is packed.

Comment

Working...
                                X