Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mismatched power tubes

Hi all,

I just finished working on a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue (new filter caps, rebiasing to factory spec). I'm sending a 1khz sine wave into the power amp input, and this is what I get on the scope:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0434-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	927.7 KB
ID:	874735

One side of the waveform is clipping much sooner than the other. If I flip the power tubes, the top of the wave clips early instead of the bottom.

Is this a case of mismatched tubes? Is this expected in tube amps? Is this considered normal operation, or is there something else I should be looking at?

Thank you!
    Matt

If the early clipping follows the tube, then the tube is at fault. I do not expect this behavior to be considered normal.
    What audio power do you get when adjusted right at the point it begins to clip?
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

To expand on this...

You absolutely can expect asymmetry in most tube amps when clipping, but typically only when clipping hard. Hard as in pretty much a square wave. I mention it just so tubes won't be your first suspect when you see it under this circumstance. In this case, particularly since the asymmetry follows the tube, I'd agree with eschertron and call out the tubes. Is it normal? Nope. That's way too much mismatch. Even with "unmatched" tubes you'll never see that much difference. You've got a very weak tube there.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks folks. Threw in a pair of new 6l6s I had waiting for another project and it looks nice and powerful and symmetrical. Much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by Drummer4gc View Post
          Hi all,

I just finished working on a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue (new filter caps, rebiasing to factory spec). I'm sending a 1khz sine wave into the power amp input, and this is what I get on the scope:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54230[/ATTACH]

One side of the waveform is clipping much sooner than the other. If I flip the power tubes, the top of the wave clips early instead of the bottom.

Is this a case of mismatched tubes? Is this expected in tube amps? Is this considered normal operation, or is there something else I should be looking at?

Thank you!
          Matt
          That is the waveform of a single tube,the other is not conducting at all

Comment

Originally posted by alexradium View Post
            That is the waveform of a single tube,the other is not conducting at all
            ^^^^^ exactly right. The audible symptoms are usually very low output volume and heavily distorted. Swap them out with some pulls and see if it fixes it. If so, then one of your tubes is shite.
            If it still looks like this, then dollars to donuts that one of the plate resistors in your phase inverter is open.
            If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

I think he wrapped it up in post #4.
              Good info anyway though.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
              X