Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint-inks for stamping pickups

Hi guys .
    I had not thought about it before, but now I’ve come face to face.
    date stamping for pickups. I realized that I did not know anything about it.
    Is there a clue what paint to use for pickups?

Paint Pen(s), fine tip is best.
    Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Magnut View Post
      Paint Pen(s), fine tip is best.
      Hi Magnut
      Do these hold up to waxing and or lacquer dipping?

Cheers
      Andrew

Comment

but it is interesting to me to the process with rubber stamps.
        and yes.. problem in lacquer, wax, temperature

Comment

What if, you use a rubber adjustable stamp?
          What if you use some permanent stamp pad ink for the stamp?
          This one came up when searched.
          https://www.rubberstampchamp.com/pro...stazon-inkpad/
          That would be similar to writig with a permanent laundry sharpie!
          T
          Last edited by big_teee; 06-27-2019, 06:51 PM.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

I recently sourced a white ink stamp & tried putting my logo on my flatwork before lacquer dipping & after it came out of the lacquer it was smeared too much to pick it out . i will try after lacquering later & hope it survives the wax pot .
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Inks suitable for marker use are solvent based and dry by simple evaporation.
              In principle will stand molten wax but any lacquer is based, precisely, on some kind of solvent, which can melt or smear or crackle any ink.

IF you want to label your pickups you might try to learn silkscreening; two component epoxy ink/paint is impervious to anything, including acetone.

After proper curing, of course.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                I recently sourced a white ink stamp & tried putting my logo on my flatwork before lacquer dipping & after it came out of the lacquer it was smeared too much to pick it out . i will try after lacquering later & hope it survives the wax pot .
                A coat of shellac would probably protect the stamp from the lacquer. It makes a great barrier coat for spraying anyways. Dipping may have different results with being exposed to the solvent for a longer time but worth a try.

Comment

>> This one came up when searched.
                  https://www.rubberstampchamp.com/pro...stazon-inkpad/
                  That would be similar to writig with a permanent laundry sharpie!<<

These are unlikely to fit. They are not intended for porous surfaces. I mean vulcanized fiber

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                    What white paint did you use? What material is your Flatwork for paint?
                    I think it is necessary to apply the paint before immersion in varnish. if applied after varnishing, then after a while the varnish will be rubbed off together with paint
                    Last edited by vitaliikit; 06-28-2019, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                      Inks suitable for marker use are solvent based and dry by simple evaporation.
                      In principle will stand molten wax but any lacquer is based, precisely, on some kind of solvent, which can melt or smear or crackle any ink.

IF you want to label your pickups you might try to learn silkscreening; two component epoxy ink/paint is impervious to anything, including acetone.

After proper curing, of course.
                      paints can be based on different solvents that are not susceptible to nitrolac.
                      for example, on the basis of oil, on the basis of solvent, on the basis of alcohol .. and others.

silkscreening and the like are too complicated. the process should be easy and quick. This is just a date or serial number. For example, Fender pickups are fast in stamping , and sometimes around 50 years are not erased.
                      modern technologies can allow to increase the quality and durability.

Comment

I'm using water based finish to dip my bobbins in & the ink is not holding up as it gets cloudy . Have not used nitro in years for bobbins . i will have to try it after they are wound & see it it survives the wax pot .
                        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Real oil paint will resist potting et al, but requires time to dry (meaning cure chemically). This can be sped up by drying in a warm oven.

Comment

Could you put a piece of tape over the date marking to help it survive lacquer and wax? Then just peel off the tape to reveal the marking. Or, conversely, put the tape on the place where you wish to mark it and the peel off the tape to reveal a markable surface after the lacquer and potting are done. Not sure what tape would work. 3M use to make 2070 (solvent resistant) masking tape and it stays on pretty damn well in the sun on a dark surface. So, temps of 130*F maybe? not sure how much it will take max. Electrical tape will take some heat and there may be special high temp versions.

EDIT: The 3M solvent resistant line is 2040. Not 2070.
                            Last edited by Chuck H; 08-21-2019, 11:38 PM.
                            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                              Could you put a piece of tape over the date marking to help it survive lacquer and wax? Then just peel off the tape to reveal the marking. Or, conversely, put the tape on the place where you wish to mark it and the peel off the tape to reveal a markable surface after the lacquer and potting are done. Not sure what tape would work. 3M use to make 2070 (solvent resistant) masking tape and it stays on pretty damn well in the sun on a dark surface. So, temps of 130*F maybe? not sure how much it will take max. Electrical tape will take some heat and there may be special high temp versions.
                              pickup flatwork has a porous surface, and the tape does not lie closely .., for nitro-lacquer, the tape is not a problem. but the second option might work. it seems mister Brandon does so Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Bobbin Fullerton Style Pickup set for Fender Strat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	854604

Comment

Working...
                              X