Super high B+ issue, tube amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super high B+ issue, tube amp

Getting some HIGH voltage, like 700V with this Bogen and have had to series-up pairs of filter caps to accommodate.
    If I can add a dropping resistor after the screens, R75, for the PI what would be a good value and Wattage? Preferred. It has six current-drawing preamp tubes. a few ala 12dw7, the Mullard 7247. Now, at the PI I have a 500V JJ filter cap that getting stressed and warm.
    Or how would I remove the voltage doubler? Or which circuit would I emulate as of the three secondaries, only the B+ hasn't a center tap?

Aside from this, what cool things can I do with those Remote strips? I fell that this could be a helpful multi-tube mic preamp for recording in my small studio! It is almost restored...
    Attached Files

What are you getting for AC heater voltages on V7 and V8?
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist View Post
      Getting some HIGH voltage, like 700V with this Bogen and have had to series-up pairs of filter caps to accommodate.
      If I can add a dropping resistor after the screens, R75, for the PI what would be a good value and Wattage? Preferred. It has six current-drawing preamp tubes. a few ala 12dw7, the Mullard 7247. Now, at the PI I have a 500V JJ filter cap that getting stressed and warm.
      Or how would I remove the voltage doubler? Or which circuit would I emulate as of the three secondaries, only the B+ hasn't a center tap?
      I have to wonder, is that schematic really the correct one for your amp? OR did some bright spark swap in a different power transformer? One that's obviously not the right one for your amp.

Once you do get it running, yes it could be a terrific recording amp. Just worked on a Challenger 18, a real old "toaster" lookin' PA amp. Tone choices all over the place, all of them terrific. Hope yours does equally well once it's fixed right.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
        What are you getting for AC heater voltages on V7 and V8?
        This^^^^. And is it blowing up the 100V bias filter cap?
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
        X