strat pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strat pickups

I just wired up a calibrated set of strat pickups and running into a problem that's got me stumped. Hoping someone else might shed some light. The pickups all work great in the 1,2,3 and 5 position. For some reason the d string (and only the d string) on my guitar is really weak when I go to the 4 (neck and middle). The d string output is fine with neck or middle alone though. Help!!!

Some more info needed.
    Is the Set RWRP?
    Check the polarity of the D string magnets in the Neck and middle?
    If It is RWRP set, and the polarity is wrong on the neck D magnet, that may be what's wrong with it.
    If that is what it is, you may need to reverse mgnetize the neck D magnet.
    Just a guess.
    Anyone else got any ideas?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thanks for the tip. It does seem like a d pole somehow changed polarity. The middle is RWRP. In general the pickups are reading south up on the neck and bridge and north up middle. I can't imagine how one pole could change but sounds right. I will check it out. Unfortunately my compass won't isolate over one pole and I don't have one of those stew mac specials that will go over the top of one pole but I will figure it out.

Comment

My guess would be when it was assembled the mgnets were already charged, and one got turned over.
        With the pickup out, I would just recharge all poles in the neck pickup the same, and go from there.
        GL,
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Rock Bottom View Post
          Unfortunately my compass won't isolate over one pole and I don't have one of those stew mac specials that will go over the top of one pole
          You could use a rod magnet from a scrap pickup. Hold it over each magnet pole of the suspect pickup to make sure all six either repel or attract.

Comment

I appreciate the tips big_teee and Dave H. I finally got a chance to work on my guitar over the weekend and I ended up just re magnetizing the neck pickup. This took care of the problem and all is good. Thanks a million!

Comment

Working...
            X