mounting radial power supply caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mounting radial power supply caps

I gave up on doing this (power supply with radial caps) the previous build since I had a turret board with the old configuration already, but the next supro type thing is a parts-caster type build. I have some radial caps the right electrical value.

Found a really neat build on one of those facebook groups. Thinking about something like this, but question for y'all: I think it needs some mechanical mount for the body of the cap. The leads are bent so the cap mount will be "springy". What if I did something like this, but put a long nylon screw into the board, nut on both sides, mount it to its tight to the side of the cap, then put a small tie wrap around the cap and screw? Sounds a little tedious but its only 4 caps.

The caps I got a re all 105C long life 500v! Could not even find anything like that in old axial config guitar amp type.

Click image for larger version

Name:	radial_ps_oo1_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	874781

Click image for larger version

Name:	radial_ps_oo2_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	874782

Or, what about laying the cap down against the board, soldering the leads sideways to the turrets, then glue or tie wrap the cap body to the board?

Thanks!
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

In the above build, they also put resistors right under the caps, which seems like would affect the life of the cap when they get roasting.
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post

Or, what about laying the cap down against the board, soldering the leads sideways to the turrets, then glue or tie wrap the cap body to the board?
      I can't really address your concern, but of the two options you mention I can say I have definitely seen many amp builds with radial caps mounted sideways. The issue of vibration is then solved by some type of epoxy or silicon I would think.

Wish i could be of more help.

Comment

[QUOTE]Or, what about laying the cap down against the board, soldering the leads sideways to the turrets, then glue or tie wrap the cap body to the board?/QUOTE]

THat!^^^^^^^^
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The picture of caps mounted up high on springy leads over a built-in capacitor roaster resistor is about as bad a way to mount them as I can think of. The failure rate ought to be high on that. The comments are right - lay them down and secure them to the board with either cable ties or glue. My favorite is non-acetic acid curing silicon caulk. It gives both a tenacious hold and a rubbery, vibration absorbing mounting.

Radials are intended to mount with the leads-end flush on a board so the radius of the case can brace it against flexing. Up in the air, it'll bend and break the leads or the mounting.

Notice that the non-leads end of the cap is common with one of the terminals, usually the negative one. Check this with your ohmmeter and ensure that you don't create a shock or failure hazard by allowing contact with the metal at the "top".
          Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

I'm gonna ask again... Chuck H., I know you say you didn't create it, but do you have that EXCEPTIONAL graphic on how to do this with radials on a turret board, & can you post it again?

Jusrin
            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Awesome, thanks everyone, way cool. Just ordered two tubes of
              https://www.alliedelec.com/product/g...-155/70159837/
              I'll post photos when get the caps mounted.

Comment

Working...
              X