Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube tester

Hello,

First, I hope this is the right place to put this thread. So, I have bought this old tube tester shown below. I paid quite a lot of money for it and it was supposed to work, at least that is what the previous owner told me. Unfortunately it does not work. The lamp is dead when you turn the switch on. When I opened it I saw that one of two wires (the white one in third picture) that should be connected to main switch is actually disconnected. I am quite disappointed now since the device is totally unuseful. What I want to know now is: Can it be repaired or fixed somehow? I would solder that wire myself but it is so tiny, like a hair, that I am afraid to mess with it. Thank you in advance and apologize if I made some language mistakes.

That white wire appears to be thin but appears to be solid core wire. It's not like a tiny strand of wire and is probably pretty strong in actuality. Looks like it is supposed to be soldered into the other side of that switch terminal. Soldering it in should be relatively simple. Hopefully that's the only problem you have and it turns on.
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Looks as if you have the manual. Does it contain a schematic?
      I think the white wire is a primary wire of the power transformer. But before connecting you should verify that you use the correct transformer tap for your mains voltage.
      Some more info here: http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Roeh...e/Euratele.htm and https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/eurate...et_alt_eu.html
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The white wire is the 0 volt wire from the primary side of the power transformer.
        It goes to the power switch.
        The other side of the power switch (Red?) should go to the mains socket.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	euratele2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	854118
        The power switch itself is covered by a wire in this pic.
        Still, you can see the white wire going to it.

"But before connecting you should verify that you use the correct transformer tap for your mains voltage."
        What Helmholtz is cautioning you about is to make sure the primary is wired for your countries mains voltage.

The wiring can clearly be seen in this schematic.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Schaltbild.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	854119

Comment

Thank you for your replies. I have taken a few more pictures. Actually, the middle one from above is not mine, it was taken from internet. But on the pictures below you can see that someone has been messing with transformer. You can see the cardboard pieces around it, and piece of tape holding the white wire that is disconnected. Well, I will try to solder back that wire and see will it work.

Comment

Originally posted by Echo Canyon View Post
            Thank you for your replies. I have taken a few more pictures. Actually, the middle one from above is not mine, it was taken from internet. But on the pictures below you can see that someone has been messing with transformer. You can see the cardboard pieces around it, and piece of tape holding the white wire that is disconnected. Well, I will try to solder back that wire and see will it work.

Protect your investment an build a lightbulb limiter before you apply power.

nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Looking at the new picture that wire looks like much thinner gauge wire than it did in the original picture. Weird. Is it stranded wire and lots of strands broken off? Yup light bulb 💡 limiter is a great idea.
              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Usually when a transformer insulator cover is cut like that, someone is looking for a open thermistor. Before you resolder anything measure the primary leads for continuity. Lifting one side is exactly what someone would do checking for an open primary.. then looking for an open thermistor, forensically. However.. I doubt if a piece this old has a thermistor in the transformer primary. I guess it’s possible.
                Last edited by olddawg; 06-25-2019, 05:25 AM.

Comment

I guess I will take it to professional electrician since I really don't know anything about electricity. And I don't have much time to mess with it. I have bought this device in Germany where I work but now I am on vacation in my homeland, somewhere in eastern Europe So, it would not cost me much to take it to electrician, since everything is much cheaper over here.
                  Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
                  Looking at the new picture that wire looks like much thinner gauge wire than it did in the original picture. Weird. Is it stranded wire and lots of strands broken off?
                  I don't think so. I have peeled off like a half inch of isolator and there was still only this tinny one.

Anyways, thank you all for your help.

Comment

I would send it back and recover money, period.
                    It´s a scam so nobody knows what else could be broken.
                    It could NEVER have worked that way and although wires can break in transit, theu don´t attach themselves anyhwhere with apiece of tape, so seller is CLEARLY lying.
                    Can´t you cancel payment to begin with?

Besides, it´s a very poor tube tester, the crudest one possible, only checks tube passes some current, period, no clue about gain - transconductance - etc.
                    And probably detects *gross* shorts.

Not suitable to "grade" tubes at all, just a crude "go-no go" type check.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I tried to send it back but seller just doesn't want to accept it. Since I paid by bank transfer I can't do anything anymore. I can't even left a negative review since it has been bought on the Craigslist type of site. He sent me a picture where the lamp is lightened. But that picture could have been taken a years ago.
                      I told him that it has been opened and showed him the picture, but he just doesn't reply anymore.
                      Well, I know I made a mistake. I knew it was not the best tube tester you can get, but I just wanted to have one, even if it is just a basic "go-no go" type of tester. And I did not want to pay like 400-500 eur/$ for it. But still i have paid quite a lot for what I've got. Well, it is what it is. I have probably wasted my money, but I hope lesson has been learned so I will never make such a stupid mistake again.
                      Last edited by Echo Canyon; 06-25-2019, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                        Usually when a transformer insulator cover is cut like that, someone is looking for a open thermistor.
                        I'm not seeing a cut insulator. I see a couple cardboard shims that may have been wedged in there to try and quiet down a buzzing transformer?

Echo Canyon, don't give up yet. If the seller won't do anything for you, then you have nothing to lose by trying to get it working.
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                          I'm not seeing a cut insulator. I see a couple cardboard shims that may have been wedged in there to try and quiet down a buzzing transformer?

Echo Canyon, don't give up yet. If the seller won't do anything for you, then you have nothing to lose by trying to get it working.
                          And only experience to gain.
                          nosaj
                          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post

Agree. Especially since there isn't much to the thing- transformer, sockets, and a handfull of "smalls".
                            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

https://elektrotanya.com/euratele_tube_tester_sm.pdf/download.html#dl
                              http://www.retro.co.za/zs1ke/Eurelec/jogis-rouhrenbude.de-translated.pdf
                              http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Roehren-Geschichtliches/Roe-Pruefer/Euratele/Euratele-alt.pdf
                              http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Roehren-Geschichtliches/Roe-Pruefer/Euratele/Euratele.htm

Schematics is extremely simple.
                              Before turning it on, check that the transformer primary is set to the correct mains voltage (117 or 230V).

Question:
                              Is the main transformer, factory or is it rewind?
                              Last edited by vintagekiki; 08-04-2019, 06:47 AM.
                              It's All Over Now

Comment

Working...
                              X