Raychem VC 5300 Heat Gun, made in West Germany, 1970's-1980's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raychem VC 5300 Heat Gun, made in West Germany, 1970's-1980's

I have two of these Raychem VC5300 Heat Guns, though Raychem was NOT the mfgr. These were made by somebody in West Germany back in the 70's & 80's....not sure when they were discontinued. 120VAC unit, 3-position power switch...center off, one side no heat, other side heat applied. The heater assembly is made of 24AWG Nichrome Wire, coil dia is 0.112". One of my units works just fine after all these years, the other one had the heater coil finally open in two locations near the top, and near the bottom of the coil, it was ready to burn open.

The replacement heater assy is P/N 991313-000 CV5300, though long since unavailable. The ceramic coil form had also broken in two, and I just glued it back together with JB Weld this past weekend. I've no idea who made these, though the heater assy pins look a lot like those in the Steinel & Leister heat guns. I'm now just starting to look to see who I can find some replacement nichrome coil material to replace this one that I've patched together with scraping the oxidation off the wire surfaces and then crimping small 18-22AWG sleeves onto. Inside the chrome housing is a couple layers of mica insulation, as the coil surfaces are at line potential. I've slipped in a layer of fishpaper, though not sure what it's burn rating is.

While it's working again after patching the coil back together, I don't trust it. The Coil Resistance is 15.5 ohms....unit pulls 7.75A @ 120VAC (as read on my working unit, and this one draws the same).

I've looked thru what's on ebay, with no luck, as well as googled it in numerous forms.

Has anyone ever repaired these before? As there's NO circuit protection should the coil open and spring up to short layers, I'm in the process of building an in-line circuit breaker box for using these, just in case.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Heat Gun-assembled-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	874759 Click image for larger version

Name:	Heat Gun, Front Nozzel Removed-1.jpg
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	874760 Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater Coil Assy-1.jpg
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	874761 Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater Coil Assy-2.jpg
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	874762 Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater Coil Assy-3.jpg
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	874763 Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater Coil Assy-4.jpg
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	874764
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

I would look at older clothes dryer elements (and repair kits for same).
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Sorry but neither JB Weld nor fish paper are up to the task.
      The first one will first become so weak as to crumble if subject to pressure or vibration, the second will plain catch fire.

Maybe you can recycle and adapt a hair dryer element, although those are lower powered; count on, say, new high being equivalent to old low, and so on.

Still useful for some tasks.

Form where wire is wound will probably Mica or Micanite instead of Ceramic but that may hold anyway.

You might make a functional resistor winding standard Nichrome wire around a knitting needle to make the basic spiral resistor and then wind it around the heat resistant form.

Or maybe somebody makes a similar heating element you can kludge in there.

I trust your McGiverish abilities
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
        Sorry but neither JB Weld nor fish paper are up to the task.
        The first one will first become so weak as to crumble if subject to pressure or vibration, the second will plain catch fire.

Maybe you can recycle and adapt a hair dryer element, although those are lower powered; count on, say, new high being equivalent to old low, and so on.

Still useful for some tasks.

Form where wire is wound will probably Mica or Micanite instead of Ceramic but that may hold anyway.

You might make a functional resistor winding standard Nichrome wire around a knitting needle to make the basic spiral resistor and then wind it around the heat resistant form.

Or maybe somebody makes a similar heating element you can kludge in there.

I trust your McGiverish abilities
        I was only guessing as to what the tan-colored form is made from. It cracked cleanly in two up near the top, and, I just took a chance with the JB Weld Epoxy.

The Fish Paper was a thought, though I wasn't able to find any flame rating on it. It is at least easy to remove, and I did find a source for sheet Mica...3" x 4". The inside surface of the housing for this heater assembly lines that surface. I saw some damage to it, so that was just a first attempt. I had only briefly powered it up, but, just didn't feel secure in blindly using it.

Onward with the search for materials. I believe there are some resources for coil-wound NiChrome wire similar to what was used in this assembly. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
          I was only guessing as to what the tan-colored form is made from. It cracked cleanly in two up near the top, and, I just took a chance with the JB Weld Epoxy.

The Fish Paper was a thought, though I wasn't able to find any flame rating on it. It is at least easy to remove, and I did find a source for sheet Mica...3" x 4". The inside surface of the housing for this heater assembly lines that surface. I saw some damage to it, so that was just a first attempt. I had only briefly powered it up, but, just didn't feel secure in blindly using it.

Onward with the search for materials. I believe there are some resources for coil-wound NiChrome wire similar to what was used in this assembly. Thanks.
          Nevetslab, if you're going to heat epoxy, wear your resperator. Nasty fumes.
          Last edited by ric; 07-16-2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ric View Post
            Nevetslab, if you're going to heat epoxy, wear your resperator. Nasty fumes.
            Starting over with this heater element, and with the insides of the nozzle-housing that contains this heating element on the heat gun.

I've identified the heater coil material.....Kanthal AF (Fe-Cr-Al) Iron-Chrome-Aluminum alloy, 24AWG, which has a resistance of 2.069 ft. The coil assy on the other heat gun is about 13 ohms. That works out to be around 6.3 ft of this wire. I haven't been able to find any pre-wound Kanthal AF coil wire having this small OD as used, but have found the wire itself, not too expensive. I suppose I can give a try at winding a new coil around a 0.080" OD shaft....which doesn't sound like a lot of fun. The length of the coil, having used a similar dia cable wound around the coil form was about 2.4 ft in length. I know winding that 24AWG wire into a 2ft+ coil, with some length for the straight-wire ends to attach to the pins will be accumulated in winding the small dia coil, but somehow winding up 3 times the length into that small OD coil seems wrong. Won't know until I try, I guess.

ADT2001_12_17_KAF_ENG.pdf

Once the existing 'repaired' coil is removed from the coil form, I can scrape away the excess Epoxy, leaving what was used to bond the two halves together. And, as Juan said, that bond will no doubt fail if I can get this new heater coil created. I didn't even stop to check what the temperature rating of JB Weld was.....550 deg f max, so yes, that WILL fail.

Putting that fish paper inside over the 1 mil thick flexible Mica (or at least that's what I assume it is), since there was already damage to that material from when the heater failed, removing the fishpaper, which had an adhesive backing, that ripped out one layer in the process. There was still another layer of that material, which appeared to have some sort of bond to the steel housing. So, this has turned into a can of worms.

Looking down the throat of my working heat gun, it's coil assy is glowing red hot, so there is serious temperature on the inside surface of the housing, which has to be insulating the housing from the line-voltage potential that's on the coil itself. My initial browsing on the internet for flexible mica hasn't been encouraging.

Comment

classic heat guns!

modern ones sometimes do better heat control, I'm getting one of these at work
              German Steinel HL 2020 E Professional Heat Gun, digital control (in 10F steps) from 120-1150F
              the gun alone is $220, but for some reason the Silver kit (which includes plastic welder tip, case, SMD air tip etc) is only $169 on my Amazon, go figure
              https://www.amazon.com/Steinel-Profe...06XDCYRQ5?th=1

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                classic heat guns!

modern ones sometimes do better heat control, I'm getting one of these at work
                German Steinel HL 2020 E Professional Heat Gun, digital control (in 10F steps) from 120-1150F
                the gun alone is $220, but for some reason the Silver kit (which includes plastic welder tip, case, SMD air tip etc) is only $169 on my Amazon, go figure
                https://www.amazon.com/Steinel-Profe...06XDCYRQ5?th=1
                I've always admired the Steinel heat guns, as well as the Leister products. I think it was The Dude who had come across a really inexpensive probe-like heat gun with a collection of nozzles for use on SMD devices. I bought one just to have a look, it being only $36, free shpg out of China. I also tracked down a replacement heater assy for it while still available.

This current project is one of those that seemed like there would be a simple solution. Would have been simpler if I had hi temp adhesives on hand, and hadn't managed to damage the insulating hi temp film lining the insides of the housing in close contact with the heater assy. I think I can wind a new heater from the Kanthal AF wire that's inbound (though we'll see on that!). Trying to find a suitable and purchasable insulation film to replace what was on the insides of the nozzle housing is what's challenging me now. I did find some hi temp woven ceramic cloth material good to 2600 deg F (from Cotronics), but, it doesn't look like something I can purchase in very small qty. Kapton film doesn't seem like it has high enough temp range.

The material lining the insides of the housing seems like its a mica-like product...1 mil thick, cracks/tears like mica or perhaps muscovite, but, where to buy it in 2" wide x short length is the problem. Not like I don't have a working heat gun that's been with me since the 70's.....I just hate being defeated by one.
                Last edited by nevetslab; 07-17-2019, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Wouldn't the same type of insulator from a hair dryer work? Lots of them around thrift stores here for very cheap.
                  Or would they not be sufficient temp.?
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

the resistance wire frames were (and still are) mica, the more flexible material lining the barrel could be silica fabric, which Mcmaster C sells in small quantities, not too expensive

Name:	silica fabric McMaster carr.JPG
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	854305
                    Adhesives are an issue though, silicone could survive but is a piss poor glue.

Comment

If you have a ceramics/ pottery supplier nearby it could be worth a look. Some of them carry supplies for electric kilns such as nichrome wire and probably some hi-temp adhesives. They would likely sell in small quantities too.

Comment

This place says they have one (down the page a bit), but you have to email for a quote and who knows what they'll charge for it.

https://www.store.crimptools.com/ind...display&page=8
                        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                          the resistance wire frames were (and still are) mica, the more flexible material lining the barrel could be silica fabric, which Mcmaster C sells in small quantities, not too expensive
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]54362[/ATTACH]
                          Adhesives are an issue though, silicone could survive but is a piss poor glue.
                          I must have missed this listing yesterday while I was at McMaster-Carr. I just ordered a 2ft length of stainless steel #2-56 threaded rod, OD of 0.086" for use as the winding core from them for winding the 24AWG Kanthal AF wire in making the replacement heater coil. Rats. I just purchased some high temp mica paper, offered for use as replacement material inside heat guns thru Amazon.com.

Name:	Maslin Hi Temp mica paper.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	854310 https://www.amazon.com/Maslin-Temper...ag=d_2b_a_p-20

I'll be able to salvage the high temp core from the heat gun, and have found some high temperature ceramic adhesive suitable for repairing the break in the core. I'll see how the core stands up, once I've removed the old heater coil and grind away the overspill from the previous glue job.

If this mica paper doesn't do the job, I'll obtain some of this material you found.

I had considered the alternate core forms we've seen used in hair driers and other replacement heater assemblies. Those, however, leave you with the mechanical interface problem that was solved by the original heater core. This second heat gun doesn't have the original mesh grille on the end of the gun's nozzle, but, not really a problem, as I always have the reducing nozzle in place.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                            This place says they have one (down the page a bit), but you have to email for a quote and who knows what they'll charge for it.

https://www.store.crimptools.com/ind...display&page=8
                            Nice find! I sent the RFQ......hope it was sent, as there wasn't the usual response one sees on a website after poking their Send button.

I bought one of those inexpensive heat guns like you found on ebay....so far, just have used it for heat shrink applications. I did find ebay had replacement heater elements for them, and ordered one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-GJ8018-...8AAOSwAuNW6Td1

Comment

Kanthal A1 Wire arrived, heater coil formed & wound

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                              I must have missed this listing yesterday while I was at McMaster-Carr. I just ordered a 2ft length of stainless steel #2-56 threaded rod, OD of 0.086" for use as the winding core from them for winding the 24AWG Kanthal AF wire in making the replacement heater coil. Rats. I just purchased some high temp mica paper, offered for use as replacement material inside heat guns thru Amazon.com.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54368[/ATTACH] https://www.amazon.com/Maslin-Temper...ag=d_2b_a_p-20

I'll be able to salvage the high temp core from the heat gun, and have found some high temperature ceramic adhesive suitable for repairing the break in the core. I'll see how the core stands up, once I've removed the old heater coil and grind away the overspill from the previous glue job.

If this mica paper doesn't do the job, I'll obtain some of this material you found.

I had considered the alternate core forms we've seen used in hair driers and other replacement heater assemblies. Those, however, leave you with the mechanical interface problem that was solved by the original heater core. This second heat gun doesn't have the original mesh grille on the end of the gun's nozzle, but, not really a problem, as I always have the reducing nozzle in place.
                              This morning, after removing the old coil from the coil form, and spending the time to cut, scrape & file off the epoxy overspill from the coil form, I got it down to the bare surface. The Kanthal A1 wire arrived at that point, so I stopped to contemplate a winding tool that would set a fixed spacing between coil turns on the 2 ft long #2-56 threaded shaft, which would be chucked into my variable speed drill motor, with the other end sitting inside a small dia brass tube as an end to a poor-man's winding lathe. After coming up with a concept, I cut off a 2" length of Delrin round stock I had on hand, put it in the vise to machine two flat's on one end, then squared one side up, and drilled a 0.093" dia hole thru the width. Then, drilled a 0.028" dia hold spaced in from the edge to form a steady 0.040" space between core coils during the winding operation. I had to file an angled relief on that side to allow the wire to wind onto the shaft. I gave that a try, and as crude as it was, it wound an evenly spaced coil wrapped around the long threaded shaft. The first coil broke when the wire hung up on the end of the first layer, so wound it off that long mandril, and measured the resistance, it being about 10" in long. 11 ohms already. OK, seems like the 0.040" spacing is too tight. No matter, pulling on the coil from both ends, it stretches out just fine.

So, wound another one, it being way too long as it turned out. Using the ohmmeter, I found where it would be 15.6 ohms, and cut the coil there. Then, spent time stretching the coil, keeping it evenly spaced, until I had 22" of coil length, having found the length factor earlier with a similar dia cable wrapped around the core.

The rest was pretty easy....though the hardest part was getting that wire wrapped around the cheeze-head screws of the terminal pins in the base, without breaking anything.

Name:	Heater Coil Form-2.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	854315 Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater Coil Form-6.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	854316 Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater Coil Form-7.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	854317 Click image for larger version

Name:	Coil winding spacing tool-2.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	854318 Click image for larger version

Name:	Coil winding spacing tool-1.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	854319

Now, just waiting for the mica paper insulation material to arrive. This would have been easier with a NOS replacement heater assy, but, not as much of a challenge. The Kanthal A1 wire cost me $4, free shpg, the long Stainless Steel #2-56 threaded rod, along with a bag of mating nuts and washers was only $5 (shpg was extra, but having bought materials for the shop, that was billed to those monthly expenses). The insulation material was about $14....it being the most expensive item. I still haven't received a quote on the NOS heater The Dude found listed on someone's website. So, getting close. I found JB Weld has a product called ExtremeHeat, good for 2400 deg F/1300 Deg C for $10 and bought some of that in case the core breaks open again during use, it having been glued together with JB Weld before checking it's temperature rating.
                              Last edited by nevetslab; 07-19-2019, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X