1967 Fender Bassman Question - Power Supply Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by keithb7 View Post
    Removing the secondaries from the PT at the input connection at the rectifier/bias board, the PT draws little to no amps. The light bulb limiter stays very dim.
    Wait, are you saying that with the HT secondary wires disconnected, the light bulb lights up at all? It should not be very dim, it should dark. Nothing at all.

Even a "very dim" bulb indicates some current. Where is that current going? The bias circuit? that shouldn't be enough to light the bulb, not even very dimly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Bones View Post
      Wait, are you saying that with the HT secondary wires disconnected, the light bulb lights up at all? It should not be very dim, it should dark. Nothing at all.

Even a "very dim" bulb indicates some current. Where is that current going? The bias circuit? that shouldn't be enough to light the bulb, not even very dimly.
      Let's be clear when someone says disconnect the secondaries that means all windings HV, Bias, Filament.
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

He said he disconnected the secondary wires to the rectifier/bias board. Near as I can tell, that means the heaters are still running.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          He said he disconnected the secondary wires to the rectifier/bias board. Near as I can tell, that means the heaters are still running.
          Tubes have heaters? I should probably be banned.

Comment

Tubes have heaters? I should probably be banned.
            Ok but are you sure?

Nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Even with ALL secondary wires disconnected, there is still the magnetizing current of the PT which can make even a 100W bulb light dimly.
              Last edited by Helmholtz; 07-02-2019, 07:37 PM.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                Even with ALL secondary wires disconnected, there is still the magnetizing current of the PT which can make even a 100W bulb light dimly.
                Well, that was probably not the last time I'll say something stupid.

Stay tuned!!

Comment

Diodes arrived today in the mail. Immediately rebuilt the board with all new diodes. Replaced non-functioning stand-by switch. Amp plays and sounds awesome. I'll clean up a few things, spray the pots, set the bias and send it back to its owner.
                  Thanks for the tips folks. Power tranny was spared...Whew! That'll never happen again on my watch.

Great members here, great forum. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                    yup
                    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X