Ampeg BR4 amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg BR4 amp

Have an ampeg BR4 amp is stated as in mono bridge mode starts crackly sounds then dies out. Works in Stereo mode. (note cable still stays on mono terminals)
    Just pondering the power amp inputs if dirty could cause this?

Granted I played it for a while tonight but couldn't recreate it cutting out did hear the crackly noises which would disappear when changing switch from mono to stereo.

Can you clean the ampeg stacked switches?

Thanks,
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

B4R maybe? You can clean those switches, but it's not real easy. Spray the cleaner in right beside the actuator near the spring and use gravity (tip the amp) to let it flow down inside the switch. Then, work the switch several times. It's worked for me in the past.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      B4R maybe? You can clean those switches, but it's not real easy. Spray the cleaner in right beside the actuator near the spring and use gravity (tip the amp) to let it flow down inside the switch. Then, work the switch several times. It's worked for me in the past.
      yea dyslexic fingers.....I will give that a shot, cause he wants to replace the switch(or switches since it's stacked) and the whole board has to come out. That's why I was wondering if preampout poweramp in jacks could cause that( guess I could jumper to answer that.)

nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
        yea dyslexic fingers.....
        Funny, from a guy called nosaj.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          Funny, from a guy called nosaj.
          Well it was kinda derived from me going backward as far as technology is concerned. Went from computer networks to tubes and now I'm a cabinet sprayer and a ham. i get to play with things now that my family could not afford when I was young.

nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
            Well it was kinda derived from me going backward as far as technology is concerned. Went from computer networks to tubes and now I'm a cabinet sprayer and a ham. i get to play with things now that my family could not afford when I was young.

nosaj
            Cool.

Just keep us updated when you upgrade to flint tools and raw dinosaur steaks

As of the switch, you may try loading a regular medical syringe with plain kerosene, flood the switch and as suggested above, flip it both sides many times, since the unused contacts must be quite tarnished by now.

I suggest unsophisticated kerosene over more technically advanced cleaners bnecause in practice it works quite well (actual cleaning action is mechanical; solvent only helps grit float away) and the main point is its being just a volatile solvent.

You can make a mess without guilt, it will fully evaporate with no residue whatsoever.

As a side bonus, itīs a mild solvent (although it dissolves grease and wax very well) which does not attack plastic.
            Last edited by J M Fahey; 07-24-2019, 03:45 AM.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
              Cool.

Just keep us updated when you upgrade to flint tools and raw dinosaur steaks

As of the switch, you may try loading a regular medical syringe with plain kerosene, flood the switch and as suggested above, flip it both sides many times, since the unused contacts must be quite tarnished by now.

I suggest unsophisticated kerosene over more technically advanced cleaners bnecause in practice it works quite well (actual cleaning action is mechanical; solvent only helps grit float away) and the main point is its being just a volatile solvent.

You can make a mess without guilt, it will fully evaporate with no residue whatsoever.

As a side bonus, itīs a mild solvent (although it dissolves grease and wax very well) which does not attack plastic.
              Guess I'd have to grow me some dino steaks in the petri.

Update, flushing the switch with CRC QD electronic cleaner worked like a charm.

nosaj

Comment

Working...
              X