Clear All

that's the way it is!!!

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
    Hello Christoph

Great minds think alike !!

Lg.
    Andrew

hi andrew,
    I'm awaiting the delivery of about 2,4 KG electrisola awg44 bonable wire. I can respool some of it, if anyone wants to experiment with bobbinless coils.
    greetings from duisburg / germany,
    chr.

Comment

Hi Christoph

I've wound it with 44awg 0.050mm single enamel 5200 turns = 7.25 k ohms I wound some humbucker paper tape around the former (helps to get coil off without damage) and vacuum waxed. The hardest part is wrapping some protective tape around the coil. Just out of interest where did you get the bondable wire? in Europe?
      Cheers

Andrew

Ps

I just found that wires.co.uk has it but only 5 kg min order

Comment

Hi Christoph

I've wound it with 44awg 0.050mm single enamel 5200 turns = 7.25 k ohms I wound some humbucker paper tape around the former (helps to get coil off without damage) and vacuum waxed. The hardest part is wrapping some protective tape around the coil. Just out of interest where did you get the bondable wire? in Europe?
        Cheers

Andrew

Ps

I just found that wires.co.uk has it but only 5 kg min order
        good evening andrew,

that's really true: to get some tape around the coil is tricky. I ended with putting a layer around the ends and lay some tape parallel to the long sides of the coil.
        I did the coils a mm wider than the core to minimize the risk of damage while putting it over the core.
        yes I have been a customer of electrisola in germany ( only about 70km away from my workshop) for about two decades and never had problems to get wires. just send a mail but be patient, it may take some time until you get an answer. no idea if they stock PE and/or HFV but I don't think so.
        you may send a PM with your adress to get some of my wire to give it a try. it's so much easier to handle.
        cheerio,
        chr.

Comment

Hi Christoph

If you get a chance can you ask Electrisola if they stock plain enamel and or heavy formvar. I got sent to their Swiss site, got no replies to my emails, and just get a reminder every so often that they are on holiday which really pisses me off as I was willing to spend some money with them as the shipping and taxes on wire from the USA is prohibitive.
          Thanks again for the offer of the wire but I managed ok with my normal wire and wound a couple of extra coils, which should last me till I die. I very rarely get one of these to repair and have to charge for the time which some people don't like to pay for on a beaten up old Framus or whatever guitar.
          Cheers
          Andrew

Comment

hi andrew,
            got the answer from electrisola that we didn't want to get.
            they don't stock plain enamel in europe because there isn't enough interest
            since most pickup businesses turned to P155. I was adviced to contact MWS in the US.
            that's the way it is!
            cheers,
            chr.

Comment

Plexiglass and good old-fashioned smarts. This is good stuff.

Comment

Servus Christoph

Thanks for your time. I figured Elektrisola wern't interested. It's strange that a company that produces a product is not willing to supply to a certain region. I would have thought the whole of Europe should have enough customers to make it worthwhile to stock plain enamel. I get the feeling that no one at electrisola has actually asked any one if they would be interested in buying it. Their complete lack of response to my enquiry leads me to think that it's lazy (bad ) buisness practice. I'm sure that a chinese producer will step in sometime soon?
                Cheers
                Andrew

Comment

plain-desaster

Servus Christoph

Thanks for your time. I figured Elektrisola wern't interested. It's strange that a company that produces a product is not willing to supply to a certain region. I would have thought the whole of Europe should have enough customers to make it worthwhile to stock plain enamel. I get the feeling that no one at electrisola has actually asked any one if they would be interested in buying it. Their complete lack of response to my enquiry leads me to think that it's lazy (bad ) buisness practice. I'm sure that a chinese producer will step in sometime soon?
                  Cheers
                  Andrew
                  hey andrew,
                  if you're interested, I'll forward the mail to you. living in vienna I'd think you understand german.
                  regarding chinese wire, I am not that optimistic, most of the manufacturers want a minimum order of 1000kg
                  and all of them, even if they accept small orders do not have or even know PE. on the other hand there are
                  pickups from korea, maybe china that are offered as wound with PE, where do they get it from?
                  yesterday I got a small spool of brownish wire AWG 46 made by pope in holland that looks a lot like PE.
                  very thin, purchased it just out of curiosity. anyway pope doesn't exist any more but this makes me believe that there
                  must have been some production of PE in europe. maybe there's some of this stuff sleeping anywhere waiting to be
                  discovered?
                  cheers from germany to all,
                  chr.

Comment

Hi Christoph

I would like to see that mail just out of interest.
                    Lg.

Andrew

Comment

Hi Christoph

I got the mail, thank you. I tried to reply to your pm but it somehow didn't work. Anyway thanks again.

Lg, Andrew

Comment

Hello! Is this any use to you? https://www.wires.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh00...SX0063_2d001KG

Comment

hi gonzo id,
                          thanks for the advice. I've purchased several times from wire.co.uk, they never have had plain enamel wire.
                          it's almost impossible to get it in europe.
                          all the best,
                          chr.

Comment

Working...
                          X