Thread: paint-inks for stamping pickups

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 1/0

paint-inks for stamping pickups

Hi guys .
    I had not thought about it before, but now I’ve come face to face.
    date stamping for pickups. I realized that I did not know anything about it.
    Is there a clue what paint to use for pickups?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 0/0
    Paint Pen(s), fine tip is best.

Roadhouse Pickups

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/0
    Given: 8/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnut View Post
    Paint Pen(s), fine tip is best.
    Hi Magnut
    Do these hold up to waxing and or lacquer dipping?

Cheers
    Andrew

Thumbs Up/Down
    but it is interesting to me to the process with rubber stamps.
    and yes.. problem in lacquer, wax, temperature

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 827/32
    Given: 819/14
    What if, you use a rubber adjustable stamp?
    What if you use some permanent stamp pad ink for the stamp?
    This one came up when searched.
    https://www.rubberstampchamp.com/pro...stazon-inkpad/
    That would be similar to writig with a permanent laundry sharpie!
    T

Last edited by big_teee; 06-27-2019 at 07:51 PM.
    If You Find Yourself in a Hole, Quit Digging ! Will Rogers 1930s.

Terry

Woodgrinder/Pickupwinder copperheadroads's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 40/0
    Given: 38/0
    I recently sourced a white ink stamp & tried putting my logo on my flatwork before lacquer dipping & after it came out of the lacquer it was smeared too much to pick it out . i will try after lacquering later & hope it survives the wax pot .

"UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,855/22
    Given: 1,452/35
    Inks suitable for marker use are solvent based and dry by simple evaporation.
    In principle will stand molten wax but any lacquer is based, precisely, on some kind of solvent, which can melt or smear or crackle any ink.

IF you want to label your pickups you might try to learn silkscreening; two component epoxy ink/paint is impervious to anything, including acetone.

After proper curing, of course.

Juan Manuel Fahey

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 94/1
    Given: 203/1
    Quote Originally Posted by copperheadroads View Post
    I recently sourced a white ink stamp & tried putting my logo on my flatwork before lacquer dipping & after it came out of the lacquer it was smeared too much to pick it out . i will try after lacquering later & hope it survives the wax pot .
    A coat of shellac would probably protect the stamp from the lacquer. It makes a great barrier coat for spraying anyways. Dipping may have different results with being exposed to the solvent for a longer time but worth a try.

Thumbs Up/Down
    >> This one came up when searched.
    https://www.rubberstampchamp.com/pro...stazon-inkpad/
    That would be similar to writig with a permanent laundry sharpie!<<

These are unlikely to fit. They are not intended for porous surfaces. I mean vulcanized fiber

Thumbs Up/Down
    What white paint did you use? What material is your Flatwork for paint?
    I think it is necessary to apply the paint before immersion in varnish. if applied after varnishing, then after a while the varnish will be rubbed off together with paint

Last edited by vitaliikit; 06-28-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by J M Fahey View Post
    Inks suitable for marker use are solvent based and dry by simple evaporation.
    In principle will stand molten wax but any lacquer is based, precisely, on some kind of solvent, which can melt or smear or crackle any ink.

IF you want to label your pickups you might try to learn silkscreening; two component epoxy ink/paint is impervious to anything, including acetone.

After proper curing, of course.
    paints can be based on different solvents that are not susceptible to nitrolac.
    for example, on the basis of oil, on the basis of solvent, on the basis of alcohol .. and others.

silkscreening and the like are too complicated. the process should be easy and quick. This is just a date or serial number. For example, Fender pickups are fast in stamping , and sometimes around 50 years are not erased.
    modern technologies can allow to increase the quality and durability.

Woodgrinder/Pickupwinder copperheadroads's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 40/0
    Given: 38/0
    I'm using water based finish to dip my bobbins in & the ink is not holding up as it gets cloudy . Have not used nitro in years for bobbins . i will have to try it after they are wound & see it it survives the wax pot .

"UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/0
    Real oil paint will resist potting et al, but requires time to dry (meaning cure chemically). This can be sped up by drying in a warm oven.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,109/4
    Given: 2,402/0
    Could you put a piece of tape over the date marking to help it survive lacquer and wax? Then just peel off the tape to reveal the marking. Or, conversely, put the tape on the place where you wish to mark it and the peel off the tape to reveal a markable surface after the lacquer and potting are done. Not sure what tape would work. 3M use to make 2070 (solvent resistant) masking tape and it stays on pretty damn well in the sun on a dark surface. So, temps of 130*F maybe? not sure how much it will take max. Electrical tape will take some heat and there may be special high temp versions.

EDIT: The 3M solvent resistant line is 2040. Not 2070.

Last edited by Chuck H; 08-22-2019 at 12:38 AM.
    "Never bet your life on somebody else doing their job." SoulFetish's good friend

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

"Back to the amp. It makes horrible sounds when I play my guitar thru it... because I suck at playing guitar." Mike6158

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
    Could you put a piece of tape over the date marking to help it survive lacquer and wax? Then just peel off the tape to reveal the marking. Or, conversely, put the tape on the place where you wish to mark it and the peel off the tape to reveal a markable surface after the lacquer and potting are done. Not sure what tape would work. 3M use to make 2070 (solvent resistant) masking tape and it stays on pretty damn well in the sun on a dark surface. So, temps of 130*F maybe? not sure how much it will take max. Electrical tape will take some heat and there may be special high temp versions.
    pickup flatwork has a porous surface, and the tape does not lie closely .., for nitro-lacquer, the tape is not a problem. but the second option might work. it seems mister Brandon does so Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Bobbin Fullerton Style Pickup set for Fender Strat.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	256.4 KB 
ID:	54815

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    For the record... I quoted an incorrect part number above. The 3M solvent resistant masking tape is their 2040 line. I think the 2070 line is their "safe release" low adhesion product. So... Use 2040 masking tape.

I chose to make a new post post AND an edit in case the info has already been documented by anyone. An edit would be more likely to go unnoticed.

"Never bet your life on somebody else doing their job." SoulFetish's good friend

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

"Back to the amp. It makes horrible sounds when I play my guitar thru it... because I suck at playing guitar." Mike6158

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaliikit View Post
    pickup flatwork has a porous surface, and the tape does not lie closely .., for nitro-lacquer, the tape is not a problem. but the second option might work. it seems mister Brandon does so Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Bobbin Fullerton Style Pickup set for Fender Strat.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	256.4 KB 
ID:	54815
    One tried and true way to solve problems is not getting into them.

In this picture I can *clearly* see that the bottom part (as seen) of the pickup where magnets and wire are, was dipped in some kind of lacquer, you can see itīs shiny and transparent, does not look like wax to me, while the top triangular flap where connecting rivets and rubber stamp are looks dry.
    The separating line is clearly visible.

Maybe pickups are held by the flap with pliers and put on a shallow tray sideways, as shown, for as long as needed.
    A tray with many pickups might even get inside some vacuum chamber for deeper potting.

The stamp area, which might use standard ink (oily? ... water based?) does not even touch lacquer.

Iīm not into pickups, which one is shown?
    An original one? A custom wind?

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    As for that separation line, I'm going with tape as the cause. You can see the tell tale ridging that happens when masking tape is used.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by J M Fahey View Post

Iīm not into pickups, which one is shown?
    An original one? A custom wind?
    this is Brandonwound pickups , you can easily find it on ebay

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks.

As of pickup lacquering, yes, maybe itīs tape.

My doubt is that tape is fine to protect from sprayed paint which if itīs the case, is only decorative; not sure at all how tape applied to such a flimsy and rough surface could protect that area when pickup is fully submerged in lacquer for anti-microphonic potting.

So my doubt remains: was that pickup fully submerged for deep impregnation?

Or it was just spray painted so it looks potted?

Juan Manuel Fahey

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 94/1
    Given: 203/1
    Did anyone try the shellac? I would if I had a pot of wax but I don't.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 7/0
    I'm using water based finish to dip my bobbins in & the ink is not holding up as it gets cloudy . Have not used nitro in years for bobbins . i will have to try it after they are wound & see it it survives the wax pot .
    Have you tried sealing the stamped flatwork with a spray on clear coat (let dry), then dipping ?

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 47/0
    Given: 22/0
    I suspect we are way overthinking this as usual. I really doubt Fender went to any trouble at all. Meanwhile good old carbon based India ink is pretty much impervious to solvents, oils and paraffin if you want black.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by David King View Post
    I suspect we are way overthinking this as usual. I really doubt Fender went to any trouble at all. Meanwhile good old carbon based India ink is pretty much impervious to solvents, oils and paraffin if you want black.
    Sure. But plain ol ink pens probably had something coser to a basic india ink product in them back then. Which was carbon in water with a little plant gum or egg white. Modern ink pens use dyes mixed with things like alcohol based polymers and anti clotting and drying agents so they last longer on the shelf and don't dry up. Unless pickup makers are using quill pens or buying specifically "india ink" pens for $$$ I assumed the discussion was about marking pickups with regular pens of today. Which, I suppose, may be different from what Fender used.?.

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/0
    Sure. But plain ol ink pens probably had something closer to a basic india ink product in them back then. Which was carbon in water with a little plant gum or egg white. Modern ink pens use dyes mixed with things like alcohol based polymers and anti clotting and drying agents so they last longer on the shelf and don't dry up. Unless pickup makers are using quill pens or buying specifically "india ink" pens for $$$ I assumed the discussion was about marking pickups with regular pens of today. Which, I suppose, may be different from what Fender used.?.
    Black-ink pens sold as "archival" typically contain carbon black in the ink. I like Sakura pens. My test is to write on a sample of the the surface to be used, allow ink to dry, and leave the sample on a sunny windowsill, in direct sun, for weeks. If it fades, it flunks. This will weed the usual dye-based inks out fairly quickly. There are a few kinds of dye that are pretty resistant to fading in the sunlight, but these dyes are expensive,

Thumbs Up/Down
    Sure. But plain ol ink pens probably had something coser to a basic india ink product in them back then. Which was carbon in water with a little plant gum or egg white. Modern ink pens use dyes mixed with things like alcohol based polymers and anti clotting and drying agents so they last longer on the shelf and don't dry up. Unless pickup makers are using quill pens or buying specifically "india ink" pens for $$$ I assumed the discussion was about marking pickups with regular pens of today. Which, I suppose, may be different from what Fender used.?.
    Leo was a simple guy ... and his early training was in accounting so he must have been up to date with office supplies.
    "1940's up to date" of course.

I BET those stamps are just *regular* office type rubber stamps, (or best case metallic ones) plus *regular* (1940īs style) stamp pad ink.

I canīt imagine him searching for NASA type stuff.
    If anything because NASA wouldnīt be invented until 20 years later

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thread Information