Fender "the Twin' clean channel volume drop after few minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender "the Twin' clean channel volume drop after few minutes

I notice when I turn on the amp, and slowly raise the volume up as I strum, the volume is very loud very quick, I can actually still hear it faintly if I back it down to 0. Then after a few minutes, the volume drops significantly. But the thing is, it seems like the volume drops to where it should be in relation to the knob, but I could be totally wrong about that. The tone changes a little bit as well, that too is for the better I feel like. Although its done this since I acquired the amp, I figured Id share its recent history... Recently changed 3 filter caps, C110-112, tested all tubes and replaced two preamp tubes that tested bad. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Are there FX loop Send/ Return jacks?

Try running a patch cord between them.

Comment

I notice when I turn on the amp, and slowly raise the volume up as I strum, the volume is very loud very quick, I can actually still hear it faintly if I back it down to 0. Then after a few minutes, the volume drops significantly. But the thing is, it seems like the volume drops to where it should be in relation to the knob, but I could be totally wrong about that.
      Does that mean that volume and amp work normal after warm-up?

If you turn guitar volume way down and turn amp volume fully up, is there still any change with warm-up?

Anyway I would check the vol. pot and its connections in addition to JPB's proposal. Could be a lot of other temperature induced causes, but most probably contact related.
      Last edited by Helmholtz; 07-15-2019, 04:29 PM.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

JPB- I actually just saw a video talking about this and have yet to give it a try. One thing the video did not specify was if this could be the cause whether or not the FX loop is being used or not. Ive never used the FX loop, but I guess the contact could still be worn.

Helm- Since the recent repairs, yes, Im pretty sure its running normal after warm up. Only played a couple times since. And Ive never tried with guitar volume down before, I will try this as well.

Thanks guys!

Comment

One thing the video did not specify was if this could be the cause whether or not the FX loop is being used or not. Ive never used the FX loop, but I guess the contact could still be worn.
          The contacts of a switching jack tend to oxidize/corrode especially when not regularly used.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by SCStowaway View Post
            I notice when I turn on the amp, and slowly raise the volume up as I strum, the volume is very loud very quick, I can actually still hear it faintly if I back it down to 0. Then after a few minutes, the volume drops significantly. But the thing is, it seems like the volume drops to where it should be in relation to the knob, but I could be totally wrong about that. The tone changes a little bit as well, that too is for the better I feel like. Although its done this since I acquired the amp, I figured Id share its recent history... Recently changed 3 filter caps, C110-112, tested all tubes and replaced two preamp tubes that tested bad. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
            I have fender twin with the same symptoms and i have seen another person with the same symptoms. I wonder if there is a common failure.

Comment

Originally posted by SCStowaway View Post
              JPB- I actually just saw a video talking about this and have yet to give it a try. One thing the video did not specify was if this could be the cause whether or not the FX loop is being used or not. Ive never used the FX loop, but I guess the contact could still be worn.

Helm- Since the recent repairs, yes, Im pretty sure its running normal after warm up. Only played a couple times since. And Ive never tried with guitar volume down before, I will try this as well.

Thanks guys!
              hey do you have a link to this video?

Comment

No video but there is a pdf file about it here: https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ad.php?t=28549
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                X