Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
    Thank You Helm
    I still have half of 12au7 unused. I can made a cf to put in front of, between tone control and 12au7 gain stage. Do You think it solve my problem, please ? Thanks.
    That sounds like a promising idea. But first I would try to verify that lowering grid impedance actually cures the issue (see my proposals above).
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thank You,
      Without nfb the amp is stable, meant have not the issues mentioned before.
      Then by all means do NOT use that much NFB.

Back it down to 12dB so you have better than 6dB stability margin.

DonŽt band-aid a poor design choice.

In any case, why do you need so much NFB on a *guitar* amp?

All youŽll get is sharper edged, flatter topped, symmetrical halves squarewaves when overdriving, plus lower output impedance (higher damping), all undesirable, you might as well make an SS amplifier, not kidding.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I tied 23pF ( 2x47 series) from grid of 12au7 to ground. It osscilate on very different waveforms , depends by treble pot position
        "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
          Then by all means do NOT use that much NFB.

Back it down to 12dB so you have better than 6dB stability margin.

DonŽt band-aid a poor design choice.

In any case, why do you need so much NFB on a *guitar* amp?

All youŽll get is sharper edged, flatter topped, symmetrical halves squarewaves when overdriving, plus lower output impedance (higher damping), all undesirable, you might as well make an SS amplifier, not kidding.
          Hey JMF , it is boomy, actually found 9-12 db tame it enough and let me keep enough low end. This happen with cabinets I have. I made a sealed one with 158cb from eminence and found also to be the best rapport
          12db is what I use and issues was related to that. It is a amp for bass guitar
          "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

I tied also DC coupled the 12au7 to 12at7 PI and is the same. Please let me know what did from posted picture a bad design related to my actual issues? I.m pretty interested to know what kind of predictable mistakes the circuit have, please. Thanks.

Comment

So the problem is related by the tone control and input of12au7 , that is correct ?
              Last edited by catalin gramada; 07-20-2019, 06:23 PM.

Comment

I tied 23pF ( 2x47 series) from grid of 12au7 to ground. It osscilate on very different waveforms , depends by treble pot position
                This at least shows that there is an influence of grid circuit impedance. Next I would connect a variable resistor of 500k or 1M directly between the 12AU7 grid and ground (short leads!) and vary/lower resistance until the amp is stable. Of course this will reduce preamp gain but the result will show if a passive solution would make sense.

I don't see something obviously wrong in your circuit but please post complete schematic. The main issue seems to be a relatively high feedback ratio for a given non-ideal layout and OT and probably insufficient frequency compensation.

BTW, cabinet boominess could also be adressed by acoustic cabinet damping - or by a high damping factor SS power amp.
                Last edited by Helmholtz; 07-20-2019, 09:12 PM.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

So the problem is related by the tone control and input of12au7 , that is correct ?
                  The settings of tone and volume pots change the grid circuit impedance.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Schematic and grounding layout,please

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190720_231331.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	854325

Name:	20190720_231839.jpg
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	854326

Comment

Some mentions are necessary as follow:
                      1.I already buit an amp exactly same which not perform any issues and work flawless...who knows why...?
                      2.tried 1M grid leaks did not changed nothing
                      3.The problem is the same AC or DC coupling between 12au7 and PI
                      4. power stage work without problem with signal from generator, even with 20db feedback

Heard a noise like arcing when power stage clipping. I don't know if commin from OT or power tubes. The problem is related when treble pot is in max position, or ,if is at max when volume pot goes to max, and all time when power stage goes to clipping
                      Last edited by catalin gramada; 07-20-2019, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Schematic and grounding layout,please

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54394[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54395[/ATTACH]
                        Power tube grid drive/biasing is not clear. I don't see coupling caps.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

That,s happen when try to do some in a rush, I,m very sorry. Sent the additional Infos in attach

Name:	20190721_001611.jpg
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	854327

Name:	20190721_001629.jpg
Size:	4.19 MB
ID:	854328

It is mess due to multiple desperate soldering interventions, but You can get an ideea. Thank You

Comment

And a pic with the cab built for it: 3.5cf sealed cab with Eminence 158cb

Name:	20190615_210512.jpg
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	854329

Found 10-12 db nfb to balance very well with tight and low end enough for 4 strings.

Comment

Amp output and input of 12au7 with signal from generator

Name:	20190721_122923.jpg
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	854333

and clipping

Name:	20190721_122943.jpg
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	854334

12db nfb

Comment

With signal generator connected in front of tone controls ( both treble and bass at max)

Name:	20190721_124530.jpg
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	854335

and clipping

Name:	20190721_124559.jpg
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	854336

12db nfb

Comment

Working...
                                X