X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first pickup wind gone bad

Hello
    I'm new to the forum.
    Today I wound my first single coil pickup using 42AWG enamel wire. When I checked the ohms, I got no reading. I admit I probably didn't remove the enamel very well on the ends of the wire. Could this be the problem?

Yes, you need to use a fine sandpaper (carefully) before you wrap into the rivets. The solder should flow nice. I do the start rivet soldering before i even wind, because if it breaks when you are done, it will be too short to reach the rivet.

Comment

I fold over a small piece of fine emery cloth or similar, lightly pinch it around the wire end, and pull the wire through. Alternatively, I'll place the wire end on the surface of a sharpening stone I have and brush the wire with the emery cloth. For me, at least, the trick is being able to hold the wire steady so as to accept the abrasion. The insulation on the wire makes it really slippery, so whatever helps to hold the wire in place is good.

Comment

Don't scrap that pickup for the reason you didn't sand the insulation off well enough . it my be a longshot but you can remove the finish from Plain enamel wire with the hot tip from the iron by pushing the against the magnet wire in the eyelet .
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

So I cut off the wire and started again. This time I used 400 grit sandpaper instead of 1000. I could clearly see the exposed wire and now I get a reading and it's right where I want it to be.
          Thanks for the help guys

Comment

Some wires are easy to clean off, some are a PITA. I use my solder iron and an ammoniacal stone, if it's a good translation, a white block that is used to clean solder iron tips.
            And it works great even with the strongest enamel. Hot tin removes the insulation pretty well..

Comment

I wave a match over the end of wire, if you do it carefully you'll see a flash when the insulation burns off, takes about .5 of a second.
              Easy with a bit of practice!

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I pin the wire down to my work bench with my index finger and then gently wipe a 600 grit sandpaper along the wire to the end. It takes some practice not to press too hard or pull too hard, but do this before you start winding so if it snaps you don't kill the pickup.

Comment

Working...
                X