• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
    My preferred tube info search page https://bms.isjtr.ro/search.html
    Don’t even need to hit ‘return’!
    I like it
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The KT66 is described as a "beam pentode" with a max Vp of 500 and a max diss of 25W.

The kt77 is described as a "beam tetrode" with a max Vp of 800 and a max diss of 28W.

You have 503Vp at what is already significant current that should be reduced a little (by doing the voltage doubler bias mod). As g1 indicates, this is a common solution to an old amp operating in new conditions. It's a common addendum to many HW circuits because they don't work right otherwise.

Knowing how the problematic it's been in recent history to load current production big bottles into higher voltage vintage amps, this would be all the information I needed to avoid putting kt66's into that amp. JM2C and YMMV.

I would probably go with Ruby EL34-B tubes. These are just Ruby selected Shuguang tubes. They're the only ones that held up and sounded good in a recent build of mine with 480Vp.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        You have 503Vp at what is already significant current that should be reduced a little (by doing the voltage doubler bias mod). As g1 indicates, this is a common solution to an old amp operating in new conditions. It's a common addendum to many HW circuits because they don't work right otherwise.
        I d´ont know if I understood correctly but the DR504 does not need a voltage doubler. It´s enough to extend the voltage divider to the good side with an adjustable resistor. It's the DR103 that needs it.
        My advice is to use low-grade EL34 to get some compression. Otherwise they are hard like a stone.
        The low grade EL34 (B-STR - Modern Shuguang) I buy them through TAD selecting lower PC number (relative plate current). I imagine that with Ruby it can also be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Vecino View Post
          I d´ont know if I understood correctly but the DR504 does not need a voltage doubler. It´s enough to extend the voltage divider to the good side with an adjustable resistor. It's the DR103 that needs it.
          You're absolutely right. I didn't look at the schematic and took g1's post at face value. Looking at the schematic I see that the bias supply for the dr504 has room for adjustment in the voltage division. Thank you for the clarification.

Comment

"I d´ont know if I understood correctly but the DR504 does not need a voltage doubler. It´s enough to extend the voltage divider to the good side with an adjustable resistor."

Could this be explained further? I am not sure I understand your meaning here.
            It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Yes. It appears in the schematics of M. Huss.

Click image for larger version

Name:	H3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	854210

The voltage doubler is only essential in the DR103 (100 watts). Although it also serves the system that Marshall uses in the JCM900. The latter is simpler, with fewer components.
              I d´ont have pics of the bias circuit in the DR504 because it´s very simple. In the DR103 the voltage doubler can be quite laborious if you want to do with the original style of the amp. I keep this image as a reference:

Name:	biashiwatt.jpg
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	854211
              Last edited by Pedro Vecino; 07-07-2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Why is the diode changed in the bias mod? Would a 1N4007 do the job?

Comment

It´s not necessary. A 1N4007 works perfectly.

Comment

Customer opted for JJ KT77s, and rated at 800v, works for me. JJ datasheets sometimes get lost on me. Looking at this one, is this a max diss. 25w or 28w?

https://www.jj-electronic.com/images...s/pdf/kt77.pdf

I did that bias mod, and man was that a chore. I did it topside so as to not disturb the wiring.

Name:	001.JPG
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	854262

Comment

The plate dissipation is 25W. What the sheet means by that is that the total of plate AND screen dissipation shouldn't exceed 28W total. So any combination where Plate <25W, Screen <6W, AND Plate+Screen <28W is good.

Justin
                      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

So, when measuring with a socket type bias probe or across a 1 ohm cathode resistor, I am measuring total dissipation, right? Plate and screen?

Comment

Yes, both plate and screen current run through the cathode.
                          If using socket type bias probe, you need to verify it is measuring cathode current, some do measure plate current only.
                          Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

yes, this one breaks the connection at pin 8 and routes it thru your ammeter.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
                              Customer opted for JJ KT77s, and rated at 800v, works for me. JJ datasheets sometimes get lost on me. Looking at this one, is this a max diss. 25w or 28w?

https://www.jj-electronic.com/images...s/pdf/kt77.pdf...
                              I think that the Wa,g2 limiting value is intended for UL applications; for this Hiwatt it's the Wa 'plate only' limit of 25W that's relevant.
                              My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Working...
                              X